x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE 4.x PocketWord no drawing support?

jigab00 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-09 6:59 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I remember way back when I had a PocketPC, it had drawing support built in to Pocket Word (ie embedding drawings into pocketword documents). Has that been taken out, and is there an easy way to put it back? Sorry if it's a newb question, but I honestly never thought of it till now (I'm actually going to be needing something like that now).

If it makes any difference, I installed cmonex's hpc2000 office, although I only had Wordpad on my Netbook pro before anyway (which certainly didn't have this function).

Thanks for any help!

Edited by jigab00 2009-09-09 7:12 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-09 7:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

it does have drawing support but only for some specific image formats.. I forget. I didn't check if the ported ce.net word has this functionality in it (I didn't remove it explicitly for sure)

PS: if you mean the notes app on PPC... that's a different story. but inkwriter can do it for you (I ported that to cenet as well, I'm sure you've found out already)

Edited by cmonex 2009-09-09 7:47 PM
 Top of the page
jigab00 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-10 5:59 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks cmonex! You're absolutely right, I was mistaking Word for the Notes app. I just tested out Inkwriter (thanks again!), but it outputs PWI files that nothing I have will open (Linux).
Does there exist any other app that will do this (mix typing and drawing) and yet still have an accessible format? Ugh, I just tried Textmaker, and it's horribly slow and the drawing capability is not very good...

Edited by jigab00 2009-09-10 6:16 PM
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-10 7:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

found this online. don't know if it helps....

" PWI: Word processing document created by Microsoft Word for Windows Mobile edition (a.k.a. "Pocket Word" ) ; used by Pocket PC PDAs running Microsoft Windows Mobile; similar to a standard Word (.DOC) document, but does not support headers, footers, captions, footnotes, or comments.

PWI files can typically be opened on a PC with Microsoft Word, but the ink data saved in the file may not be recognized. "

I wonder if you can open the file in open office or something and tell open office it's a .doc file or simply change the extension and see if that works...i assume if you had Wine and office on your linux install that would work too....

Edited by jorel101 2009-09-10 7:52 PM
 Top of the page
jigab00 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-11 12:44 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks jorel101, but OO.o won't touch it with a barge-pole. From my searches, the only things that will open a PWI file is Word 2000/2003 or Onenote 2003. Was hoping there would be other apps out there for this, but looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and install one or the other...
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-11 2:28 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

You could give this a try for OO.o. There was also pwi2html. If you're the developer type, there's the source code to synce's PWI reader here.

Edited by mscdex 2009-09-11 2:28 AM
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-09-11 3:12 PM
#
H/PC Elite

A few days ago, I accidentally discovered that Pocket Word can open PWI files. It brought in the ink too. I didn't try to then save as DOC, but maybe that could work?
 Top of the page
jigab00 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-13 10:39 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks mscdex, but the Mobile Device Suport pack for OO.o won't install for OO.o v3 (it's supposed to be for v1, it seems).
Sadly, pwi2html won't compile (reports dependency issues even when I don't have them - I guess it doesn't like my 64bit environment).

Thanks isotherm, but for whatever reason, Pocket Word refuses to open PWI files. What ver are you using? Are you using cmonex's hpc2000 package?
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-09-13 10:54 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Sorry, I don't know anything about hacked together versions. Based on the devices I have, original CE .NET does not have Inkwriter (not the Microsoft one anyway), and its Pocket Word cannot import the files either. But HPC2000 Pocket Word does import the files, on an HPC2000 device anyway.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-13 3:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Just a side thought...but you know some drawing programs will allow both text and graphical entry. Conduits Pocket Artist comes to mind. You can create a picture that you can enter text through keyboard entry, edit existing images or create new ones...and then save the file in a more universal format...such as I've done in the example below. I used Pocket Artist and saved it as a jpg file, which can be read by almost any text editor.

But if text editing were your primary need, then this might be counter-productive. But if you needed to make a quick note and include a graphic that you could later use in...say Word and your desktop computer...then this might not be a bad way to go.

(simpsons.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments simpsons.jpg (51KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-09-13 6:29 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Incidentally, the I think the bSquare Inkwriter, which is included with the official 900C ROM, also has the capability to draw and add text at various locations. But it doesn't have the interleaving of graphics and text, like the HPC2000 Inkwriter did.
 Top of the page
jigab00 Page Icon Posted 2009-10-04 1:58 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks guys, but I abandoned this line of inquiry. Thank you to Rich, as well - pocket artist was a pretty good compromise, but after a couple of weeks, I'm finding that I'm hardly drawing anything so the need has been pretty much negated. Hopefully this was a useful topic for some lurkers.

Edited by jigab00 2009-10-04 1:58 PM
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2010-04-19 6:58 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you want drawing support, you need the Handeld PC 2000 Inkwriter. A version of that dumped from ROM is on Cmonex's site in the Office package. It uses the same basic PWI format as Pocket Word but it lacks spellcheck. Pocket PC Pocket Word is basically just a unified Handheld PC Pword and Inkwriter and it should be able to open and create both formats. If you want something comparable to desktop Word with wordart and shapes and all that, check out TextMaker 2008. Pocket Artist is a raster paint program; not a drawing program. PA is Photoshop, not Illustrator. If you just want to do vector drawing without the word processing, check out VectorSoft Draw or see my post about other drawing solutions on H/PC here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13789&posts=5
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10