x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Damn small linux and Nec 790

spidermac Page Icon Posted 2010-01-16 11:15 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

What are the chances you think that i may be able to run a copy of damn small linux on this little nec? if it can be done dose any body know were i can get alittle guidence and if there is no way can i get some guidence on how to load an emulator on the think i got the emulator i just dont know realy how these things work the emulators or the nec (i bought it thinking it worked like a regular computer although it kinda dose the sofware works differ) arg
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-01-16 1:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you don't specifically need DSL, consider BSD: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/explaining-bsd/comparing-bsd-and-linux.html

Edited by hmascience 2010-01-16 1:27 PM
 Top of the page
spidermac Page Icon Posted 2010-01-16 10:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

my question is is it a gui and is it touch screen compatable
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2010-01-16 11:00 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

NetBSD works on the MobilePro 780 and 790, but you won't find a decent enough browser that will run well on those devices. Dillo is pretty quick, but it doesn't have a lot of the rendering features of "modern" web browsers like firefox, chrome, etc.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2010-05-05 8:26 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you like DSL, I think you might like a newer distro Puppy Linux much better. DSL has been dormant for about two years. I suspect it's an abandoned distro due to severe infighting between the founder and most of the project group. Puppy Linux, in my opinion is much better anyway. Unlike the DSL forum, Puppy forums are very active and there are many enthusiasts around the world, who have developed many variants, most of them even smaller!

Puppy auto loads itself into RAM memory and runs from there (provided the 'puter has enough available RAM. If not Puppy automatically loads part of itself into RAM and runs the rest off live CD. Puppy will also auto install itself on USB Flash stick. I have it on 4GB & a 2GB sticks. Even when installed on a USB stick with dozens of programs and user settings, when you boot it into another PC it detects that and boots up accordingly. It does everything DSL claimed to do and much more!

--Bruised
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9