x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Newb looking for airpanel v100 setup help

Joe504 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-20 8:53 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all, I was just given an Airpanel 100 and I need some help with the setup. I really just want to be able to browse the net with it, but I would like to know what other functions I could use it for. I have been using pocket PC phones for awhile, so I am somewhat familar with moving CAB files around, but consider me stupid any any other respect.

First, if I am reading the forums correctly, I will only be able to use a dwl-650 wireless card? Is this because of driver availability?

Can I use the v100 as a remote for my TV/DVD player /Etc? If so, how?

How well does the remote desk top work? Is it worth trying to set up?

Thanks for any help.

Joe
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-09-20 3:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I don't know how you got the idea from these forums that only the D-Link DWL-650 will work with the Airpanel 100. Lots of cards can work with it - for example, I've used my Agere ORiNOCO Classic Gold with it with no problems. Any Agere-based or Prism-based (the DWL-650 is an example of the latter) should work.

There are some programs that enable Pocket PCs to be used as infrared remote controls; some may be made to work on the Airpanel 100, but they must be compatible with Windows CE 4.1 or lower, and will require a few DLL files from the Pocket PC platform (which, fortunately, are available for download in a few places). (Windows Mobile 2003 is based on Windows CE 4.2; however, I've found that a few programs out there for WM 2003 devices were actually written with CE 4.1 as the minimum compatible OS version. Some IR remote control programs, however, were written for Pocket PC 2002 or earlier, which is based on CE 3.0. Since you've posted in the CE 4.x .net/CE 5.0 section, I assume you have CE 4.1 .net on your Airpanel. The Airpanel 100 originally came with a core version of CE 3.0. )
 Top of the page
Joe504 Page Icon Posted 2009-09-21 11:49 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ok, I went on eBay and found a ton of cards. Should I look at any in particular, or will any work well? Will these all use a generic driver, or is there a list of drivers somewhere?

Thanks for the help do far.

Edited by Joe504 2009-09-21 11:57 AM
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-09-21 2:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

You may want to check the shortest WiFi cards (excluding 'Internal' WiFi for NEC MobilePro 900/900C and retractable ones for HP Jornada 7xx) for many CE devices. I still have some.
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9887&posts=43&start=1

Please note: I once tested Speedtouch on Skeye.pad with CE 4.1 and Skeye.pad did not detect it. I did test it successfully on machines with CE 2.11, 3.0, and 4.2.

Edited by CAuser 2009-09-21 2:18 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-09-21 2:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Be advised, also, that the cards cannot be 32-bit CardBus - they can be PCMCIA (16-bit) or Compact Flash. (You can tell a CardBus card by the gold metal strip along the inserted end.) Also, while 802.11g cards should work with the device, I'm not aware of anyone here testing one on the Airpanel 100. (They've been confirmed to work with some other CE 4.x .net devices. When I have some time, maybe I'll test my 802.11g cards on my Airpanel 100 just to see.) 802.11b cards will definitely work.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-10-16 5:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Update on 802.11g with the Airpanel 100: I've tried installing the driver for my I-O Data 802.11g card, and so far no luck on the Airpanel: the card asks for a driver every time, and when I type it in (wng54cf.dll), the card won't light up (and it's not shown anywhere in the Control Panel, including under "Network and Dial-Up Connections" ). Worse, the device sometimes freezes up until I remove the card.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10