x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Mintpad has a WinCE native mode

[Frozen]
1 2 3 4
Frozen
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-24 5:18 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I just received my mintpad from UPS a few minutes ago! I took some obligatory unboxing photos and am currently charging the battery.

Leafing through the quick start guide, I noticed that towards the end under "Wi-Fi" precautions, it mentions "Do not use in crowded area." Below that the reason is "It may interfere with the heart pacemaker." I think this is the first Wi-Fi-enabled device that has cautioned against this. Also in the guide, it gives a table mentioning what the different LED colors indicate. It then shows pictoral examples of each different colored LED indicator - except the manual is all in black and white, so all three examples listed look exactly the same

It also seems that you cannot use the device while it is connected via USB.

Edited by mscdex 2009-09-24 5:38 PM
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-29 10:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well, after doing some experimentation, I managed to brick my mintpad already

Looks like I'll have to send it to South Korea to get it fixed.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-09-30 1:04 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I hope your mintpad is still a live pad.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-09-30 1:30 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I hope it doesn't live up to its name - in cost, that is.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-30 2:14 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Nah, it should only be about $12.30 to send it to South Korea, so not too bad. I did take some pictures awhile back when I had just unboxed it and started playing around with it. I'll upload them soon.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-02-13 1:24 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

anything else about this?
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-02-13 1:29 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I hope that your mintpad got better.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-02-13 2:21 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I was reading on their site in the FAQ & i see that if its been bricked, you can use a special mode and re flash it..Sounds pretty simple too.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2010-02-13 3:01 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

thcrw739 - 2010-02-13 9:21 AM

I was reading on their site in the FAQ & i see that if its been bricked, you can use a special mode and re flash it..Sounds pretty simple too.

No, I had to use that method once, but the last time I managed to screw it up even worse and the emergency reflash operation doesn't work in this case. I was trying to get it to stop the main mintpad apps from loading at startup, so I could use WinCE without any interference from the mintpad apps. However, during that time I managed to permanently brick it by replacing one of the mintpad apps. The mintpass bootloader progress bar shows up on the screen when powering on, but then it shows the app I replaced it with, but the touchscreen is nonfunctional. No buttons do anything and no amount of letting it sit there does anything either.

So unless there's some special ninja bootloader "hack" to get it working again, it's either I can bother sending it overseas or just take it as a loss and let it to continue collecting dust. Since my last post, I have been opting for the latter
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-02-13 3:39 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for the info.

Have you contacted them about it, I assume they are the ones that want you to send it?

Thinking about getting one eventually if i can get one under $100 , the price has gone down & they can be gotten of amazon & ebay.

I've been wanting a small device to replace my recently deceased mp4 player, that had a few more bonuses.

& Thanks for letting me know what not to do with it
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2010-02-13 4:06 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

thcrw739 - 2010-02-13 10:39 AM

Thanks for the info.

Have you contacted them about it, I assume they are the ones that want you to send it?

Thinking about getting one eventually if i can get one under $100 , the price has gone down & they can be gotten of amazon & ebay.

I've been wanting a small device to replace my recently deceased mp4 player, that had a few more bonuses.

& Thanks for letting me know what not to do with it

I did contact them many months ago about sending it back to them... but I don't know if it's worth the effort, since I wouldn't be using it anyway....

With that in mind, I went ahead and took it upon myself to disassemble the thing and take a peek inside. There was a small coin cell battery, but disconnecting it for any length of time didn't help any with my situation. By the way, the CPU inside is a Telechips TCC7901 for those who are interested.

According to this page, Telechips actually had Linux up and running on this chip.

Edited by mscdex 2010-02-13 4:08 PM
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-02-13 4:22 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Pretty decent device for its size i think, Certainly better than the other multifunction wifi mp4 player i was looking at.

& its not ipod touch or zune hd priced.

Besides being very mobile, I see it being useful at bedside for various things.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2010-02-13 4:43 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

thcrw739 - 2010-02-13 11:22 AM

Pretty decent device for its size i think, Certainly better than the other multifunction wifi mp4 player i was looking at.

& its not ipod touch or zune hd priced.

Besides being very mobile, I see it being useful at bedside for various things.

I suppose so.... but I've since moved on to the Archos 5 Android tablet, which I use on a daily basis.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-02-13 4:59 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well for newish, I have that Clarion MID, & eventually the V212 i purchased recently, & although i sold mine, my wife still has her mini 9 netbook & then razorbook 400 linux model
So im good on all sizes, except the ultra mobile.

Even if it only gets used for music and alarm, and a email/weather check, seems a good addition to complete the mix.

But again, it all depends how cheap i can get one, if it will be worth it to me.

Edited by thcrw739 2010-02-13 5:00 PM
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-02-13 6:03 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9