x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

All in one car GPS navigation (win ce 5) Changes disappear after reboot

Venomeus Page Icon Posted 2009-06-06 1:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, as I said in header I have All in one GPS car navigation with WinCE 5. It's in Chinese language. I found here some tips how to change language to english. It's working but there is a problem because if I reset this device (It isn't hard reset. I just take out the car key from engine starter) any changes disappear. So I am desperate. Does anyone know what should i have to do to keep installed files? Thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-06 4:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

A lot of current GPS devices are doing this. I'm starting to think they may have persistent registries, like a lot of CE 5 subnotebooks do. If you've unlocked the CE 5 desktop, use a registry editor or Total Commander to navigate to the root of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to see if there's a key there called "RegPersisted."
 Top of the page
Venomeus Page Icon Posted 2009-06-07 4:34 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yes, there's key called "RegPersisted" and data value of this key is "1".
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-07 5:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Try changing the value to 0 and then resetting to see if your changes remain.
 Top of the page
Venomeus Page Icon Posted 2009-06-07 5:52 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've tried it but changes disappeared after reset. I've found another "RegPersisted" key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. So I've changed both keys to "0" but after reset values were "1" again.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-07 5:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

By chance, is there any kind of internal flash storage folder in My Computer?
 Top of the page
Venomeus Page Icon Posted 2009-06-07 5:56 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

There is "NAND Flash"- What should I find there?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-07 6:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

See if there's a \Windows folder inside. If so, you may be able to use that folder to place the MUI file - and if there's a \Programs folder inside \NandFlash\Windows, you can put Start Menu shortcuts there to make them remain after restarting the GPS device. (The latter - and probably the former as well - will require a registry edit, however: go to HKLM/System/Explorer/Shell Folders and change the location value there for the "Programs" key to the location inside the NAND flash. You can do the same thing with the "Desktop" key to make the desktop icons permanent as well. Maybe we'll get lucky and those registry changes will stay after restting.)

Edited by CE Geek 2009-06-07 7:00 PM
 Top of the page
Venomeus Page Icon Posted 2009-06-08 4:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've copied folder "Windows" to "NandFlash" and changed keys in register as you advised me. There's improvement after reset! Changes in register remained but only in "HKLM/System/Explorer/Shell Folders". Desktop remained as I wanted. However language turned back to chinese. MUI files in "\NandFlash\Windows" remained but from original "\Windows" disappeared. I've tried to change "RegPersisted" key to "0" but after reset it turned back to "1".
I'm glad there's a progress, so I thank you.
I think I need to find some way how to copy MUI files automatically after switching on to original "\Windows" folder or may be somehow change some keys in register to device boot from "\NandFlash\Windows" instead of original "\Windows".
Any Ideas?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-08 9:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's what I expected thus far, so that's a good sign. If you successfully copied the entire \Windows folder (with all its contents) into \NandFlash, then you may be able to boot it from \NandFlash\Windows by changing the location value for the "Windows" key in HKLM/System/Explorer/Shell Folders to that location. Then delete the Chinese MUI file from \NandFlash\Windows, and replace it with gwes.exe.0409.mui. Then soft reset the device.
 Top of the page
Venomeus Page Icon Posted 2009-06-09 5:54 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've got a problem, I have MUI files only for WinCE 4.2 and there's no "gwes.exe.0409.mui". Don't you have MUI files for WinCE 5 please?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-09 6:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm afraid you'll have to talk to cmonex about that (in the other thread where you posted).
 Top of the page
Venomeus Page Icon Posted 2009-06-17 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Don't you have cmonex's email please?? She doesn't answer me. Or don't you know any other source of mui files for WinCE 5. I haven't found anything...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-06-18 1:29 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Click on the "Profile" button on her post in the other thread. You'll find her e-mail address in her profile.
 Top of the page
Venomeus Page Icon Posted 2009-06-26 7:28 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I think that I won't find mui files for wince 5, so I have to work with 4.2 mui files. As I said there's no "gwes.exe.0409.mui", just "gwes.exe". However I can't copy this file to my "NandFlash\Windows", maybe it's last file I need to copy to have device in english. I've tried to use total commander and windows interface for copying but it doesn't succeed. Other problem is with calibration, every time when I switch on device I have to calibrate screen, it's annoying. Is there any way how I can save calibration forever? :-)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9