x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

BUG REPORT(??)- Tweaks2k2-06, Jornada 728

Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-11-13 11:20 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi Folks,

I tried to get in contact with Frank, the developer of Tweaks2k2 utility, and haven't been successful, so am posting these issues here, pending his take on it. I know last I talked with him a couple years ago he no longer owned a handheld, let alone was in any position to make any changes to the code.

The issue: When you open up the Contacts screen on the Jornada 728, the right-hand-edge of the detail window is clipped and entries flow off the screen and are unreadable, let alone easily editable. Also, I reported the other day about my testing the born date ( soft boot/S ) to find the text flowed off the R edge of the screen and was only partly readable. With a freshly cold-booted J728, the RH side of the window is not clipped (normal...see pics).

My research: Not knowing what was doing the clipping, I set up a test bed with a separate expendable Storage Card content, and began to uninstall programs, testing to see if the problem went away. After "Removing" EVERYTHING I could using the Control Panel utility, the problem was still there. Next I started from cold boot/scratch and added programs, starting with utilities. One I loaded was Tweaks2k2-v06, picked all the tweaks and sure enough the clipping occured. Cold booting and reinstalling a dozen times I descovered that when picking the option "System Tricks" and picking the radio button to make the System Font BOLD, applying, and Soft Booting, ended with the clipped window. I retried the cold boot, reinstalling Tweaks2k2, checking to see the Contacts window was ok, then picking the bold option, soft restarting, to find the clipping occuring. I cold booted several times, repeated the install, and got the same clipping result, and inability to read the diagnostic screen on the RH edge..

During installation of Tweaks2k2, the file MSCECommandBar.dll is replaced and I tried replacing it with an original file, but that didn't help.

Conclusion (for now): For the number of times I have turned on and off the window clipping problem, I am convinced the Tweaks2k2-v06 is doing it, so I advise users to beware of using the BOLD system font tweak. I am not sure what other programs are affected, or if issues in loading some s/w are related to this, or the s/w themselves.

Hopefully Frank is around still and can advise.

Comments welcomed.

Edited by Hal 2009-11-13 11:28 AM

(normal contacts screen.jpg)

(clipped contacts window.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments normal contacts screen.jpg (32KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments clipped contacts window.jpg (33KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ctitanic Page Icon Posted 2009-11-13 7:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

To compensate the change to bold you should change the font size one point smaller.
 Top of the page
ctitanic Page Icon Posted 2009-11-13 7:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

This is a common issue in all OS, lets do an experiment. Find in your PC how to change the DPI and change it to 130 or 150. You will find that in many windows and buttons the words on them do not ft any more and in some cases you will miss part of the contest of the windows.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-13 7:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I thought that might be a factor - thanx, Frank. However, is it possible this could be written into the program so the fix is built in?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-11-14 6:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The problem here in this case is that the visual studio 6 form designer didn't handle accessibility at the form designer level, but had to be coded into the application handling manually. Things are a little better in the .net generation - but not much better.

It's the danger of using fixed width controls, elements and forms
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-11-14 10:29 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I took Frank's advice and ran Tweaks2k2, set the System Font radio button to bold and reduced the font size from 14 to 13, and the 2 issues I mention above have gone away....My J was born in 2003...a newbie!

THANKS!

If users haven't tried Tweaks2k2, I would recommend giving it a look. It provides some great enhancements! http://www.tweaks2k2.com/
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10