x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

USB + HP Jornada 720 = Possibility?

Coburn64 Page Icon Posted 2010-01-18 12:21 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey all.

I have a HP Jornada 720 that runs Windows CE 3.00 (HPC 2000). I was wondering if it's possible to have USB Support via a Cardbus/PCMICA 2 Port USB adapter. I have a 2 USB port adapater that says "USB 2.0 Cardbus PC Card". Windows thinks it has a NEC Chip on the USB adapter circuit board when connected to my laptop.

I was wondering if I could use it in my HP Jornada as I'd like to use USB Drives with my HPC... I'm tired of having to pop the CF Card out all the time to get files onto my desktop machine (I don't have the cradle either, so yeah... )

Cheers,
Coburn64
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-01-18 12:44 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You can't use any CardBus (32-bit) card with the 720, and if there's a PCMCIA (16-bit) USB adapter out there, no one here has found it. There was a thread on this here a long time ago. (If it has the gold metal strip along the inserted end, it's CardBus.)

There is a CF-to-USB adapter for Pocket PCs that will work in the 720, but it's expensive and hard to find. There is one up on eBay right now, though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RATOC-CFU2-USB1-1-HOST-CF-COMPACT-FLASH-CARD-FOR-PDA_W0QQitemZ270383648295QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_Printers?hash=item3ef41f0e27
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2010-01-19 4:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I did a quick search and found prices between US$133 (buy.com) and US$159. CE Geek, aren't these typically CF II devices or are they CF I compatible? Obviously, the difference is that a CF I would fit into a CF/PCMCIA adapter so the dongle hangs off the side. CF II devices can be used in the CF bay with the hatch open if I understand correctly. Also it is important to note that USB 2.0 is 32-bit and therefore only USB 1.1 would be supported, much as you described with the CardBus issue.
 Top of the page
Coburn64 Page Icon Posted 2010-01-19 5:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yeah, the card has the gold plate at the connection end. Damn.

Disappointing. Ah well, just will have to keep poppin' the CF Card out and putting it in my Card Reader then. :/

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-01-20 2:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The Ratoc card's USB port is 1.1, so no problem there. The 720/8's CF card door only accommodates CF Type I, but there are PCMCIA adapters for CF Type II cards. (I have one myself.) Ratoc itself is offering this card for $139:

http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/CFU2U.html

But I see now that this is a newer version that only works with devices based on CE 4.x .net. You'd have to track down a used one of the older model (CFU1U).
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.168 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8