x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Drivers for Sandisk CF WiFi + 128mb card?

« Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next »
spelk1 Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 7:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have a card that will not work with my Joranda 540 .... I am selling it, $20 plus actual cost of shipping. It cam directly out of a sealed package, so its brand spanking new.

Email me at schlever@hotmail.com if interested.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-06-10 3:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That should be posted in the hpcBay forum on this site: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=36
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2006-06-10 1:17 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The Chris - 2006-04-01 8:19 PM
I have tried the "PRISM.4000.CAB" file with no luck. I have also tried everything else that would work on this platform with no luck. The 128MB part of the card works just fine though.

The Sandisk combo card was dishonestly promoted for about a year as being "specially engineered to work with many mobile and PDA devices including Casio BE-300." I suspect Sandisk marketing was involved in the promotion as I saw the exact same claims in online catalogues of sellers like Eagle Computers. I bought one of these unique dual cards as they were unique at the time of their release. They are excellent make and particularly good at auto power management. They run without a hitch on notebook PCs.

An international group of highly talented PDA enthusiasts tried for months to get the card to run on different pre-CE 4 MIPs and Arm devices. No go. Could not even get them powered up in most cases. Fortunately, I bought mine when Eagle decided to dump theirs, so I paid very little for it, not the $100 plus many people paid. I love mine for notebook use.

I spoke with Sandisk Techs a few times about the card. They were quite firm and consistent that the card will ONLY work with devices listed on the packaging and with only the drivers included on the mini-cd. There were NEC 900 owners who reported great diffiulty getting it to run on the 900!

The Techs reminded me that most Prism licensed wifi chips are BASED, not actual or even same spec Prism chipset. We must always remember that just placing Prism code on non-prism chips can make a big difference as far as flexibility goes. Furthermore few makers even use the same chips from lot to lot in the same wifi cards.

Be very cautious about any wifi card & the maker or reseller's use of the term "Prism". Marketing departments love to be able to say "Prism" in relation to Wifi products they are assigned to push. The term is so loosely used that to say "Prism Chipset" is about as generally meaningful as saying a given new car has a "turbo V-6 internal combustion engine" or someone telling you they have a "xerox" machine.

What is a "Prism Chipset" or "Prism Standard" Wifi card? What is a "Handheld" Computer? What does automobile "chrome" cleaner clean on modern automobile? Aluminum? Composite plastics? Silver colored plastic? Silver plastic coated metal?

--Bruised
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-10 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

there's a reference prism chipset. has versions 2, 2.5, 3, etc.. my senao has 2.5 and works with the reference drivers wonderfully.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2006-06-13 8:03 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have a great Romabout Card that is true blue Prism Chipset but it was made over two years ago.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-06-18 1:21 AM
#
H/PC Elder

As far as I have seen, not a single manufacturer has promoted their WiFi card as having a PRISM chip, even though there are many of them. You usually have to look for their very technical specification documents, some perhaps even inaccessible to end users, in order to find out what chip they use. I posted a link before, to a page where Linux users have compiled a list of known WiFi adapters and the chips they use, which was in my mind a major breakthru for us to find and test the adapters.

Furthermore, again as far as I have read from user reports, the SanDisk Connect Plus 128MB CF adapter is the only PRISM (2, 2.5, or 3) chipped CF/PCMCIA adapter that has ever been reported as not working with reference drivers. It is quite obvious why this adapter is special, different from the other products. Perhaps less obviously, but understandably, extra circuitry is required to handle this special feature, and therefore a special driver is required to activate it.

I did not know about SanDisk promoting this particular product as working with the BE300, however I do believe the other SanDisk CF WiFi adapter, the SanDisk Connect, does indeed work with the BE300. It is quite common to confuse the two products SanDisk Connect (one without memory) and SanDisk Connect Plus (one with memory). I wouldn't be surprised if SanDisk marketing team themselves have made the same honest mistake as many users did, with no dishonest intentions. Unlike certain businesses, most companies do not benefit, and are usually damaged, from dishonest marketing.

As mentioned above, to find out if a card has a PRISM chip, just look for that table of WiFi adapters. With the exception of the SanDisk Connect Plus, it is quite black and white, and I can see no logical reason for misunderstanding.
 Top of the page
jjf
jjf Page Icon Posted 2006-09-05 6:54 AM
#
hello. I'm french.
i have jornada 710 with win hpc 2000 and i want to install my new sandisk wifi card.
i try many driver proposed in this post, but the wifi don't work... help ! please.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-09-05 9:27 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Takwu,

Thanks for getting me to get mine to work!

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-05 2:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2006-06-18 7:21 AM

Furthermore, again as far as I have read from user reports, the SanDisk Connect Plus 128MB CF adapter is the only PRISM (2, 2.5, or 3) chipped CF/PCMCIA adapter that has ever been reported as not working with reference drivers.

disagreement.

just one example, my iodata cf wifi (prism too) would not work with the ref drivers only with its own one, which was quite similar to the intersil one but not identical.
the pretec and dlink dcf660w won't always work either.
explanation for this is that the intersil prism drivers are just a *reference* driver package. actual implement of the prism chipset may vary, and this means even if the card works with one intersil driver version, it may not work with another. for example the smartbook G138's built in prism driver will not reliably work with my senao cf it will always ask for the driver name on insertion of the card, that's quite annoying. after that it does work... for a while! then the smartbook gets upset & hard resets itself. this is certainly due to the driver & card combination, as this always happens while doing wifi actively. my dlink dc660w with its own cenet driver (will NOT work with the smartbook's driver) works just fine
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-09-05 10:11 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex don't disagree yet... at the time I wrote what you quote I really had not read any reports of such incompatibilities... until now so technically I was still right unless you point me to some reports older than my post ok i'm just dragging the issue lolol. Frankly the Intersil reference drivers had been hard to obtain until some time ago. Before that time most websites recommend the Compaq drivers IIRC, including here.

The Smartbook's driver is for the Buffalo brand prism card... and it works fine with my Linksys WCF12

Altho I later found that the official Linksys WM2003 driver installs fine on the Smartbook (just an unusually long pause during installation process). So I would suggest you to try that driver for all cards if they don't work with the Buffalo driver.

Ceya you're welcome I honestly do not remember what I did to help... just vaguely remember you asking the question. Anyway you got it working so good for you
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2007-03-16 11:20 AM
#
H/PC Elite

will this work on 900c? what is the driver's name on log in?

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
quinezhu Page Icon Posted 2008-07-23 3:15 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi, does anyone sucessfully get Sandisk CF wifi + 128MB card (SDWCFB-128-210-00A) to work on SIII? I've tried the driver of PRISM400.1824.cab but it failed.

Edited by quinezhu 2008-07-23 3:25 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-07-23 6:53 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

use the 2577 cab..
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-07-23 7:00 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

And, yes, it does work on the Sig 3 - I'm a witness.

Edited by CE Geek 2008-07-23 7:01 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-07-23 7:00 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

(Okay, I'm up waaay too late - clicked on "Quote" instead of "Edit." )

Edited by CE Geek 2008-07-23 7:02 AM
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 17