x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Alkaline or lithium?

BookWorm Page Icon Posted 2009-11-27 10:13 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

My Z50 has the option of using either a laptop style lithium-ion battery or 8 AA alkalines. I tried regular (non alkaline) AA's and they lasted about 5 minutes. Energizer e2 lithium batteries are advertised for electronics that take a lot of power. Will they work in something that takes a lot of power?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-11-28 9:30 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

They will work...but they are expensive, and they are non-rechargeable. Your most cost effective solution would be to buy rechargeable NiMH cells. I can't see paying that much more (almost double the cost of alkaline) for only an hour longer use on your hpc.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-11-28 5:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You're best bet would be to get an original IBM pack and recell it using 18650 cells. If you get some 2600 mAh (or higher) cells into an extended pack the thing'll last the best part of a whole month O.o

The dry cell kits were really designed for executive travel and those emergency situations while out on business. The cost of running them is prohibitive and AA rechargeables are nowhere near as efficient.
 Top of the page
BookWorm Page Icon Posted 2009-12-01 7:19 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

> You're best bet would be to get an original IBM pack

Where? Do you have one? How much?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-12-02 4:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Used to, but no more: sold them. Put a req in hpcbay and keep an eye on ebay.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-12-02 6:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The batteries are not cheap anywhere you get them....i.e. http://www.batteryrefill.com/laptops/ibm/workpad_240.phtml

You might just be better off bidding on a good working battery that comes with a used Z50 on eBay and keep one unit as a backup such as in auction 120500736520

Top of the page
DanC Page Icon Posted 2009-12-05 1:35 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Based on some extensive personal experience with rechargeable AA NiMH batteries in some of my handhelds, I would agree with C:Amie: You are much better off using the lithium cells, if you can come up with a suitable way to package and charge them. It is possible to buy the 18650 cells individually, or preassembled into a rechargeable pack of the desired size.

You could try something like this "generic" battery pack:
http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion18650111v2200mahrechargeablebatterypackwithpcbprotection-1.aspx

and a charger for the battery pack, like this one:
http://www.all-battery.com/universalsmartchargerforli-ionpolymerbatterypack37v-148v1-4cells.aspx

Or buy the individual 18650 cells:
http://www.all-battery.com/tenergy4li-ion1865037v2200mahrechargeablebatteries.aspx

And a charger for the individual cells:
http://www.all-battery.com/universalli-ionplug-inchargerfor18650cells.aspx

I have had fair to poor results using Energizer brand NiMH AA rechargeable batteries in my little Zaurus ZR-5800, my Sharp Mobilon HC-4100, and my Casio Cassiopeia A-20. Those are all very low-power devices. Yet the NiMH rechargeables, being rated at only 1.2 volts and 2450 mAh, drain so quickly, it's not even worth the trouble. In fact, the A-20 sometimes won't even turn on with them.

Dan
 Top of the page
DanC Page Icon Posted 2009-12-05 4:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

To clarify what I posted just prior to this note, what I meant by "lithium" batteries was NOT the Energizer e2 lithium cells which were asked about in the originating post. I amm suggesting the best batteries are the 18650-sized lithium-ion cells which can only be purchased from a specialty supplier, and which require special protection circuitry and special chargers, to be used safely and effectively. Thought I better clarify that i wasn't suggesting an over-the-counter solution.
Dan
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 5:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

DanC - 2009-12-05 9:06 PM

To clarify what I posted just prior to this note, what I meant by "lithium" batteries was NOT the Energizer e2 lithium cells which were asked about in the originating post. I amm suggesting the best batteries are the 18650-sized lithium-ion cells which can only be purchased from a specialty supplier, and which require special protection circuitry and special chargers, to be used safely and effectively. Thought I better clarify that i wasn't suggesting an over-the-counter solution.
Dan

+1
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10