x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New forum project for C:Amie

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-16 9:13 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It would be nice to be able to insert images in a forum post and have them interspaced within the text body rather than have all the images display only at the end of the post.

I realize this would be a major rewrite of the editor...but am sure many others have thought of this as well.

And I realize I could use the IMG command, but that only allows for posting of images hosted elsewhere. Anyway, winter is coming and C:Amie is going to be stuck indoors with a lot of time on his hands...so I just thought....
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-09-16 9:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Every image attachment is loaded through a permissions checker thusly:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/get-attachment.asp?attachmentid=2752

if you want to display it in-line, you can copy the attachment url and then img it
[ img=/forums/forums/get-attachment.asp?attachmentid=2752]

It will display twice in the current configuration, but ultimately this isn't possible without some over complication requiring you the user to insert code. The simplest that it could be would be:

Text....
[imgAttach=1]
Text...
[imgAttach=2]
Text...

Probably a little too much for some users So few people even use the forum markup that we do have, I think I'm the only person who has ever used lists and some of the less well known syntax!

Anyway Mr. Hawley, Staff members can upload images etc to their staff store and hot link from there using IMG.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-16 10:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I should have known...an answer for everything!

...and will you please quit posting my childhood pictures!
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2009-09-16 11:22 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hahaha...
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-09-16 11:25 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I don't have objection to the idea, but ultimately is there sufficient usability benefit in IMG'ing the attachment or having to include specific markup for it? You tell me.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-09-16 4:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The only advantage to mixing text and graphics is when you are using an image as an example explaining something that you are doing....but it is moot now as I never even thought of using the Staff Storage hosting the image and then inserting it as needed.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2009-09-16 11:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes it would be nice to have attachments and images in text. Especially if you have multiple attachments in the post, you either have to explain carefully which one you are referring to or have some kinda logical order for the attachments, or both.

That said, the reason why I don't use some of the features often is because they are not easy to use (and for the record, I have). For example when creating a list you must type each item in the correct order. If you made a mistake half way thru you must complete the list and remember to go back to correct it. If you didn't create enough items you have to manually code in an extra line between all the code. And so on...

Even to a coder this kinda text editing is way too much trouble for its worth. You are better off just making a list the old fashioned way, with hyphens or asterisks.
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2009-09-20 2:15 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Very nice!
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 8