x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 680 "Range" issue

mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 11:10 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Cmonex, if you see this post, a friend of mine would like to know what's the max "Range" you get with your Adhoc setup?

For everyone else reading this post, please give me the type/model of card you use and the max range you get?

Also, I've been told that the range you get is only determined by the card that you have, is this correct or are there any other factors involved?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 12:36 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to H/PC Pro technical support

Please consider where you are posting threads.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 12:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i don't use adhoc (as i already told you ), it's infrastructure mode witrh a wireless router.
the range depends on many many things. one of the factors is obviously your card's sensitivity, this can be improved by attaching an external aerial, or by using something else for an external aerial (doesn't need to be attached) - you can look for it on the net how to do it.
the range also depends on how good the AP is, or if it is adhoc mode with a PC with a simple wireless card, it will be much worse than with a real AP. that's one of the reasons i'm using an AP in infrastructure mode.
there are still other factors, for example if you're in the open and your card can directly see the AP or if you have walls between and what material the walls are made of.
as for my experiences.. i can get good signals in the whole house (and it's big) except one room where the wall contains too many metals.. i get a good signal outside, in the garden too, but one of our fences won't let them through.
my wifi card is a senao compact flash card (router is just an average 11 mbps wireless router) and it's absolutely fine, as good as some pcmcia cards. though i'm sure it's worse than the best ones..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 12:45 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh some experiences about adhoc too: one of my friends has adhoc only, and we can't get any signal in the garden, but it can get through two floor, though practically it's already useless for internet there. i could download one page with many efforts, but not more than that
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 2:14 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Having used Adhoc with the VNC and a BE300 using a DLINK pcm card, my laptop was "inside" the Garage which was is made of "Brick" and I got over 100' range walking away from the garage out into the Street, did not test the max because there was no need too so I can expect the same result with this other equipment but I will know for sure whenever I can get this Adhoc setup going.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 2:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i still can't understand why you don't use your wireless router (and infrastructure mode), it would give much better range for you.
brick isn't a real problem for wlan, metal is more problematic.
if your card is still blinking (or continuous in my case) indicating that it's still associated (but the signal is already poor) that doesn't necessarily mean usable internet, you might not be able to even ping some address. so you have to test it explicitly if the signal is below, say, 20% (in my case at least).
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9