x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New Psion Netbook Pro owner

drewz21 Page Icon Posted 2009-06-03 7:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just recently purchased a Psion Netbook Pro on Ebay for about $130 US. I mainly bought it as an inexpensive device to do writing on.
A few quick questions if you don't mind.

1. What is the max size CF card it can use? I tried a few 4GB SD and SDHC cards and it would not read them. Reads up to 2GB SD's fine.
2. Is the PCMCIA slot 16 bit or 32 bit cardbus? I would like to get a PCMCIA card reader for it, preferrably SDHC capable and the only ones I've found have been 32 bit cardbus.
3. Any hints, tips, or suggestions you may have as an owner or user of the device.

Great website here!

Thanks,
Drew
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-03 8:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, we mind - stop asking questions. (Just kidding. )

1) I wish I had a megabyte of RAM for each time this question has been asked here. In theory, the device should read CF cards up to 32 GB; however, we're finding that CE devices are only recognizing half of the memory space of some newer 16 GB cards because of a different density formula in these larger cards. You should be fine with an 8 GB card, though. (That's where the three card slots come in handy on the NB Pro; however, as you've discovered, it won't read SDHC cards properly out of the box.)

2) No CE 4.2 .net or earlier device (including the NB Pro) supports CardBus cards. Only PCMCIA Type I and II cards will work in that slot. (However, an SDHC-capable USB SD card reader will work in the NB Pro - and many earlier USB-enabled CE devices as well.)

3) One thing to know is that the NB Pro has a persistent registry, so when soft resetting it's a good idea to use the built-in software soft reset utility (\Windows\warmboot.exe) instead of the reset hole when possible, to ensure that you save and maintain the most current settings. (I created a link for warmboot.exe in the Start Menu.)

Enjoy your Netbook Pro - it's a really handy device.
 Top of the page
drewz21 Page Icon Posted 2009-06-03 8:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks so much for the info! Really enjoying the device so far.

One other question, what Wi-Fi card are you using and what do you recommend?

Thanks again,
Drew
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-03 9:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I usually use the NB Pro for browsing when I'm on the road and no WiFi network or Ethernet connection is available, using a Sierra AirCard 860 with the SIM card from my cell phone. For WiFi, I almost always use my Agere-based cards (Agere ORiNOCO Classic Gold [PCMCIA], Roku SoundBridge [CF]), which work flawlessly.
 Top of the page
drewz21 Page Icon Posted 2009-06-03 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you again!
 Top of the page
drewz21 Page Icon Posted 2009-06-04 7:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just got my Cisco 350 wireless card I got off Ebay for my Psion Netbook Pro. I plugged it in and worked great. No drivers to install or anything. I'm very impressed and very happy with it. Works like a charm!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9