x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

$3 Windows CE "core" license

1 2
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 8:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thought this was Interesting.

Free Noncommercial License and Tools

The new "noncommercial distribution" license included in the free Windows CE .NET 4.2 Emulation Edition and Evaluation Kit permits embedded developers and device manufacturers to prototype and freely distribute Windows CE .NET images for noncommercial purposes, Microsoft said. The new license will be posted on the Microsoft Embedded Web site as of June 1, at the same time the Windows CE .NET 4.2 product offerings become available, the company said.

According to Microsoft, the free downloadable Windows CE .NET 4.2 Emulation Edition enables developers to build and test their Windows CE .NET-based designs without requiring the target hardware. The free Windows CE .NET 4.2 Evaluation Kit allows developers to immediately begin evaluating Windows CE .NET using the full Platform Builder tool along with a complete set of operating system components.

Microsoft also noted that it also now provides more than 2 million lines of source code under the Shared Source Program for Windows CE, allowing developers to view and modify the source code for "noncommercial" purposes.

Edit: Oops forgot the link http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS8969975443.html

Edited by Yoldering 2005-06-12 8:59 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 10:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yoldering - 2005-06-12 6:54 PM

Thought this was Interesting.

Free Noncommercial License and Tools

The new "noncommercial distribution" license included in the free Windows CE .NET 4.2 Emulation Edition and Evaluation Kit permits embedded developers and device manufacturers to prototype and freely distribute Windows CE .NET images for noncommercial purposes, Microsoft said. The new license will be posted on the Microsoft Embedded Web site as of June 1, at the same time the Windows CE .NET 4.2 product offerings become available, the company said.

According to Microsoft, the free downloadable Windows CE .NET 4.2 Emulation Edition enables developers to build and test their Windows CE .NET-based designs without requiring the target hardware. The free Windows CE .NET 4.2 Evaluation Kit allows developers to immediately begin evaluating Windows CE .NET using the full Platform Builder tool along with a complete set of operating system components.

Microsoft also noted that it also now provides more than 2 million lines of source code under the Shared Source Program for Windows CE, allowing developers to view and modify the source code for "noncommercial" purposes.

Edit: Oops forgot the link http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS8969975443.html

oh gee wiz ... I just downloaded the WinCE.NET 5.0 thingie ... ... I also downloaded the portion for WinXP embedded!

Somehow the links led to the eval page for 5.0 and not 4.2 ... oh well ... anyone tried yet?

The image allows for MIPS processor too! ... though I think it may be a tad too slow ...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 10:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2005-06-13 4:09 AM

The image allows for MIPS processor too! ... though I think it may be a tad too slow ...

why would be an 500 Mhz MIPS slow? yes there are devices with 500 Mhz MIPS. or did you mean it's not optimized for mips.. oh well
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 10:35 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Snappy!, I was hoping you would check it out! I don’t know why it went to 5.0 Hope you and others will get good use out of it. I will mess with it also!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-12 11:15 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yoldering - 2005-06-12 8:35 PM

Snappy!, I was hoping you would check it out! I don’t know why it went to 5.0 Hope you and others will get good use out of it. I will mess with it also!

I seem to get stuck when I click on the final "Install" button! ... am retrying without the MIPS option, ie the default settings. Let's see ...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-13 7:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ah yes, this isn't anything new, as you may have guessed from the posting news date

CE4.2 is defunt noq, the core is CE5. The preview releases are for the x86 system and device demonstration R&D only. If you attempted to release a nk image Microsoft would crush you like a paper cup

Platform Builder is a Big download, it needs a lot of disk space and is very similar in interaction as programming in C... in fact you need to be a C programmer to use it. It's not for the faint hearted.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-13 8:58 AM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-06-12 8:24 PM

Snappy! - 2005-06-13 4:09 AM

why would be an 500 Mhz MIPS slow? yes there are devices with 500 Mhz MIPS. or did you mean it's not optimized for mips.. oh well

... 500Mhz? gee ... most of the MIPS I see around are 168 ceiling ... ...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-13 11:33 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-13 7:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-06-13 9:33 AM

That should be a nice machine to run WinCE!! ... and considering that WinXP can run rather well (with 320MB ram) on a PIII-500 machine, I really don't see why wince machines should run crippled versions of apps on it.

billg, oh billg, pls LISTEN UP!!! InstantOn HPCs .... grrr ....
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-15 9:46 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ok guys. Update. Platform builder for winCE5.0 was (finally) installed. It turned out it was download cab files for installation, although the install dialog didn't update anything, leading to the look that it hung up.

After a few hours of downloading (I hope the install bin are saved and not deleted!), I am now building a simple CEPC image to test out on my x86 desktop!

I think I will go and run some chores/errands while PB churns along ...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-15 10:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Congratulations Snappy, that was your 1000th post

Welcome to the 4 digit club (Exclusive to you and me )
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-15 11:01 AM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-06-15 8:34 AM

Gee thx! ... almost didn't want to post a new one ... just to savour the moment!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-15 11:23 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-06-15 4:34 PM

congrats, Snappy

i'm envying you now but it won't take a long time before i'm a member of your exclusive club =)
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-15 12:42 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-06-15 9:23 AM

C:Amie - 2005-06-15 4:34 PM

congrats, Snappy

i'm envying you now but it won't take a long time before i'm a member of your exclusive club =)

Thx cmonex! ... let's have a "party" when you reach 1000th post! ... C:amie ....
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-06-15 12:56 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Congrats PS would be jealous. Has anyone heard from him?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9