x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wireless Woes w/ Orinoco and NEC 900C

dlcatftwin Page Icon Posted 2010-01-06 11:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Greetings,
I am trying to get a ubiquitous (Lucent Tech.) Orinoco Silver wireless card to work in an NEC MobilePro 900C. I used the version 7.62 set of the Orinoco drivers found here at our forum download site. Installation went well over ActiveSync. Inserted the card and it is fully recognized by the OS network display. I have excellent signal and connection with my home SSID network. The problem. I see absolutely NO where to go to configure the necessary security information. The install simply put drivers into the Windows folder, but there is no utility or front CP to engage so that I can enter the WEP password (hence the only IP address I can get generated is the dreaded "169.xx" no.). Where do I go to do this? Wasn't the installer supposed to put a settings panel somewhere?

Thank you in advance for help offered.
DLC
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-01-07 12:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It's in the Agere Client, the link for which should be in Start -> Programs. Open that up and then select "Edit Wireless Profiles." Select the default profile from the list (it'll be the only one there) and tap "Edit," then navigate to the Encryption page.
 Top of the page
dlcatftwin Page Icon Posted 2010-01-07 10:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you "CE" - I do not have such a panel in my programs area. Your mention of this makes me suspicious that I installed the wrong drivers. My drivers had "Lucent" and "Orinoco" stamped all over it. Just for clarification, where are the drivers I (possibly) should have used? I may have inadvertently downloaded the wrong model or an older version.
Any direction would be most appreciated, thank you.
DLC
 Top of the page
dlcatftwin Page Icon Posted 2010-01-07 10:53 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just a follow-up that is indirectly related. If I could trash the settings preferences to the network driver, i could force the Orinoco to re-request the connection info, yes? If so, what file to a throw away
(I am sure it is in the Windows folder somewhere).
Thank you again,
DLC
 Top of the page
dlcatftwin Page Icon Posted 2010-01-08 4:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just a follow-up. Hope this helps others who are new to the HPC community.
1) the network window I was addressing was the "Advanced Wireless Settings" window found by pressing the "Advanced" button on the "wireless information tag/panel
- I presume this is an OS-generated window once an apropos driver is installed.
2) In this window, I had to delete the former network profile, which I did
3) Going back one level to the "Wireless information" panel, I forced the Orinoco to re-search for a viable network (mine) which it did;
I clicked "connect" of course.
4) At THIS point, the new window I was hoping to find materialized, where I could name the preferred network AND enter in the WEP password.
Here is what through me first time:
5) the blasted screen was too small to show that, at the very very bottom of the screen (hidden until I pushed the window up) was a "WEP password automatically assigned" tag that is selected by
default. De-selecting then made the WEP password entry bar alive so I could enter in my ifo, which I could not do previously.

All is well - hope this helps someone else.
Regards,
DLC
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9