x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Would a storage card this size even work with an H/PC Pro device?

btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 10:15 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

http://www.pretec.com/OnlineSales/SSD/Cheetah/Cheetah_Pages/Cheetah80X_12GB.htm

Yeah, a 12 GIGAbyte solid-state device in CF format. Not that I could imagine EVER needing that much storage (certainly not for that price!! But they all come down in price eventually). I vaguely recall something about CE 2.11 having an upper limit on storage media of something like 2355 MB? Then again, that baby would hold more than a few DVD's converted down to PocketTV size.

Edited by btrimmer 2005-06-07 10:24 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 12:10 AM
#
H/PC Elder

btrimmer - 2005-06-07 8:15 PM

http://www.pretec.com/OnlineSales/SSD/Cheetah/Cheetah_Pages/Cheetah80X_12GB.htm

Yeah, a 12 GIGAbyte solid-state device in CF format. Not that I could imagine EVER needing that much storage (certainly not for that price!! But they all come down in price eventually). I vaguely recall something about CE 2.11 having an upper limit on storage media of something like 2355 MB? Then again, that baby would hold more than a few DVD's converted down to PocketTV size.

hehe ... $9,999!! ... ... me think its a placeholder for now. but 12GB ... sounds like a mod-project to replace a notebook hdd with it.
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 12:10 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Pocket TV, I pretent not to have read that

I'd rather spend that money on a custom english SigIII, 12 extended batteries, 6x 2GB cards, and a bag to carry the stuff in instead. 12GB is nice to have, but for that price, most def not. Maybe even a laptop and some additional batteries, and still have money left to get me a nice '98 Celica thats on my list for years as well

I dont think a HPC would support such a size, but I would also not see a reason why I would get a 12GB either. My converted movie collection just went over 50gb this morning.

edit: darn snappy, same time, but he got here first.

Edited by PocketDVD 2005-06-08 12:12 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 7:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's one pricey mod-project, for a few thousand write operations before the card hits MTBF and kicks the bucket.

As the file system is independent from the Object Store (4GB/256MB max file size) the limitation is in the FAT32 driver, which should be identical to that of Windows at 32GB.

The best way to experiment though wouldn't be with a $1000 CF card
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 11:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

no, it ain't a $1,000 mod, it is a $10,000 mod!!!. check the URL, it says $9,999
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-09 10:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

, I should put my glasses on!

hahahahahaha

£5250 for a CF card - keep taking those magic mushrooms Pretec, you might see a flying pig soon

Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-06-17 4:12 AM
#
Well I've successfully used a 2GB Toshiba PC Card HDD on my Hewlett Packard 320LX Palmtop PC...

RUNNING WINDOWS CE 1!

Hell, the wife's Hewlett Packard h5550 iPAQ Pocket PC has a whopping 11GB of storage, thanks to two 5GB Toshiba PC Card HDDs and a 1GB SanDisk SD card!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-06-17 7:56 AM
#
H/PC Elder

CybaCowboy - 2005-06-17 1:12 AM
the wife's Hewlett Packard h5550 iPAQ Pocket PC has a whopping 11GB of storage, thanks to two 5GB Toshiba PC Card HDDs and a 1GB SanDisk SD card!

Dude, how long does that battery last with all that running!

BTW that's a mightily expensive PDA setup.
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-06-17 8:45 PM
#
With moderate use, she can (surprisingly) get as much as a whole day out of all that hardware!

Of course, that's all thanks to the extended battery that is built-in to her Dual PC Card Expension Pack...
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-17 10:50 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Mmm, i imagine the only downfall will be that it became the iBRICK, instead of an ordinary iPAQ.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-18 1:34 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CybaCowboy - 2005-06-18 2:45 AM

With moderate use, she can (surprisingly) get as much as a whole day out of all that hardware!

Of course, that's all thanks to the extended battery that is built-in to her Dual PC Card Expension Pack...

lol and what does she use that for? she's really a power user.... dual pc card expansion sleeve! with a battery! and an extended batt at that!
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-06-18 10:02 AM
#
matrixcore - 2005-06-18 12:50 PM

Mmm, i imagine the only downfall will be that it became the iBRICK, instead of an ordinary iPAQ.

More like two iBRICKS! LOL
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-06-18 10:10 AM
#
She uses it for MP3s and photos (from her camera-phone) mostly, although she has a few games and videos too.

For obvious reasons, I hope to upgrade her to a Media Center PC and a Portable Media Center later this year...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-06-19 6:29 AM
#
H/PC Elder

If what you said was true, I don't think a PMP is much smaller or last as long. It might have a bigger harddrive tho.

And the Media Centre PC might work just as well with your PPC.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-06-21 10:58 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie hinted at this, any CF will not be a good HDD replacement in any case. WinCE or any other OS will have some small set of bits that are re-written a few times every second, giving a flash sector a working life no longer thana full battery charge lasts :-)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10