x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

newbornlife Page Icon Posted 2009-10-30 5:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all,

I was wondering if you had to choose between Nec 900c and a Psion Netbook pro which one would you choose?

thanks
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-10-30 6:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I've owned both and I personally would choose the Netbook Pro. Some of its advantages:

• Larger, better looking screen (TFT, faster response time, and higher resolution)

• Variety of IO slots (CF, PCMCIA, and SD - all of which can be independently disabled to save battery power)

• Twice as much RAM (128mb)

• Slightly larger standard capacity battery

The only downsides in my opinion are the 2.5mm headphone/headset jack instead of 3.5mm and the mini-usb host connector instead of a full USB host connector.

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-10-30 8:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have both as well, and I second mscdex on the NB Pro, for the same reasons.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-10-31 4:56 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

I also own both

for me, hard to choose.

nec 900c is smaller and I can take it with me easier. and eheh, cool ROM

netbook pro is larger.. but has better hardware

in usability both are good, but for some software netbook pro is more ideal as it's faster and has higher screen resolution.

for typing I prefer 900c a lot more over netbook pro but this is very subjective.

so, up to you... what would you use it for?

Edited by cmonex 2009-10-31 4:57 AM
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-10-31 8:44 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I also have both and would agree with all of the above comments, particularly Cmonex's.

I don't have a wide range of uses, mostly note typing and document reading. My 900c is now being used as my daughter's journal since I like more screen real estate and quality in trade for a slight cost in keyboard quality. The size difference is pretty much a non-issue for me.

The NBP seems to run faster in video watching and net surfing, but I didn't clock it. Neither are anything to write home about, though!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-01 12:30 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Using my NB Pro right now to surf the Web in the desert.

That's the one thing the 900C has over the NB Pro, cmonex - your custom ROMs.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-11-01 5:17 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Not only may the NBP seem faster, but since you don't have to scroll around a lot and continually refresh the screen, it must be much faster. I don't own one myself, but if I could only have a single machine...then the NBP might be it (not over the G138 of course).

But these days a micro-laptop seems to have greater function. My HP Mini does pretty much everything...but if I want something small for just limited general use, my 900C always comes through...and is much easier to tote around.
 Top of the page
newbornlife Page Icon Posted 2009-11-02 7:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for getting back to me.
Well I would need it just for travelling, bit of web-surfing, bit of note taking, some video watching and need it to be cheap as dirt too. I would prefer a modern netbook, but I cant really justify spending 200 or 300 £ for something like that at the moment. Besides the first rule of recycling is RE-USE
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.148 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9