x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Software for wince 5.0 on 4.2

ricola Page Icon Posted 2009-05-30 11:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,
I hope anybody can help me.
I try to install a software made for wince 5 on a wince 4.2 device.
With executabilitycheck I found that the main problem is coredll.dll
I made following found in another forum:
Took another coredll.dll rename it to coredl2.dll, copied to the folder where the application.exe is, run
executabilitycheck and rewrite lib name from coredll.dll to coredl2.dll
Than the message appears in executabilitycheck "Coredl2.dll" can't be loaded"
I can also copy the Coredl2.dll to the windows folder of the original coredll.dll, still the same message.
What does that mean?

Another question, sometimes executabilitycheck creates an additional .exe let's say if you check application.exe,
afterwards there is an additional applicationcheck.exe
What does that mean?

Is there anywhere a good description of the tool executabilitycheck

Thanks in advance!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-30 4:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It means it hasn't finished checking the file. That file is created by Executability Check to examine the file. It normally autodeletes when it's done; when this doesn't happen right away, it usually means it's gotten stuck checking one part of the file.

The version of coredl2.dll you're using may not be compatible with your device, even with the OS version changed. For example, the application may be written for the X-Scale processor, and your device may have a StrongARM processor. Which CE 4.2 .net device do you have?
 Top of the page
ricola Page Icon Posted 2009-06-01 11:36 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for your feedback!
That means, I haven't done wrong but have the wrong coredl2.dll?

My device is a Sony NV-u93T GPS with ARM 720 processor.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-06-01 12:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It can mean that you have the wrong coredll.dll, but it can also mean that executeability check is simply interpreting that it is wrong, and it may not be, it may be some other entirelly different problem, such as some other missing library.

You will find that most all CE5 software does not run on CE.NET without extensive hexediting, including changing the cpu type, adding libraries, etc.

You best hope is to stick to CE3, or PPC2003 programs and try to get those versions running on CE.NET machines.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-01 3:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Rich's point is well taken. I haven't even succeeded in getting any Windows Mobile 5 (CE 5.1 - 5.01, actually) apps working in CE 5.0 thus far. (Where are you finding CE 5.0 apps anyway? )

I'm thinking my original hypothesis about the processor difference may still be valid, as I don't believe that the ARM720 is thumb-enabled like the Intel PXA processor. (I could be wrong, though. )
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-06-01 3:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

And not to mention that there are many many coredll.dlls out there, each a little different than the next one, each tailored for a specific hardware device...

I actually have gotten a couple of CE5 programs to work by hexediting the cpu identifier from C201 to C001...but they were very simplistic programs, and they didn't have any involvement with the today screen or any other direct screen writing...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-01 5:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm wrong about the ARM720, though - it appears that it is thumb-enabled, so that would appear to rule out processor incompatibility.
 Top of the page
ricola Page Icon Posted 2009-06-02 9:29 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks guys,

interpreting your answers means, either I find by big luck the right coredll.dll, or
better don't waste anymore time and accept the fact it will never be possible?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-06-02 2:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Not a waste of time when you confirm that something doesn't work...and fun when on that rare occasion you find something that does.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9