x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wireless Networking (i HAVE searched the forum....)

1 2
BANE not logged in
BANE not logged in Page Icon Posted 2005-06-13 1:21 PM
#
Hey guys. OK before I start, I will have to apologuise for this repeated thread. However, I have searched the forum, I have read numerous posts and have also checked the tutorials on the site. I am completely new and without knowledge when it comes to networking, and I am embarassed to say that , simply, I couldn't understand really how to get things working here :S I'm going to make an appeal for some step by step instructions, perhaps someone who has had the similar roblem, and found out how to resolve it.

Ok I am trying to set up a wireles network between my PC and jornada 720 (for those of you who know my situation with the 900C, yeah i'm using the 720 again, and the 900C is in my shelf until i put it up for sale ) What I am, aiming to be able to do, or what I think i SHOULD be able to do if I sucessfully networked the two is
1) to share my dialup internet connection, (soon to be broadband) and surf the net on my jornada wirelessly using the pc's connection.

2)transfer files between the two computers wirelessly.

Am I correct in assuming this?

ok, the nitty gritty.

I have a Windows 2000 OS, with an ethernet pci card installed. I have a NETOPIA 3347WG wireless router. I have it plugged into the PC by an ehternet cable. the LAN is shown as connected in the NETWORK AND DIAL UP CONNECTION folder in the control panel. The WIRELESS LINK light is lit on the router, so the wireless link is active.
On my jornada 720, I have a Cisco Aironet 350 wireless card, with current driver installed. I have a leaflet which came with the router with info like it's MAC address and IP addres etc.. (which means nothing to me lol) but I HAVE tried to use common sense and fill in various information fields on both devices whic may make it work.. but NOTHING. My wireless card isn't even picking up any signal from the router. (the card does work, I have used it near an internet hotspot before.

I was reading the tutorial about active syncing via wireless, and one of the prerequisates was a tcp/ip standard network.

I really am at a loss as to how to get this working. perhaps it is something simple, but I would appreciate it if you could tolerate my ignorance, and perhaps talk my through what may seem like the very basics of creating a wireless network, using the abve listed equipment.

I apologise once more,

............IB a n e
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-13 2:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

OK.

Firstly I'm assumimg that the Internet works over the connection between your PC and the router?

Secondly, you don't duplicate the IP data like that, the router should assign the card an IP (best case)

You router may be setup with SSID, WPA or WEP security; or setup not to receive any connections until they have been setup.

Your Cisco adapter needs to be in Infrastructure mode and not Ad-hoc mode

The adapter has to be on the correct channel

The router needs to be an 802.11b (or B/G) router; one asumes it is

Make / Model and firmware revision of the Router as well as your PC's OS would also be helpful.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-13 2:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

your assumptions are right, it should work, but not the way you were trying to setup all this..
either you need the router directly connected to an adsl or cable modem, etc., but i've never heard of this kind of setup. i can't see how the router would be able to pick up your internet connection this way (and then share it wirelessly), from the pc which is connected to the internet via dialup?
i suggest you just try sharing your internet connection on the pc to the jornada, without the router, there are different methods to do it for example by the means of a serial cable or usb maybe, etc. OR you can get a wireless card for your PC to share the dialup connection wirelessly, the latter is simpler imo. but as you already have a wlan router... why not just wait for your broadband connection to arrive?

as for file sharing, it should work this way, if i haven't overlooked something in your description. i have no idea why the 720 can't see the wlan network, but in any case you should delete every setting on the 720, as you have never configured the router (if i understood you correctly), and its default settings won't require any other settings on the 720.
you can access the router in a browser if you type in the router's IP address, for example 192.168.1.254 (it's the address of mine yours is probably different)
 Top of the page
BANE not logged in.
BANE not logged in. Page Icon Posted 2005-06-14 6:12 PM
#
OK guys, don't have time to go into it now, I'll do it tomorrow after work, but I have got my wireless LAN up and running I am not totally sure how i got it to work, but I think it was simply, uninstalling , and REINSTALLING the drivers for the wireless card, maybe something do do with firmware.. i'm not sure. Talk more tomorrow, but thank you, your information helped quite a bit (once my card detected signal

.................IB a n e
 Top of the page
pierre
pierre Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 4:55 PM
#
hi all!
I was wondering if its possible to establish a wireless connection between a jornada 680 and a pci-card without having a wireless router. I've been searching the forum and tutorials and doing some google magic for a couple of hours, but I didn't find an answer.
Sooo..I was hoping someone here could please help me....
Thanks a million!!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 5:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes, it is possible and it's called ad-hoc mode (so the wlan cards need to be in ad-hoc)
first you need to share your internet connection on the host PC (hopefully you have a newer OS than win98), then give its IP (the 192.168.xx one, not that one you receive from your isp) to the jornada as gateway, give a suitable IP to the jornada itself too and DNS (the isp's dns server or your pc's IP). of course subnet mask too. i think that covers all. if i didn't leave something out, it was a long time ago when i was fiddling with it before getting a real router. oh and don't forget firewalls either. if this description is too brief for you, at least it will give a start so that you can find a detailed tutorial too

Edited by cmonex 2005-06-28 5:16 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 5:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sure you can, you need to set both the adapters to Ad-hoc mode and configure them that way.
If you search the forum for ad-hoc, you should get a few hits.

The trick with wifi is to forget about security until you have it all setup and running as a regular LAN. You need an adapter with a driver that supports ad-hoc (not all do)
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

BANE not logged in - 2005-06-13 12:21 PM

1) to share my dialup internet connection, (soon to be broadband) and surf the net on my jornada wirelessly using the pc's connection.

2)transfer files between the two computers wirelessly.

............IB a n e

1. You have to setup internet connection sharing on your win2000 machine. this will also set the thing up as a dhcp server I believe.
On the router, disable the DHCP stuff. you need to get an ip adress from the windows2000 machine, not from your router otherwise you wont be able to use the dial up connection from your win2k machine. For your broadband, you will need to change the 2000 machine to stop internet connection sharing. and enable the dhcp on the router again.

2) should work with out issues. just hook the computer to a network port on the router, not on the wan port.
 Top of the page
Pierre
Pierre Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 5:43 AM
#
OK, there has been made some progress....just installed my cisco aironet 340 pci and set it as Ad-Hoc.
But I cant find where I should set my pcmcia card to Ad-Hoc...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 6:14 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

in your card's config utility. you should find it in the control panel or in the start menu.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 6:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ad-hoc is sometimes referred to as Peer to Peer, if it's any help
 Top of the page
Pierre
Pierre Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 6:58 AM
#
does LEAP mean te same?
I've got a feeling it's all gonna be working soon...with your help, of course
 Top of the page
moz Page Icon Posted 2005-11-03 3:40 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I've read and toyed with just about everything I can think of.. but I'm also still having wireless connectivity problems with my Jornada 720. I hope someone has some ideas, because I'm all out of them. Here's the set up and what's happening.. (I am *not* connected to the docking station while doing any of this):

>HARDWARE:
-Jornada 720 with 802.11b PC card: Lucent Technologies WaveLan Turbo "bronze" (no WEP ability)
-desktop (XP Pro SP2) with PCI NIC connected via CAT5 to port 1 of "wireless US Robotics 8054 (b/g) Turbo router" running firmware 1.64
-network: Cable internet connected via CAT5 to WAN port of the above router

>EVENTS:
-Jornada can't browse or ping LAN/WAN (browsing from PC works fine, regardless of whether DHCP on router is enabled)

-with DCHP enabled, Jornada can ping it's own IP but is assigned bogus IP addressing (see below), outside of range I set on my router (I assume it's from a neighbouring router). Browsing with PIE results in an immediate failure; "A connection with the server could not be established"
IP: 169.254.170.119
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DNS/WINS: <blank>
DHCP: 255.255.255.255
-avg. signal to Jornada from neighbouring router -- SNR: 10, signal: -90, noise: -97

-with DHCP disabled, Jornada can ping it's own IP (but not my router, my other PC, or the outside world (nor vice-versa)). Browsing with PIE results in an *attempt* to connect (3-4 second delay) followed by "A connection with the server could not be established"
-avg. signal to Jornada from my router -- SNR: 68, signal: -31, noise: -97

-Jornada can "see" the router host names with the wifi card utility as well as the neighbouring network (wifi "Network Type" on Jornada is set to "Access Point", and both network types it sees are "Infrastructure" <--I'm guessing this is the same thing).

note: regardless of what "Network type" I select, status for wifi card always says:
Network: Searching
Connection: <blank>
AP: <blank>
Channel: 11 (same channel my router is set to)
Encryption: Off

>ROUTER settings:
-enabled: wireless radio, SSID broadcast, mixed (b/g) Dot11Mode, NAT routing, TX rates (Mpbs)=auto, allow ping WAN port
-disabled: WEP, WPA, and MAC/IP filtering
note: router log shows no wireless connections, no wireless transmit packets, but 3606 wireless receive packets

>WIFI CARD settings:
-same results with versions 7.42 & 7.82 of Orinoco/Lucent/Agere drivers for CE 3.0 (I assume not a driver issue since I can ping myself)
-Network name: USR8054 (matches router host name from when I scanned networks with wifi card utility)
-Network type: Access Point
-Data security: disabled
-Card power mgm't: disabled

>PIE settings:
-disabled: auto dial, proxy
-upgraded to 128bit SSL

>JORNADA settings when set to static (DHCP disabled):
Identification: user name/password same as on XP box (domain is blank)

Current IP:
Handheld_PC
192.168.123.102 (static)

WLLUC461 - ORiNOCO Wireless Network Driver
IP: 192.168.123.102
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.123.254 (my router's IP)
Primary DNS: 192.168.123.254
Secondary DNS: 192.168.123.254
WINS/DHCP: <blank>

ppp1 -
IP: 192.168.55.101 <--(I read this was ActiveSync)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.55.100
Primary DNS: 127.0.0.1
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
WINS: 0.0.0.0
DHCP: <blank>

Sorry to resurrect this old post.. I didn't want to start a new thread for a similar issue. And sorry for the superfluous details, but 90% of the reason I bought this Jornada was for wireless connectivity, so I'm crossing all my fingers and toes here...

moz

Edited by moz 2005-11-03 4:06 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-03 2:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

there's another driver for orinoco cards (lucent agere etc), you could try that.

169.xx is not from another network, it just means dhcp failed to assign a correct IP to the jornada

you shouldnt use Identification. leave it blank.

thats all i can think of now, but maybe it helps you
 Top of the page
moz Page Icon Posted 2005-11-03 11:16 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for the suggestions cmonex, unfortunately I can't find any other driver versions for this card, and blanking the ID/pw/domain (+ soft reset) didn't help. The 169.254 network shows a router named "matrix" with my wifi utility.. does that verify a failed DHCP?

moz
PS- my orig. post won't allow edits, but I also updated the router firmware to the latest (v1.67 -- Mar. 11, 2005) with no change in connectivity. Despite the green lights and self-pinging, could this point to a faulty PC card?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.219 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10