x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Best H/PC machine for linux/CE

Hideki Page Icon Posted 2009-06-17 7:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hihi

What's the best H/PC machine to look for if I intend to run both linux and windows ce?

I used to have a fairly large HP Jornada beast but looking at eBay, H/PC machines are fairly widespread and cheap now, some having colour displays etc.

I'd like something with an MMU if possible so I can fork() in my code but if that's not possible I won't be exactly shocked...

Suggestions please?

Thanks

--
Adam
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-06-17 8:19 PM
#
There really isn't a 'perfect' machine, but i'd have to say the hp jornada 728. It has good linux support which is still being actively developed, great battery life, pocketable and the extra 32 meg ram (vs a 720) makes it possible to use firefox at a decent speed. The NEC 900/900c also is decent, but larger in size, worse battery life and a flaky touch screen and has only 'the basics' working under linux.

Either way you do realize that after booting linux on either machine that it will 'hard reset' windows CE and you will have to run a backup/restore program to put your CE back to its previous state.

Cheers
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-06-18 11:17 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Hideki - 2009-06-17 1:59 PM

Hihi

What's the best H/PC machine to look for if I intend to run both linux and windows ce?

I used to have a fairly large HP Jornada beast but looking at eBay, H/PC machines are fairly widespread and cheap now, some having colour displays etc.

I'd like something with an MMU if possible so I can fork() in my code but if that's not possible I won't be exactly shocked...

Suggestions please?

Thanks

--
Adam

all of them have a MMU. this was kind of offensive you assumed there is an HPC that doesn't
best for this is maybe jornada 728 or nec mobilepro 900/900c.

PS: the latter doesn't need to hard reset to return to wince (if your CE ROM is installed in such a way)

Edited by cmonex 2009-06-18 11:17 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.328 - Cached queries : 40 - Executed queries : 29