x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2005-06-16 4:42 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi. Is there anyone here who has a spare Mobilepro 900 charger that they want to sell? Let me know. Cheers.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-06-16 6:04 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If you don't mind non-NEC brands, Wal-Mart carries a universal a/c adapter in their electronics section made by Powerline. It is one of those 3-12V units with all the different tips.

Just select the 12V, find the right size tip and plug it in (tip positivie). Only cost $15 for the 1000mAh unit (they also have a 600mAh unit for $10).

But it is electronically an exact replacement and I've been using one for my 900 for over a year now.

Rich
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2005-06-16 7:01 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I dont live in the US...
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-06-16 7:41 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

tech_girl - 2005-06-16 7:01 AM

I dont live in the US...

tech_girl

Where you live is probably something you should mention in a WTB situation!

Anyway, depending on where you live and how much you are willing to spend on shipping...you can order a new charger for your MP 900 from Laptops For Less at

http://www.laptopsforless.com/index.html
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-16 8:16 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

tech_girl

Firstly, read the hpcBay rules. They are very explicit on what you should do when posting in here. Having failed to do that constitutes a warning.

Please add your location to your forum control panel; doesn't have to be exact, your country will do - it just helps people work it out for themselves, saving these good people from wasting their time typing out reams of information which has no relevance to you what so ever.
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2005-06-16 11:01 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

My sincere apologies for not reading the HPC rules. Have done so now and have since updated my location with a country prefix.

SG = Singapore

Hurricane John: Thx for the info.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-17 7:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Alrighty
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2005-06-21 11:46 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hmmm....laptopsforless does not ship to Singapore. What a bummer! Any alternative place that I can look for one? I hope to buy a original rather than a mulitvoltage adapter though. *Sigh*
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 1:01 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

just buy a charger that has a similar voltage/amp.. do not but a multivoltage one! i used one for my 720 for some time, until i found out that it put out 14.6V instead of 12V. then i got scared then got a 12V charger designed originally for a scanner and it was fine (though the multivoltage one was fine too). and at last i have an original charger now
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 7:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Just one other comment on CMONEX's experience. Many a/c adapters will show voltages beyond the rated capacity. He mentioned 14.6V over the rated 12V. This would cause concern in any of us...and rightfully so.

But in many of these newer a/c adapters, you cannot simply use a multimeter, especially a DVOM, and measure the voltage across the contacts. You will get some screwy reading. These modern a/c adapters should be measured under load.

This means measuring with the a/c adapter hooked up to a dummy load, such as a 1 ohm block resister, or actually measuring the voltage delivered to the pcb of the machine as it is charging.

From what I read, the reason for the high readings has something to do with induced capacitance between the meter and the a/c adapter which is manifested as a higher reading onthe meter.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2005-06-22 7:29 AM
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 9:53 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hmmm...does it mean that I can look for any adapter that puts out exactly 12V ~ 2A, I can safely ignore the Input Amps (which is 0.6A) specified in the NEC adapter? Or at least find an adapter with an Input Amps of less than 0.6A?

Edited by tech_girl 2005-06-22 9:56 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-23 12:29 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

thanks for the information i never knew anything about this.
maybe i'll check the adapter whether it will still read a much higher value.. i'm curious
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 5:41 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Thought I would just update you on my quest for a MP900 charger...NEC SG doesnt sell this at all and was told to get it from NEC USA. Bearing Cmonex's comment about the voltage I went scouting for a 12V adapter unfortunately all the shops i went to sell multivoltage chargers.

Finally I got hold of a repair shop and he said he has a 12V adapter but the amps is 3.33A but............ he could tweak amps for me . So the ending is a happy one....Cheers.
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 10:53 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Greetings TG.

In most cases, higher rated amps don't matter. It just means the adapter has excess capacity. But if you don't pull down that level of loading, it does no harm. In the same way you can run a 12-watt 12v light bulb (1A) off of a 12v 100 amp rated car battery. The bulb only draws 1A from a 100A supply. Hence you can light up 100 bulbs in parallel. Lighting up just one bulb doesn't harm it. The 12v 3.2amp power supply should be usable directly with no modification except possibly for the plug and polarity.
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 11:56 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Oh I see...Thanks much for the info. Was told by friends it must be the exact amps... It cleared up some of the mystery...at least to me...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11