x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sync over network without async.asy?

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-13 7:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, I'm officially stumped. Is there a way to sync a CE 4.2 .net device over a network without async.asy? Both my Netbook Pro and Fujitsu Stylistic CT2020 lack this file, so there's no ActiveSync dialog to open up to select 'Network Connection' - so no network sync. Is there another way? A search of the forums (and a look at the network sync CESD) didn't turn up an answer, nor did a Web search. Anyone have a clue?
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-11-13 8:20 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I was thinking that the current connection method for Activestync was stored in the registry?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-13 9:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That only controls repllog.exe, which only offers serial and IrDA as options.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-15 11:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, I see the command set is different on the NB Pro at least. Selecting Start -> Programs -> ActiveSync -> network runs the command line \Windows\repllog.exe /network rather than \Windows\async.asy. The problem I'm having is that, while it does recognize the host PC when connected to the network, it doesn't connect when I tap "Connect." The NB Pro user manual says that I have to enter the IP address of the WINS server on the NB Pro to match the network's WINS server, and that if my network doesn't have a WINS server setting (and it doesn't), I have to set one up. Anyway, I tried that, following this tutorial -

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0012.asp

- but it still won't connect.

I don't get it. Every other CE device I've synched over my home network has connected right away without any of these issues. (I also have DHCP enabled on all my network-ready CE devices.) Shouldn't the NB Pro connect right up too? I'm also having trouble connecting via IrDA at the moment (though that has usually worked in the past - good thing, cuz I don't have a serial cable or dock for the NB Pro); could there be a connection (no pun intended - or is there?)?

Meanwhile, I've yet to find any executable or command set that will initiate network ActiveSync on the Stylistic.

Edited by CE Geek 2009-11-16 12:09 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-11-19 2:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, I've finally managed to connect the NB Pro with the PC, but I'm still not sure how.

Which leaves one question: Since the Stylistic doesn't have a command set for network ActiveSync, is there a way to create one?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-26 8:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, I see that async.asy is not copy-protected, so I followed the steps described by David G (who did this on his NETA 980) near the bottom of this page:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3479&start=1

So I can open the ActiveSync dialog on the Stylistic, but "Network Connection" is still missing from the drop-down menu. I'm feeling stupid now cuz I can't figure out how to set up "Network Connection" as a sync option on the Stylistic.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-27 2:38 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Done!

Kinda by accident, though. In desperation, I tried changing the value in HKCR/ActiveSync/Shell/Open/command from "\Windows\repllog.exe /remote" to "\Windows\repllog.exe /network." Nothing there, so I changed it back to the former, and voila! "Network Connection" shows up. Dunno for sure why it didn't the first time, but I have a theory. I had just restored the Stylistic after a hard reset, and did the registry edit and soft reset before connecting to my network. At this point it still didn't show "Network Connection" as an option, but of course the subsequent registry edit was done after the network connection was already in place. So next time I try this on another device, I'll need to remember to establish the network connection before doing the registry tweak.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9