x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Registry Entry to force install CABs?

iforevans Page Icon Posted 2009-10-30 6:14 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

So, here's my problem. I have CAB installers for lot's of Apps that I KNOW will run happily on my Wince 5 HPC (Disgo) but currently I have to install them on my J720 then copy the install folder across to the Disgo simply becuase the CAB install complains about not being able to install on this type of device.

The question is does anyone know of a Reg Entry that will override this and allow installs of the CABS anyway?

Thanks
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-10-30 10:41 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

What I usually do for newer devices like that is use MSCEInf to extract all the files from the CAB (with the folder hierarchy intact), and then copy over the necessary files. However, that's assuming none of the registry entries created are important (MSCEInf will show you that information too, if it does insert anything into the registry during normal installation), otherwise you'll have to create those manually where needed.

Edited by mscdex 2009-10-30 10:42 AM
 Top of the page
iforevans Page Icon Posted 2009-10-30 11:02 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

mscdex - 2009-10-30 10:41 AM

What I usually do for newer devices like that is use MSCEInf to extract all the files from the CAB (with the folder hierarchy intact), and then copy over the necessary files. However, that's assuming none of the registry entries created are important (MSCEInf will show you that information too, if it does insert anything into the registry during normal installation), otherwise you'll have to create those manually where needed.

Brilliant! Just what I needed. Thanks for that :-)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-10-30 2:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

MSCDEX's suggestion is spot on. Another alternative is to download and install OCP softwares WinCE Cab Manager. It is more full featured than MSCEinf, but it is commercial too, only allowing you to use it for 30 days...then you have to buy it.

With it you can change the properties of CAB files so that they install on any cpu build, and any OS version. You can add files, extract individual files, and create full CABs. It is pricey...but worth it in my opinion.
 Top of the page
iforevans Page Icon Posted 2009-10-30 3:03 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Rich Hawley - 2009-10-30 2:10 PM

MSCDEX's suggestion is spot on. Another alternative is to download and install OCP softwares WinCE Cab Manager. It is more full featured than MSCEinf, but it is commercial too, only allowing you to use it for 30 days...then you have to buy it.

With it you can change the properties of CAB files so that they install on any cpu build, and any OS version. You can add files, extract individual files, and create full CABs. It is pricey...but worth it in my opinion.

Thanks for that ... looks great but at $99 it's 90% of the cost of the device I want to use it for ;-)

If it was priced at $30 I'd probably buy it ... but that's little too steep for me ...

Thanks for the info though ...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 29