x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Major problems

1 2
ShimmyShine Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 9:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have tried a hard reboot, and it hasn't resolved anything.

No matter what file I download to install on my NEC 900, everyone of them gives me the not compatible or w whatever the error is. I have a WPC11 wireless card for my NEC 900, but when I plug it in - the lights come on, and it asks for the driver name but I can't find the right install file and I have tried a few .inf files and it doesn't find them.

I am curious if flashing my 900 to a 900c will help resolve these issues, but tutorials for the mobilepro on the internet are so scarce its hard to find anything related to it but reviews.

If anyone could please help me, I would appreciate it greatly! I have my laptop, but I would love something lighter when I don't need full function of my laptop.

Thank you for everyone's help!

Jeff
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 11:35 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Try "prismnds" for your wireless card driver. Search for Rich Hawley's page for more MP900 information. I'd go with the cmonex v2 ROM update rather than just stopping at the 900c (since you're going to the (relative) pain and (minor) danger of flashing anyway), but some people wouldn't agree. Just follow the directions on her website. Her upgrade includes some nifty customizations and just about every "normal" upgrade and odd file that you'd need (including 2 or 3 common wireless card drivers).
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 11:39 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Oh yeah, when you say "no matter what file..." are you referring to wireless card drivers or actual applications. If the latter, have you read up on .CAB installs, using Activesync, etc. as well as the need to match your processor to your OS? Windows CE isn't as straightforward as Win95/98, etc.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 6:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually all the wifi drivers anyone would ever need are right here on HPCFactor!

Nearly all the files you download are meant to be installed on a standard desktop/laptop computer...not on the Mobilepro itself.

After running the program on your desktop, it should install via Activesync, or you may have to manually copy the cab file over and install the driver that way if you don't use Activesync...again, lots of info about how to do that on this website as well.
 Top of the page
ShimmyShine Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 9:11 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey, thanks guys!

By any file, I mean .exe (Trying to install it on the mobilepro) or .cab (I can't get activesync to run.. I have windows 7).. But I have tried installing registry editors and some games and no luck.

Also, is flashing going to be a tough process? If this thing is too much of a hassle, I might just sell it. But I recently bought the wifi card for it and would love getting it to work.

Thanks for the answers!

Jeff
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-08 3:30 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Reflashing is a pretty simple process, as long as you remember to first upgrade the bootloader version to 4.10 if it isn't already. (There's a firmware/bootloader link in the Control Panel to check this.)

You can try extracting the CABs with MSCEInf (a free program you run on the PC) before putting them on a memory card to run in the 900(C).
 Top of the page
ShimmyShine Page Icon Posted 2009-12-08 9:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Awesome, thank you for your reply! Do you have a link to a tutorial or can you maybe write one up real quick? I don't want to brick it then not have something to sell OR play with

Thank you!

Jeff
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-08 12:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The bootloader update is included in the official ROM upgrade package, which is available with instructions included here on HPC:Factor. Just click on "Support & Tutorials" on the top of this page, and then on the link right under it for H/PC:Update.

cmonex' custom 900C ROM can be found here (also with instructions included):

http://www.hpcmonex.net/nec900/customroms.html
 Top of the page
ShimmyShine Page Icon Posted 2009-12-08 6:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

This might be a dumb question, how do I know what bootloader I currently have?

Thanks!

Jeff

EDIT: I found it, my device information is:

Firmware Version: P530_43 1.8.5
Bootlader Version 4.5.1-6

Does this mean my bootloader is higher than 4.1? Or should I install the first rom update available on that page?

Edited by ShimmyShine 2009-12-08 6:27 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-08 6:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Not at all. You have exactly the versions you DON'T want. The upgrade will give you firmware version 2.02 and bootloader version 4.10. (It's not 4.1 - don't think in decimal terms. 10 after the decimal point is higher than 5.) Definitely upgrade the firmware/bootloader before flashing the ROM.
 Top of the page
ShimmyShine Page Icon Posted 2009-12-08 6:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So what I want to do is download and run through the instructions they have posted for this file: "CE 4.2 ROM Image + Boot loader P530_42 2.02 + 4.10BL".

Thanks for your help again!

Jeff

EDIT: Also, when I try to run the modem firmware update it says that it isn't a valid windows application. I get this with every application.

EDIT 2: I am sorry, I don't want to experiment with this for the fact that it can brick easily, but i realized I have to open the modem firmware update on my computer and copy it over ..

EDIT 3: Well I ran the update and ended up with this message: "No update done, please hard reset device.". I'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing..

Edited by ShimmyShine 2009-12-08 7:09 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-12-09 12:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You probably already had the modem update on your machine...only a few of the very early Mobilepros had problems with it...
 Top of the page
ShimmyShine Page Icon Posted 2009-12-09 11:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Awesome, thank you. I am still left with the problem that it won't update. It gives the error explained in edit 3 of my previous post.

Thanks!

Jeff
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-12-10 12:09 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I didn't understand your edits. What is your current bootloader version and OS status (i.e., did you actually check it or are you assuming that the message meant no change was made)? Did you do a hard reset?

I also can't tell if you understand the issue that most .exe files are run on your desktop machine (firing up an installer) or on your MP (which needs to be copied onto the CF card or transferred via Activesync), but NOT both. Upgrading your OS isn't going to "fix" the application issue, because that's a user error.
 Top of the page
ShimmyShine Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 9:04 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

If you hadn't read edit 2 then I said that I realized some had to be opened on my computer....

And no it didn't change the firmware, I did look.

Once again, I don't want to update just for the user error (Because I'm pretty dumb, you've pointed out). The wifi card WSG11 won't work in what I have, and I have read that updating the OS will help (sometimes). Could be me just assuming my dumb thoughts again.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 28