x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wireless Networking (i HAVE searched the forum....)

1 2
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-11-04 4:15 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi,

Try setting a Manual IP, then, when it works, set it back to DHCP, it worked for me when I was trying to setup my Cisco Aironet 350 the first time.

PS: I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but my Green Light on my 350 Card only really flashes when it can't get an IP, anyone else noticed this?

Nick
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-04 4:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well it just means it couldnt connect to that other network either. 169 always means failed dhcp

there IS another kind of driver, search the forum

i dont think your card is faulty, sometimes it's just tricky getting a wifi card to work for the first time. sometimes even with the right drivers too. then next day it just starts to work. (this happened actually!)
 Top of the page
moz Page Icon Posted 2005-11-05 4:53 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for the further tips.. I spent another entire evening messing with this, but still no connectivity. The Avaya driver (I assume this is the other version you were thinking, cmonex) is v7.62, and is the latest version I can find that will see my router name and return signal strength values on it. The main Orinoco driver versions are 7.42 and 7.82 -- 7.82 won't do this, but 7.42 will.

I also removed entries from the registry under the PCMCIA section, did a hard (factory) reset, tried a static IP followed by DHCP as per Nick.. but the wireless client util always says "Searching" and never actually connects or gets an IP via DHCP.

Maybe I'm just not searching for the right thing in the forums?
 Top of the page
moz Page Icon Posted 2005-11-05 5:03 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

One last thing I thought of.. maybe some of the settings on my router need to be adjusted? I did try changing to 'B mode only' and disabled Turbo mode (proprietary US Robotics thing).. but I have no idea about Beacon, RTS, Fragmentation, etc...??

Here's the options:

Beacon Interval: (default:100 msec, range:1~1000)
RTS Threshold: (default:2432, range: 256~2432 )
Fragmentation Threshold: (default:2346, range: 256~2346, even number only)
DTIM Interval: (default:3, range: 1~255)
Dot11Mode: Mixed / B Only / G Only
TX Rates (Mbps):

Turbo Mode: Enable / Disable
Frame Bursting: Enable / Disable

ugh..it's 5am, time to go dream/nightmare about this...
 Top of the page
moz Page Icon Posted 2005-11-05 5:14 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

holy crap. it WORKS!! I switched to 2mbps, disabled turbo mode, and forced it to 802.11b. Ok, extremely shocked/happy. Now I'm afraid to see if my regular 7+mbps cable connect on my PC has dropped down to 2mbps..

Since it was the router setting, I'm gonna guess I won't have much luck connecting to other public AP's.. so I'll probably have to end up finding a good 'b' card for that anyway. *sigh*

moz
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-05 8:00 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hm, as for the mbps speed, can you try going back to automatic mode on the router?
you can adjust the mbps setting on the hpc too, or doesn't the driver provide this possibility (i would be surprised)? if so and it helps then you don't have to buy another card..

oh and if your PC connects to the router via a lan cable then i think it shouldnt drop down to 2, don't worry.
 Top of the page
moz Page Icon Posted 2005-11-05 2:26 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I think this card was made in 1980 or something. It maxes @ 2mbps, has no WEP, and the latest driver I got working on it doesn't allow me to select auto/other TX speeds.

On the router, I enabled MAC filtering since there's no WEP on the card.. but it *has* to be in fixed 2mbps mode, or the Jornada won't connect. And you're right about the PC/cabled connection..I half realized that after I posted my message. I'm sure nobody out there has their router forced @ 2mbps, so unless this is just an oddity with the USR/Wavelan combo I'm using, I'll have to try another card if I'm going to use the Jornada away from my house. At least it seems to work in mixed b/g mode.

The other oddity is if I don't have a static IP on the Jornada, I can't connect to the router (I can still keep DHCP enabled on the router though).

So.. anyone wanna buy a nice Lucent WaveLAN card?

Edited by moz 2005-11-05 2:29 PM
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-11-05 5:40 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi,

Glad to hear it working.</p><p>lmao, how much for it?

Nick

Edit: That RichText edit box doesn't work correctly, sigh
Edit 2: Ahh, thats better.

Edited by Nick Charlton 2005-11-05 5:45 PM
 Top of the page
moz Page Icon Posted 2005-11-09 7:24 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

hehe, I dunno.. $20? I think I'll probably hang onto it for the time being though, it's been serving me just fine on my own router. Was also actually able to get onto someone elses as well (as a test) and DHCP worked.. so I'm guessing it's the card/router combo I'm using.

moz
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-09 8:54 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

More like late 90's.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9