x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linksys connection with new wireless connection at home

Christopher Page Icon Posted 2009-12-10 7:28 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have a Jornada 728 and a Linksys WPC11 v.3. wireless card. I have been successful in the past connecting to an unsecure wireless network. I have just recently had my own router installed at my home, set up for WEP, but I am not able to connect.

On the Jornada I am at 100 percent for Link Quality and Signal Strength, but when I try to view a web page I get the following message:

"A connection with the server could not be established"

Hopfully someone out there in the same situation could help shed some light on a solution.

Again, I could connect before on an unsecure system, but am now trying to connect to my own router.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 12:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Another happy WPC11 user.

As I keep saying, this is a great card if you can get it to work. Some have succeeded, some haven't - just do a search of the forums with the keywords "Linksys WPC11" to see lots of other folks' experiences (and maybe finding a solution along the way that works for you).
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 10:55 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Not very comforting. Is that to say the likes of ORiNOCO/Enterasys/WaveLAN with the Agere drivers are easier to setup??
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 1:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

By my experience, a resounding yes.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-12-16 12:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Geek and Amie:

Christopher and I both have the subject Linksys card and have been developing a hard to find step-by-step procedure to get it running on the HPC2000 (Jornada 72x, specifically). Is there a way to load some portion of this to the Support database? Seems it would come in handy for anyone trying to do the same setup in the future and eliminate the hit-and-miss searching for procedures in the Forum. Here it is:

Step by step instructions for installing the Linksys WPC11 ver.3 Wireless PC Card on a Jornada 720/728 using a .

1. Make sure that your Linksys card says WPC11 ver.3 (this info can be found on the back of the card). Do not insert it into your Jornada yet!!
2. From the HPC site (you must be logged in) download the WPC11 driver (wpc11v3_wince_dr.exe) onto your main computer and save it:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r=C2ACF9CC-5855-4316-900B-39D98E85C55E

3. Establish a connection between your main computer and your Jornada using ActiveSync.
4. Unzip the files to the Linksys folder and note its location on your main computer.
5. Navigate to the Linksys Driver folder above and Run the WPC11 driver setup program.
6. InstallShield Wizard will run on your main computer: select "Next".
7. Click "Yes" to accept the Warranty Policy/license terms.
8. At "Chose Destination Location": select "Next".
9. At "Wireless Mode" select "Infrastructure" then select "Next".
10. At "Enter SSID" enter the name of your wireless home connection or "any" if you are not wishing to connect to your own home secure account
11. At "Start Copying Files" (review the stats for accuracy, and go BACK to edit them if not correct), then select "Next".
12. Copying now begins and the ActiveSync "Add/Remove Programs" dialog boxes appear with message "Retrieving Device Data".
13. When prompted, select "Yes" to install to the default directory.
14. Look at your Jornada - you should see a message on it that says "Installation is completed successfully".
15. Click "OK" on the Jornada to close the screen.
16. Click "OK" on your main computer.
17. Click "Finish" on your main computer.
18. Insert your WPC11 ver.3 wireless card into your Jornada PC Card slot.
19. At the dialog box "Instant Wireless Network Card Driver Settings", tap OK for "Obtain an IP address via HDCP".
20. A "green monitor" icon appears in the taskbar.
21. Double tap the Green Monitor icon to bring up the "WCF11 Config Utility" (or you can open it at the Start/Programs menu).
22. Tap the Configuration tab and enter your SSID (your local wireless network name).
23. Tap the Encryption tab, enable 64 or 128bit WEP, and "Create Keys Manually"....enter a key1 and tap Apply (for example, for 64bit encryption, enter 10 characters or for 128bit enter 26 characters).
24. Tap the Link tab. Channel, link quality, and Signal Strength, etc, should show values. Tap OK.
25. Try opening your browser and loading a page, like Google. If unsuccessful, you may need to eject the card, run the WPC-11 Config Utility from Start/Programs menus, and reinsert the card when prompted.

Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-12-16 12:57 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Of course, we need to key in WEP in hexadecimal.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-12-16 5:00 PM
#
H/PC Elite

good point......CAuser
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-17 2:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for the step-by-step, Hal - we're always happy to add new tutorials. We'll let you know about posting this one.
 Top of the page
Christopher Page Icon Posted 2009-12-17 11:08 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Glad to hear that you guys are now thinking about posting this information, in a better location, so that it can be found more easily, than just searching through all of the messages in the archives for help concerning this card. Not all of us have the "card of choice", and for those out there like myself, who own the Linksys WPC11 ver.3 card, I just wanted this info to be out there - to help others like myself connect to the Internet with one of these cards and their Jornada 720/728.

Special thanks to Hal, who worked with me on this, so that we could find a solution to my problem.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-12-19 11:03 AM
#
H/PC Elite

There is a good set of notes on setting up this card on the NEC 900c w/CE4.2, and with this release of CE looks like a plug-n-play. Not so on the Jornada, so this 72x step-by-step can help cut the floundering when trying to do the setup.

Edited by Hal 2009-12-19 11:04 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9