x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 2:16 PM
#
CardBoardCrusader - 2005-06-07 11:26 AM

Okay, so a j72x isn't so bad...

But I really want to get a MP790 because it's much cheaper than the j72x's. And I really like the way it was designed. I absolutely MUST have the larger screen and keyboard, even though it's not as clear as the j72x. MP790's have slower processors (StrongArm 206mhz vs. MIPS 168mhz), but I can live with it.

Sorry I am so stubborn about this. I took your feedback seriously.

If there is nothing SERIOUSLY wrong with the MP790, I will get one. However, I need to know where I can get one for cheap, with the PC sync cable, AC adapter, etc.

I've got to say that I can't find anything seriously wrong with my MP790... My only real issue is how hard it is to read outdoors in sunlight (ack!), everything else isn't really important

For some actual pictures of the 790, I've got one or two with my hand in it for comparison (I'm 6'4" 230lbs and I have NO issues at all with typing on it, it's actually rather comfortable).

Excuse the dust on the screen, I'm a slob. And please excuse the blemishes on my hand, it's almost summer and the damn mosquitos are out in full force.

Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 6:30 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

corporate - 2005-06-08 7:16 PM

CardBoardCrusader - 2005-06-07 11:26 AM

Okay, so a j72x isn't so bad...

But I really want to get a MP790 because it's much cheaper than the j72x's. And I really like the way it was designed. I absolutely MUST have the larger screen and keyboard, even though it's not as clear as the j72x. MP790's have slower processors (StrongArm 206mhz vs. MIPS 168mhz), but I can live with it.

Sorry I am so stubborn about this. I took your feedback seriously.

If there is nothing SERIOUSLY wrong with the MP790, I will get one. However, I need to know where I can get one for cheap, with the PC sync cable, AC adapter, etc.

I've got to say that I can't find anything seriously wrong with my MP790... My only real issue is how hard it is to read outdoors in sunlight (ack!), everything else isn't really important

For some actual pictures of the 790, I've got one or two with my hand in it for comparison (I'm 6'4" 230lbs and I have NO issues at all with typing on it, it's actually rather comfortable).

Excuse the dust on the screen, I'm a slob. And please excuse the blemishes on my hand, it's almost summer and the damn mosquitos are out in full force.

I absoutely agree!! Ever since I had my MP780 (I don't have the ROM board to make it a 790, but it is possible! ), it has changed my life further than my iPAQ, to think that these things are rare anyway.

These things are useful on the trains I use everyday to get to college and will fit on my lap if I so happen to use the bus, but as I have mentioned before, it isn't sunlight readable!
(To be technical, the trains I use are 2001 to 2003 Adtranz built "Class 377 'Electrostars' " and they don't have laptop sockets in units (377)101-169, 301 - 323 and the units numbered 201 - 219(?) are debateable! If you are in the UK and happen to be on the New Southern Rail network and your PDA and/or laptop needs a charge, look for any units that have the number of 377 4xx on the front (xx being the 2 digit number) and ask the guard if you can use the first class section if you have a standard class ticket, he probably will let you get away with it. - Southern wanted to convert their passangers into train spotters didn't they!)

Sorry, that comment was a bit technical! Heres a photograph of my Mobile Pro on a mini table on one of these electrostars, sorry for the poor camera quality, it was taken on my Nokia 3650 mobile phone! My digit cam broke over 2 weeks ago!

and here is a pic of a electrostar, reboot, c***-o-star, s***-o-star, slammer killer, or what you want to call them (except conf-o-stars!):

BTW, of interest, I'd probably be following someones website, but for newbies, I was thinking of putting down some info about decision, usability and recommended options for a mobile pro. Would anyone be interested? (BTW, it would be on my train/art infested website of http://wen.trainzlocomotiveworks.com/)
 Top of the page
pro_01 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-09 6:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

hey, what about the psion netbook pro? i once was a great fan of their products. but at some point i found they are lacking power, the software is kind of strange and their prices are noticeably higher than all the competitors'. even than the better ones. i puctured the same case as mac vs pc and i thought there should be a reason for that, but i am still unable to figure it out. from all the psion models, it seems only the netbook pro deserves attention. so is there a reason, except being a die hard fan to own it?
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-06-09 10:26 PM
#
pro_01 - 2005-06-09 4:44 PM

hey, what about the psion netbook pro? i once was a great fan of their products. but at some point i found they are lacking power, the software is kind of strange and their prices are noticeably higher than all the competitors'. even than the better ones. i puctured the same case as mac vs pc and i thought there should be a reason for that, but i am still unable to figure it out. from all the psion models, it seems only the netbook pro deserves attention. so is there a reason, except being a die hard fan to own it?

I think the biggest issue with the high-end psions (esp the netbook pro) is that they're a lot higher in price than the MP780s,790s,900s and the high end Jornadas. The Netbook Pro looks like a really nice machine.. but a really nice machine way way out of my price range.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-06-10 1:17 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Aside from the high price as mentioned, the NBP is also larger than the usual HPCs. More like the size of an MP880. Similarly, it weights more too.

Another thing is that it uses Pocket On-Schedule as its PIM, which is not compatible with Pocket Outlook. That means you can use their software to sync with PC Outlook, but cannot use a third party sync software for anything else on the PC.

However you can always install other PIM software. Even tho CE .Net does not come with Pocket Outlook, it does support applications that use the Pocket Outlook database. The MP900C comes with such a PIM (I think).

I believe it doesn't have USB sync. So you are left with serial or network sync options.

Also a member reported that its video performance was poor. Altho my memory can't be more specific. For more details, do a search for that thread, "Potential Smartbook owner" I think.

Other than the above, the NBP has everything other HPCs have. Large screen, good keyboard, lots of ports, the works.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 9:17 PM
#
I'm Back!

Sorry I was gone so long. I don't have internet at the moment and I can only check this at a brother's house.

Nice Pics by the way, thanks for helping me with my uncertainties.

With the wisdom you people have given me, I have decided it is time to start looking for a MP790. But now for the hard part. Where? I know Ebay has some MP790's but they are always missing a stylus or cord or something. I'm looking for an MP790 in decent condition, with all of the stuff included.
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-06-13 1:26 AM
#
CardBoardCrusader - 2005-06-12 7:17 PM

I'm Back!

Sorry I was gone so long. I don't have internet at the moment and I can only check this at a brother's house.

Nice Pics by the way, thanks for helping me with my uncertainties.

With the wisdom you people have given me, I have decided it is time to start looking for a MP790. But now for the hard part. Where? I know Ebay has some MP790's but they are always missing a stylus or cord or something. I'm looking for an MP790 in decent condition, with all of the stuff included.

The hpcbay is where I got mine, I'd start there. You can also try other H/PC web sites (don't ask me where though, here's all I come to). Ebay's still a decent option and a lot of the 790's you see on there (there aren't many to choose from, unfortunately) seem to come from other HPC owners who generally take good care of them.

And holy crap, ebay is FLOODED with 780s right now. I've never seen so many on there.

Edited by corporate 2005-06-13 1:31 AM
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2005-06-13 12:03 PM
#
Thanks corporate. I'll check HPCbay.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10