x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Proud new owner of MC16, leading to Strange Q

smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2009-07-30 1:09 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Question may not be all that strange, but from my shoes it is. Usually I pride myself in being able to figure things out fairly well and come up with a good solution to the problem I face. This new MC16 throws a new twist. I 'won' an auction on the bay for a LNIB (Like new in box) MC 16 and am afraid of interfering too much with that like new status. (Off theme for the message of this post: I think I have every color depth CE type of device except 12 bit per pixel now that I have MC 16 and 16 shades of grey).

The PCMCIA slot has a nicely placed eject button. The compact flash slot, well not so much... Anyone have any clever ways to eject the CF card fairly repetitively without inflicting any wear or damage signs on the MC 16? Reason for asking is that I do my development on older CE devices by writing the app to a CF card and app debugging to a log file. Lots of exchanges between the CF slot on the CE device and the CF slot ona PCMCIA card that plugs into my laptop. You may ask why I don't do live debugging in the Visual Studio 6 + CE Toolkit (Yea, I paid for a student editions for some pretty pennies back in college days!). Reason is that I also do more heavy development with my CE based smartphone and it requires a new active sync to communicate, this activesync is not backward compatible with the older CE devices. I have not been successful in finding a way to have the active sync versions co-exist.

At any rate, you'll save my sanity and time if you can suggest a way to eject CF cards without visible markings along the case of the MC 16. Thank you in advance for any pointers!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-07-30 4:46 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I never had any issues with using the lips on the cf card to pull it out personally. However, if you aren't happy, why not use it in a pc card adapter in the pcmcia slot?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-30 4:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Some CF cards don't have much of a "lip" on the end, making it difficult to remove using a fingernail. I have this issue with my Fujitsu Stylistic CT2020, and Fujitsu supposedly provided a small supply of what they called "H-tabs," which were stickers shaped like an H that one could attach folded in half to the front and back face of the CF card along the edge, creating a pull tab for the card. You could improvise and make a tab yourself using some kind of tape with a strong adhesive, like packaging tape. (Don't use standard cellophane tape; it won't hold.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-07-30 7:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I have one of those memory cards with no lip...it came with a piece of thin plastic with adhesive on it...not an H shape, but it did the same thing...allowed you to pull the card out once inserted. Just stick it on the card and you are in action. It came with my old HP digital camera...

Here is a place you can buy them: http://store.outdoorrugged.com/home/or1/page_91/cf_card_pull_tabs.html

Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2009-07-31 11:14 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thank you all. I will be going with the pull tab solution!

After a couple/few days, I came to realize that the MC 16 is an excellent device.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8