x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Will any CompactFlash GPS work?

1 2
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-10-28 6:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I haven't even received my IrDa adaptor, so can't even sync, and yet I keep finding new ideas of what to buy for my Izzi Pro.

I've been reading a bit about GPS cards, and I got the feeling that the card itself doesn't need to come with a driver, because it's the mapping software that needs to support it. I may be completely wrong on this count, of course. The HCL on this site wasn't very helpful, since it put a "maybe" mark on all GPS devices.

So I want to make sure if I got that correctly. If I'm free to buy any hardware as long as I have the right software, that'd be of some help.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-28 7:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

All the GPS devices listed in the HCL are serial, they would say if they were CF.

If you read the notes, with serial ones it is down to the mapping software makers and their platform support.

A CF one will need a driver.
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-10-28 7:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Ah, thanks. Haven't got that HCL figured out yet. But no CF cards? I know there are GPS cards that should work with the HPC Pro, because I remember coming upon them. But now I'll have to check specifically. Would you be interested in a list if I compile one? Can't test them, of course -- just what it says on the web.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-28 7:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ET3D,
That would be great if you could / would.

The HCL has to be researched by someone, and I've just not gotten around to PCMCIA / CF GPS.
It can be exceptionally time consuming. We compile the drivers as well, all the drivers available on the HCL are hosted from Factor. They are all indexed and compiled for the HCL.

It's no secret that we welcome input from users on the HCL, and if more people would submit their info either by email or on the submission form, the resource would be just that little bit better. Even if it's just the make/ mod of your CF card, that's one more device that wasn't in there before.

Cheers

p.s.
If you're having issues with the HCL, or know how to make it better, please let me know... but be gentle. It's my baby and I spent months coding it
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-10-28 8:19 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Okay, I'll try to be gentle. I'll just start with one comment, which has nothing to do with the format or content. For some reason when I run it in Opera, clicking "I accept" returns me to the same page. Granted, I browse in Opera without Javascript and with cookies only allowed from the same server (it's my safe browsing environment), but most sites work well under these conditions. (BTW, I'm using Opera 6.05.)

Edited by ET3D 2004-10-28 8:20 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-28 8:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The HCL doesn't use cookies or JS.
There is a protection system on there to make sure that visitors accept the disclaimer conditions before entering... we don't want any lawsuits from people who hot-linked in and bypassed the disclaimer.

As it states in the disclaimer list, the controls are often interfeared with by privacy measures that prevent the referral being noted.

If you're saying that Opera isn't working, and I confess that I haven't tested it under Opera. I obviously need to look into that.
Thanks.
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-10-29 3:20 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks! I'd never have read the note at the end of the disclaimer. You know how it is -- I might read the first first lines of an agreement, but I usually just think of it as "bla bla", and click on "accept". Once I've read the note in question, I checked out the Opera preferences, and found an option to enable/disable referrer logging, which was on 'off'. Turning it on solved the problem. Yay!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-29 8:25 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Excellent, I'm glad you got it sorted. I shall remember the opera setting for any more problem reports.

As I said though, I will look into implementing a system that is less browser dependant.

I know there are a few people around the community who frown on us for preventing the HCL from getting search engine indexed or hot linked in to. It is a necessary evil though.
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-10-29 7:07 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

BTW, on the subject of GPS's, here's a short initial list:

Pretec CompactGPS-LP - no support

Pretec CompactGPS - Hardware-wise, compatible with CE 2.x and 3.x, according to the FAQ on the site. Software only 3.0 and up.

FAC CF-30LP GPS - only sold by Expansys, apparently (couldn't find a manufacturer's website). Said to support CE 2.11 on the Expansys page.

GlobalSat BC307 - mentions CE 3.0.
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-11-03 3:56 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C-Amie, I might add these to the HCL some time. I just noticed that I could do that. However, it'd be nice if it'd be possible to add a comment in all cases, so that even if I mark certain compatibility, I could say something like "according to the FAQ at..."
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-03 4:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ET3D,

You're welcome to send anything you have through the submission form.
If you have comments, please add them into the notes box for the partial compatibility.
They will all get sifted out ^_^

cheers
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-07 4:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have now completed the upgrade of the access protection. It should now work browser / privacy protection independant.

If anyone has any problems. Please let me know.
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-11-07 4:19 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks. I works for me.
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2004-12-07 11:29 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Find a GPS that supports wince 2.11.
Compact Flash GPS use COM ports. You need to insert the CF GPS and select the COM 1 to 6. That' s all.
Compact Flash is a plug and play hardware.
You only need a software as a navigator or map viewer and select a select the COM port that works with your software.

Edited by hpcpro 2004-12-07 11:36 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 7:27 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Excellent, so the CF ones also mount the COM driver to interface with... but would they not need to be installed to CE as a Serial controller - like Sockets serial ones?

You don't just 'bolt on' another com port to a pc, you add a controller...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 1.50 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10