x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2009-10-18 5:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

How can one determine for sure whether their 900 is a factory 900 or a 900c? From photos I've looked over, they look the same and the 900c is not marked "900c" and I understand that its possible to upgrade the 900 O/S to 900c version.

The unit in question firmware info is: P530_421.8.5; Build date: May 6 2004; Boot Loader 4.5.1-6
"Device Name" NecMobilePro900

The underside has a Microsoft sticker: "Windows CE.NET 4.2 Pro Plus" and am NEC sticker with SN: 4AFMA00251
Its Made in Taiwan and has Canadian markings, including "Canada ID: 2496C-LF560RK"

Thank You for any help you may extend to me in identifying this 900 unit.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-10-18 7:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The series number on all the 900 Mobilepros is "Series 900" The model number for factory built 900C will say Model 900C on the label on the bottom. The 900 will say Model 900 or 9000 or 900b...depending on the production year. Your firmware shows that it was a later model 900C, but that it doesn't have the optimal bootloader installed on it. You should read this page here: http://hpcmonex.net/nec900/roms2.html in order to determine how to upgrade/reflash your 900 series handheld.

Also check out this page http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0041.asp for various Mobilepro builds.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2009-10-19 4:37 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I thank you for your response. It was sold to me a while back by a HPC member as a 900c but I gradually became confused as to what exactly I have as it is not labeled "900c" anywhere but it seems a 900c in every other way. Thank you for the information about the boot loader. I am happy with the purchase. I just need to know for certain what I have so I may derive maximum benefit from it.

I have physical limits caused by medical issues from the Vietnam War. I cannot begin to describe how handy these old handhelds are for a person afflicted like myself. I must sit a lot with my legs extended which seriously limits PC and Laptop use. The new netbooks are not much better than other PCs. PDAs and Smart Phones are too small and impractical insofar as data input goes but the old MobilePros and HP Jornadas are perfect.

--Bruised

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-10-24 1:26 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rich: wow, was there such a thing as 900b? I wish I had one of those! hehe =)

anyway, the SN is what will tell you what it is. 4AFMA00251 means it is a 900 sold as 900C i.e. they (NEC) put the ce.net on it to upgrade it to be a C before shipping it to shops - that's my theory anyway on the A's C's (xxFMCxxxxx) are "true" 900c's. the only difference I've seen is CF handling in bootloader 3.0 (HPC2000 bootloader). not very interesting I guess, as long as you always keep bootloader 4.10 even when downgrading (but even if not, and it bricks, you can always flash via ethernet, just not as simple, heh). oh, and xxFM9xxxxx is 900 (not C, and not sold with ce.net).

Edited by cmonex 2009-10-24 1:27 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9