x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any way to do SMS over WiFi on a 720?

Desertway Page Icon Posted 2009-07-22 6:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Says it all. Thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-07-23 4:33 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you know of an on-line relay agent, 02 members for example can sms online in the UK, then yes, you can.
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2009-07-23 2:10 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Ok. I'll look around for that. Thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-07-23 2:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There are also a number of wireless data modems and 3g cards that work - what I don't know is if you can sms through them directly onto the cell network.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-23 3:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I believe you can do SMS with the Nokia D211 card, but that's GPRS only, and I don't know if you still have that. (I have one of these cards, which I don't use since I upgraded to 3G.) I don't do SMS myself, so I can't say for sure.
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2009-07-23 4:36 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

So I just took a look at the HPC Factor review of the Nokia card. Do you actually put your sim card in the Nokia?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-23 6:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yup.
 Top of the page
Jesus Page Icon Posted 2009-07-24 10:12 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Bsquare PHH with the new Cmonex Rom V.4.2 does it all
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2009-07-24 10:53 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Jesus - 2009-07-24 7:12 AM

Bsquare PHH with the new Cmonex Rom V.4.2 does it all

Using what software?
 Top of the page
Jesus Page Icon Posted 2009-07-24 10:20 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

it has a built in gsm/gprs modem, for phone calls, sms, e-mail through gprs. Accompanied with the appropriate factory softwear. As you need something through the wi-fi, you should try some services through your web browser. pc to gsm sms applications. for instance my gsm provider has a website page, that gives 5 sms daily free, online, from the webpage to any gsm phone in it's own network.
try: http://www.email2sms.ru/sms.php
http://www.wadja.com/
or any from google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=send+free+sms+from+pc+to+phone&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:hu:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

Edited by Jesus 2009-07-24 10:33 PM
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2010-04-17 7:45 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

AIM/ICQ can now send free SMS messages to any phone. Don't feel bad, I didn't know about it until recently either. You just add a + and the country code/phone number to your buddy list like any other AIM/ICQ contact and it should just work.

See here for details:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/116/send-sms-text-messages-from-aim/

That site claims you need AIM 5.1 so I'm not sure it will work with the old native AIM 2.0 for Windows CE. I'll go test it now. If not, you can probably just use IM+, AgileMessenger or eBuddy through the IBM J9 J2ME runtime.

Some other IM protocols may also support SMS but AIM is the only one I'm sure about offhand. You may also be able to find some SMS to Jabber gateways if you search around. Or you can just use bitlbee via an IRC client if the older AIM doesn't work. Heck, or use AIM through Jabber. Even AOL supports AIM via Jabber/XMPP now.

I hope this was helpful.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2010-04-17 8:02 PM
#
H/PC Elite

If you are sending SMS to people in the US, you can also email. I'm not sure if it's available in other countries. Replace 1234567890 with the mobile number.

AT&T - 1234567890@txt.att.net
Sprint - 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile - 1234567890@tmomail.net
US Cellular - 1234567890@email.uscc.net
Verizon - 1234567890@vtext.com
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-04-19 3:57 AM
#
H/PC Elite

if you are in Brazil, you can use the online text messages service (www.torpedogratis.net) It works with any phone here in Brazil and it's 100% free.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2010-04-19 10:26 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Always liked the smartbook for this...

The inbuilt GPRS had a Payg sim in it and I found it very very handy on more than 1 occasion.

Only thing. Remember to get the network to turn off notification messages (like the balance ones) as that froze the smartbook

John
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2010-04-19 10:27 AM
#
H/PC Elder

TFGBD - 2010-04-17 7:45 PM

AIM/ICQ can now send free SMS messages to any phone. Don't feel bad, I didn't know about it until recently either. You just add a + and the country code/phone number to your buddy list like any other AIM/ICQ contact and it should just work.

See here for details:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/116/send-sms-text-messages-from-aim/

That site claims you need AIM 5.1 so I'm not sure it will work with the old native AIM 2.0 for Windows CE. I'll go test it now. If not, you can probably just use IM+, AgileMessenger or eBuddy through the IBM J9 J2ME runtime.

Some other IM protocols may also support SMS but AIM is the only one I'm sure about offhand. You may also be able to find some SMS to Jabber gateways if you search around. Or you can just use bitlbee via an IRC client if the older AIM doesn't work. Heck, or use AIM through Jabber. Even AOL supports AIM via Jabber/XMPP now.

I hope this was helpful.

IIRC most countries don't work on AIM now. You will need to check it works in yours..

John
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 13