x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Razorbook and Skype

seekersbrain Page Icon Posted 2009-09-10 11:04 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi All,

First time poster so please be kind I just bought a Razorbook 400 that is running Win CE 5.0. Came loaded with various apps inc Skype for Pocket PC 1.2.0.4 but Skype doesn't seem to be working:

- I can't save contacts
- the full screen image doesn't rez (only top and bottom, mid section is my normal desktop)
- the only active main menu items is 'tools' and not all options work there either

I tried to load a new version of Skype for Pocket PC (there is no CE version) but I keep getting error message saying 'not a valid CE application' .

Also, I tried to run a YouTube vid and that wouldn't work (yes I was connected to the internet).

I'm heading off overseas next week and need it for communication while I'm away so I hope someone can help with some advice.

Cheers
Seeker

Edited by seekersbrain 2009-09-10 11:06 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-09-10 3:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

3K Computers kinda overstated what the RazorBook can do in its YouTube video (which of course I had to view on my PC instead of on my RazorBook). They never actually demonstrated YouTube videos working on the device in the video. I haven't bothered yet to try to figure out how to do it. Sorry to say that I also haven't tried Skype either on mine; however, there are others here who have tried Skype on other CE devices who may have ideas.

BTW, Pocket PC is a Windows CE platform, and as such many Pocket PC programs can work on H/PCs and similar devices like the RazorBook. However, from my limited experience with CE 5 devices, they seem to be much more picky about running many EXE and CAB files than did their CE 4.x .net predecessors. Bear in mind also that Windows Mobile 5 is based on Windows CE 5.01 rather than 5.0. Similarly, WM 6.0 is based on CE 5.02. So many programs written for these will not work out of the box on a core CE 5.0 device.
 Top of the page
seekersbrain Page Icon Posted 2009-09-11 10:07 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hmm, so doesn't look like there is an easy solution. Thanks for your reply anyway.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-11 2:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Does TCPMP work on the Razorbook? Seems there is an FLV plugin for it that will play YouTube videos...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-09-11 3:47 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

A version of TCPMP/BetaPlayer is included on the RazorBook, and the FLV plugin works with it, but I've never figured out how to stream Flash Video from the Web using TCPMP.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-11 4:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I tried it on my 900C. I went to the mobile YouTube site and when I tapped on a video, it gave me the option to play or save the video...and then locked up. Maybe you have to download and save the video in order to play it...I'm not sure...or maybe the integration to play the video is something inherent only in WM5 IE and not CE5 or whatever....
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-11 6:42 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I've been working on a little youtube application using .net cf 1.0. So far it can only save the FLV given either the video id or the regular youtube url for the video (which includes the video id). I am currently working on implementing a built-in search function so that you won't have to go hunting for urls or video ids.

Edited by mscdex 2009-09-11 6:43 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-09-11 8:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There are a couple of apps out there already written in .NET that are supposed to do this, but I haven't figured out how to get either one to work. I hope I have better luck with yours.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-11 8:31 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2009-09-11 8:01 PM

There are a couple of apps out there already written in .NET that are supposed to do this, but I haven't figured out how to get either one to work. I hope I have better luck with yours.

I'll be testing on my HPCs, so you will have better luck. That's the Mscdex Guaranteeā„¢
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-09-11 8:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

LOL
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9