x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Minimo 0.2 on CE 4.2

mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-04 12:37 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I know the topic of Minimo (0.2) has been brought up on these forums at least a few times, but nothing was really said as to what/which dummy dlls were needed to get it to run (on CE 4.2). The only one I'm currently using is cellcore.dll. After modifying the two exes to version 4.20, the only thing left that's reported is that the exes "do not match CPU type."

On a side note, I've stumbled upon another free tabbed browser (hv3) which is written in tcl/tk and utilizes tkhtml3. The latest version obtained from CVS (last commit was 2008ish) is actually quite polished looking. The only problem is that there is an intermittent connection problem with a tcl error popping up when it attempts to load a URL or a remote resource (i.e. image, javascript file, etc). It supports CSS2 and has an optional javascript engine you can enable/disable. The browser has a responsive interface and renders quite fast as well, comparable to Pocket IE probably? Anyhow, I'm going to see what I can do to fix the error, then maybe we will have a worthwhile alternative free browser for CE devices (well, any that can manage to run eTcl anyway).
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-04 3:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hmmm, I never tried Minimo 0.2 until just now. I downloaded it and installed it on my 900C and it ran perfectly without anything else or hacked...using Cmonex v2 however...

(minimoce.jpg)

(minimoce2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments minimoce.jpg (39KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments minimoce2.jpg (45KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-04 3:48 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm curious as to what hacks are needed for it to run on any CE 4.2 device. Even if it's not very usable, I'd still like to try it out on my NBP.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-09-04 4:20 PM
#
H/PC Elite

You can change the CPU type if you're running on XScale. That may be all that is necessary. Minimo 0.2 uses UPX to pack itself, so I don't know if that will present any extra problem with the CPU type. Alternatively, I think Minimo 0.016 ran fine on CE 4.2 with a cellcore.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2009-09-04 5:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Was difficult to track down the minimo source code after the mozilla or firefox team decided to pick up a mobile platform. I tried some old distributions and there were some references to Minimo, but no sources in the orphaned directories. Hopefully the firefox or whatever they evolve minimo towards has source included...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-04 8:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It was sooooooo slow on the Mobilepro, it had nothing to offer over any of the other browsers that work much better....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-05 12:54 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

I just don't understand why it's still slow....

as for the UPX, you can unpack it and use it that way (if needed for some hexedit), but if you keep it compressed it should load faster...

Edited by cmonex 2009-09-05 12:54 AM
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-05 8:20 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well, with the help of a user on the tkhtml3 mailing list, I finally got the hv3 browser to work finally! I will admit it doesn't perform as fast as PocketIE though. The reason for this is mostly because it's written in an interpreted language, but also because eTcl is compiled with all available Tcl libraries that are available for eTcl (thus the executables and such are pretty large).

However, it does render pretty darn well and actually works especially better on the lighter-weight websites. It is javascript-capable, supports tabs, aims to support html 4.01 and css 2.1 (check the css2.1 support here, images can be disabled, and there's probably some other things I'm forgetting.

I've attached a screenshot of the hv3 showing hpcfactor's main page.

Oh, and I am writing this from my "new" Netbook Pro I got a few days ago

Edited by mscdex 2009-09-05 8:21 PM

(20090905194954.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20090905194954.png (86KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.406 - Cached queries : 42 - Executed queries : 35