x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Generic CE 6.0 subnotebook - I took the plunge

1 2 3 4 5 6
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-05 5:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No CD, no links. (Like I said, it's about as generic as an electronic device can get.) I worry a bit about that too. I'm thinking that it may have been marketed from more than one source like the CE 5 version was, so I'm hoping to eventually track down a ROM image/recovery package somewhere on the Web.
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 8:01 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Between this device and Netbook Teklogix, which one do you suggest that meet these features:

1.Portability
2.Performance
3.Web surfing
4.Battery life
5.memory slots (sd reader, usb etc)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 2:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'd still go with the NB Pro, which has much better battery life and three card slots. Performance and Web browsing are still comparable on the NB Pro to these CE 5/6 devices, the only disadvantage being that the NB Pro doesn't have built-in WiFi.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 4:48 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The NBP doesn't have a dongle-less (or adapter-less) USB port (which is cleverly left behind whenever it's needed) which is probably as inconvenient as having a wireless card constantly installed (and in my case, pultruding slightly).

That said, I'm using my Atom/Win7 netbook ($330 or so) alot because it talks nice with my work environment, runs presentation software, and does Internet things relatively quickly and with the extended battery, I'm regularly getting 6-8 hrs on a charge, comparable to my Psion Netbook Pro. But, I like the look and feel of the NBP (I run out of vertical space (NBP is 800x600) and still reach for the screen to move the mouse...) for my note-taking / personal writing tasks (which are disconnected from networks or Internet).
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 7:44 PM
#
While i'm not vouching for the razorbook ce or its clones (hard to find compatible software) they do have 3 usb slots and 1 sd slot, built in wifi and ethernet and like CE Geek i am also getting well over 7 hours on a single charge.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 7:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Both have their advantages. But if I'm on the road, what do I use to access 3G on the RazorBook? That's one of the reasons why the NB Pro is still favored IMO. (Mine has battery life about the same as my RazorBook.)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 2:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I notice that the specs on this device seem to be similar to those of the device mentioned in this thread:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14619&posts=3&start=1

It actually identifies itself as "Smart Book" in the bootup splash screen, though no other identifying information is displayed. It has a slightly different version of the ARM processor, though: the VT8500 mentioned later in the WindowsForDevices article.

BTW, I've installed Flash 7, and while YouTube videos will load and start in IE CE, what you get is one or two frames showing up one at a time verrrrry slowly before IE CE crashes. (Wish I'd gotten hold of Flash Lite 3 while it was available for download, so I could test that. )
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 3:48 AM
#
3g? Should've gotten the linux version. Supported out of the box with a dongle. (i dont have one but many of the elonex forum users do).I just tether my cellphone to it for gprs/edge/3g. Youtube is also doable full speed. However not built in the browser. Since we have firefox just install the video download helper plugin, download the video and play it in the media player. (i posted my how-to with pictures in the alpha400 thread here) Not ideal, but it works.

Cheers
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 4:01 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Slycarter - 2009-12-04 11:56 AM

Looking the pictures it is an extremely portable device that you can carry in little bag everywhere. Surely you are not going to see any of these with a lcd panel smaller than 10", but in my opinion is the perfect size. Not to small that you have to squeeze your eyes and but right to fit a web page in it.

Then, if your ideal is a handheld that fits your pockets, I suggest to stay on Sig3.

Exactly... Tegra and the other new arm chips would allow a Sig3 sized device with 6 or 7" screen. The best device for the job is always the one you have with you. If it fits in a coat it will go almost everywhere with me. If I need a bag it will only go some places with me
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 5:14 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have the Linux version, RTFM (actually the MIPS Linux version of the CnMBook, which had been incorrectly listed as the one with Windows CE). So you're saying that any USB 3G adapter will work out of the box?
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 2:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

CE Geek: Want to sell it?

In theory most dongles should work, however there is only built in kernel modules for 2 or 3 dongles. The Hawaei (sp) and vodofone dongles work out of the box (and a few others based on the same chipsets). Others may need the modules built (which shouldn't be too hard with a proper compiler set up).
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 4:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I got a Vodafone hdpspa internet key with ZTE chip. Do you know if it could work?
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 8:27 PM
#
I'm not sure. As i said i don't own a dongle. You could check the forums linked off littlelinuxlaptop.com or the manufacturers websites.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-08 3:21 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

RTFM - 2009-12-07 11:42 AM

CE Geek: Want to sell it?

I'll get back to you on that (via PM).

Edited by CE Geek 2009-12-08 3:22 AM
 Top of the page
Desmond Farrelly
Desmond Farrelly Page Icon Posted 2009-12-08 10:13 AM
#
I also took the CE Netbook plunge, I ordered a nice looking little one direct from Shainghai, they go between US 65 and 90 bucks on Alibaba.com. Upon delivery of said device to my doorstep, I was soon instantly disappointed by lack of third party software addons I could find for CE 5.0 Pro version, soon realizing I will have to do my own coding and porting...anyway I digress. In response to being able to view Youtube videos on CE, this little jobby I picked up for under a 100 bucks US has an application that has been integrated to work with Internet Explorer, it is called Corecodec Coreplayer, after being first disheartened at the Ce IE web browser performance I thought jokingly to myself, I wonder if it can handle Youtube?
To my amazement, upon browsing to one particularly obnoxious music video, I clicked it to open it and awaited confirmation of my disappointment...to my surprise Coreplayer seamlessly loaded and and began playing the video with full sound quality and surprising visual acuteness(as can be expected from the tinny sounding built-in speakers and LCD display on these devices) I had no problem loading video after streaming video, I was really amazed.
The particular model I purchased has a number of Apps custom ported for the consumer:
RAR for Zip files
Coreplayer
nPOPuk for email client
Windows Mobile
Word
Powerpoint Viewer
Spread Excel for spreadsheets
Windows Messenger for Ce
Foxit Reader for PDF
Windows media player is only used as a MP4 player for my music files

All in all for the cost of a tank of fuel in my car, and a large pizza, I have a fully functional netbook for under the cost of the highend jobs.
it has an Arm PROCESSOR OPERATING AT 266 mhz
Nand flash 64/2 gig
and 3 usb ports: KB, Mouse support and external USB HDD,
one RJ45 jack, built in 802.11
and it has an SD slot for cards up to 8 GIG internal HD/Mem
Yeah not fancy, but can put it in my backpack or my glovebox and not have to worry about being without email access, the one drawback is the Wifi really sucks up the battery power, I have managed a little over 3 hours of battery time when using wireless.
Hope that adds to the mix, I love this forum, so much information. Take care.

Desmond
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.263 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10