x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Aargh!! I think I just killed my Jornada 690

Prof Quatermass Page Icon Posted 2009-10-11 3:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,
I'm new to the forums so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
This morning I was fiddling around with my Jornada twins (a 680 and a 690) and decided to restore the back-up on my compact flash to the 690.
For some reason I couldn't make the card holder pop out. After a bit of - er- persuasion, the holder popped up - but so did the metal backing plate!
Horrified I pushed everything back down and checked for damage. Everything seemed ok... until...
I switched on and -- nothing, nadda not a sign of my desktop.
The screen is on (it is backlit) but displays nothing.
A couple of resets later and it's still the same. I've tried removing the battery and will leave it out until tomorrow, but fear I may have killed the Jornada with my cak-handed attempt to load a damn CF!
I suspect I have somehow dislodged the connection between machine and screen.
Does anyone have any ideas or do I just bin my old faithful PDA?

Thanks in advance,

Prof Quatermass (Nige)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-10-11 3:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Metal + cramming + PCB's = "uh oh"

Best case you've caused something to short out, worst case you've shorted something and fried said something.

Either way, you'll have to pull it apart down to the motherboard, clean, reconnect everything (including the metal bits) and keep your fingers crossed.

There is a video guid for dismantling the 720 in the support section, while not an exact template for the >=680 series, it is very similar.
 Top of the page
Prof Quatermass Page Icon Posted 2009-10-11 4:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you. I guess I have nothing to lose now - the 690 is toast either way. I'll give it a go.

Top of the page
Prof Quatermass Page Icon Posted 2009-10-16 12:59 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Great news!!
Prior to the great strip down I fiddled about a bit with the compact flash holder. If I pressed on the side opposite to the bit you press to make the holder pop out the screen would flicker on.
After five minutes of determined waggling, fiddling and (I have to admit) swearing the screen came back on - and stayed on. Several days later it is working fine - phew!!!
The 690 has gone to the back of the HPC drawer marked "Emergency use only"

Edited by Prof Quatermass 2009-10-16 1:00 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-10-17 5:28 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

lol, good stuff

It sounds like you pulled the cf card ribbon from the motherboard and managed to reseat it with your wigglyness.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-10-23 2:07 PM
#
H/PC Elite

If it persists later your only option may be to take the bottom part of the case off and check the ribbon cables...there are 2 + the screen. Also, of the 7 screws on the bottom (one is under the label beneath the concentric video screen image with a V in it) the center two (front and back) are the same, but longer than the others and need to be returned to their places. I put one in the wrong hole once (it expected a shorted #6T screw) and punched a hole in the KB..

Edited by Hal 2009-10-23 2:08 PM
 Top of the page
Prof Quatermass Page Icon Posted 2009-11-02 2:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for your helpful replies. So far it seems my ham fisted attempts at a "fix" are working - I've had no problems since.

Boy, I love these little HPCs.

Work have issued me with a laptop and a Netbook but I still use the Compaq Aero 8000 they gave out about 5 years ago!!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9