x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

More Newbie questions - tell me off if u like!

mel Page Icon Posted 2009-12-10 7:36 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the quick response to my previous for an HTML editor for CE guys, I'm having a look at these two on the dextop just now. You'll have to excuse me for questions whilst I'm learning, but I've almost invariably found forums have lots of good guys willing to help. This one seems no different.

Am I correct (from what I've read in the small handbook with the machine) to assume I could in fact load one of these- or any other program I might wish to install - onto an SD card and run from there? And would this be done using the Active-Sync thingy? (See how technical I can be ! ) Like, stick the SD card into the dextop and download the program there then transfer into the netbook, or put the card into the netbook and do something with the Sync thing?

And another question - if the Active Sync is for WinXP (on my desktop) I load that onto the desktop and tell it to connect using the USB lead, but I also have a laptop running Vista. Do you reckon I could load the other sync-ing program for Vista on the laptop and tell it to look for the netbook from the laptop - i.e. be able to sync to both if necessary - or is that too complicated? Obviously not at the same time, but I do work on both the laptop and the dextop.

Mel
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-12-10 8:06 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Install using activesync over usb cable if software comes as a Windows installer (total commander does).

If software comes as cab you should be able to pop on SD (either by moving SD to main PC or dragging to SD over USB cable while activesync is connected). The cab will then install (hopefully) by double tapping it (if not the cab's contents can be extracted on desktop machine and placed on SD).

I personally would use XP with activesync to do the software installing etc. but WMDC (vista's version of activesync) should see the unit. syncing with 2 devices should not present a problem. However, depending on what you want to sync you may run into the odd problem with one or other bit of software. If you do see problems give us lot a shout

John
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 1:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

If you run the installer on the PC without the device connected, it will still create the CAB files (usually in Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync). You can copy those (as long as they are ARM versions) to an SD card and then execute them on the device, as mr-mac says.

mel - 2009-12-10 4:36 AM
You'll have to excuse me for questions whilst I'm learning, but I've almost invariably found forums have lots of good guys willing to help. This one seems no different.

Geez, I'm kinda disappointed. We try to be different.

mel - 2009-12-10 4:36 AM
And would this be done using the Active-Sync thingy? (See how technical I can be ! )

Yeah, you're confusing me with those big technical terms.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10