x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE 1.0 to a 2000... eek!

Telstar5 Page Icon Posted 2009-07-03 12:16 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello there.

I've just won a Jornada 720 on eBay for the reasonable price of £38, and I just had a few queries.

Apologies if this is the same old stuff that all people new to HPC2000 ask, I tried browsing the forums but there only seems to be one page of threads. Nevermind, I wasn't looking at my screen hard enough

Here are my questions; will the bundled version of Internet Explorer work with social networking sites? I ask only because my girlfriend's laptop can't go online, and she likes to check up on her internet stuff in the morning (she has to use her phone's internet... eek!). I suppose the mobile versions will work just fine, no?

My second question, and this has a lot to do with everything really; I understand that there is an MSN client usable on the 720 called Microsoft Portrait. I do not have a sync cable for my 720, nor a cradle and certainly no IR port. I have this iMac and a heavy server upstairs with Windows 2000. My thinking is that I could just host a .cab file on my FTP server and download it using the integrated modem, but if it's anything Microsoft have made, it'll be one of those horrible installers that require connecting the handheld to the actual PC itself. Is there a place where I can get .cab files and just... download them straight onto the handheld?

Finally, probably one of the most asked questions of all time; will Doom run on this thing? I understand that it is possible, and I have seen a page where you can download the game engine, but I'm unsure of any .dll's I will need to run it. If there's a little archive somewhere full of files I could just download over a dial up connection, it would be greatly appreciated

Sorry again for asking generic and probably simple questions, I'm just a bit lost. I'm used to WinCE 1.0

Edited by Telstar5 2009-07-03 12:19 AM
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-07-03 5:52 PM
#
H/PC Elder

if you use search at top left... also bottom left of screen last option is time... leave it as all and click GO you will see all pages in the section going back years....

John
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2009-07-07 4:05 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you're talking about Facebook, it should work. You should be seeing the 'mobile' version, not the full one. The simplest way is just to try it.

MSN Portrait will not work. There are alternatives but I can't think of any at the moment.

Cheers
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2010-04-17 8:07 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Alternatives to Portrait for MSN: Pocket PC 2002 versions of IM+, AgileMessenger, J2ME IM clients like eBuddy via IBM's J9 for MIDP Java VM, various Jabber clients like iMov or bitlbee through any IRC client.
Hope this helps!

Also, it kinda sucks that good old Portrait was finally killed. I never did get a chance to try it when it was still working. It even supported x86 WinCE.
 Top of the page
farkzoli Page Icon Posted 2010-04-17 10:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Telstar5, MS Portrait v2.3 works on J720. I tried it with gprs phone over socket cf blue.
Here are cabs from PC installer. Hpc, ppc - arm, mips, sh3:

http://rapidshare.com/files/377069236/MS_Portrait_2_3.zip

HPCPRO_ARM.CAB will run without any dll hack.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-04-19 3:44 AM
#
H/PC Elite

No, Portrait doesn't work anymore. I tested it myself. It seems that the protocol it uses is too old and MSN Network doesn't support it anymore (there are about 5 or 6 months microsoft decided to leave support for MSN 7 and older - what includes Portrait). I use bittlbee and can't be happier! Get a nice IRC Client for Windows CE (there are many) and configure it to use the bitlbee server. It's perfect for MSN, AOL, Yahoo, etc etc.
Well, I have only macs too (good to see a friend from the apple world). What I do to install applications on my Jornada is copy the to my CF card. I have an USB CF Card reader, and so I just put the .cab files and install them. Sometimes the program comes only with a windows installer. In this case, I use a virtual WinXP on parallels with activesync just to extract the .cab files from the installer and copy them to my CF. It's pretty easy. Actually I think that it's easier than go through all the installation process.
About pocket ie, I don't think that you will like to use it. Really, ie on jornada sucks. It can't open any site! You will think that you jornada is a crap with this thing, and it isn't. Instead, install RedGear and than Opera. I can open any site using opera, including Orkut, Gmail, Yahoo, Forums, etc etc... and it's pretty fast.
And about Doom, I have it running on my Jornada 728, but I don't remember what version. Also, is not very comfortable to run it on jornada screen. The refresh rates of this LCD screen is too slow. Games sometimes display very blurry because of the fast moving objects. I use my jornada mostly for internet, documents and pdf.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2010-04-19 4:06 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

The CE 4.2 Messenger client doesn't work on HPC2000? I thought someone got it working at one point?
 Top of the page
farkzoli Page Icon Posted 2010-04-22 1:31 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

You are right. Long ago I used Portrait then was good. Now I tried and it can't log in.
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-04-22 5:42 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

mscdex - 2010-04-19 12:06 AM

The CE 4.2 Messenger client doesn't work on HPC2000? I thought someone got it working at one point?

iMov is very good at this point.

Edited by nathanpc 2010-04-22 5:45 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 13