x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Good Web Browser For Jornada 720

nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-02-20 5:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hello,
I have a HP Jornada 720 and as many people here know, browsing with Pocket Internet Explorer is painful, then I tried Netfront, but the fonts are too large and some are on the wrong place. Because of this I want to know a good web browser for my HPC.

Best Regards,
Nathan Paulino Campos
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-02-20 6:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Handheld PC 2000

Several people here have had some good experiences with Opera using RedGear. A search of the forums with the keywords "720 Opera RedGear" should turn up several threads discussing this.

Another option, of course, is to run Linux on it and use the Linux version of Firefox.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-02-20 10:06 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Linux is great for browsing (specially if you have a turbo 64MB hpc like the J728), but I gave up on linux because the only good thing on it is browsing. I need a good InkWriter (the hpc built-in inkwriter is perfect for me on the college), a good pdf reader (linux pdf reader is either too slow or doesn't work) and a good music player (don't come with that freanking terminal mp3 players for linux. That really sucks!). GSPlayer and Adobe Acrobat on WindowsCE were everything I need. But CE was lacking a good browser. I didn't like netfront neither. So I found RedGear and installed opera. That's almost as good as firefox on linux. It's a fast browser and displays the webpages correctly. Now I don't need linux anymore, I just boot it a few times to show up to my friends, and that's it.
 Top of the page
MrSB Page Icon Posted 2010-02-21 5:16 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Opera and NetFront (3.3) would be my choices. Opera gives better browsing experience, while NetFront has a more user-friendly interface, particularly its customizable view settings and separate zooming of text and images.

Although i'm unwilling to admit that, linux on handhelds is in general not as mature as CE and WM. Sure linux (or unix for that matter) has great raw power, most apps are not well polished and rather limited in choices, minus those for scripting, programming, network manipulation, etc. especially when it comes to PIM (including inking) and other daily applications for average users (not hackers). I guess many ordinary users just like me would prefer smooth user experience to sheer power or hackability. It's surprising to see that even those good old CE apps like those on HPCs can easily beat the equivalent apps in linux, including those on maemo.
And big big issue is the lack of good power management. Suspend in Jlime seems still missing. Battery got eaten up much faster.
Android of course is another story. Yet it is not fully opensourced like linux and is also a purely commercial product like CE and WM.
 Top of the page
srknpkn Page Icon Posted 2010-08-09 2:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

can anyone know how can i find the river of Pretec Compact WLAN OC-WLBXX-A. it is impossible to find it. Please help me about that
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-08-09 10:05 PM
#
H/PC Elite

srknpkn - 2010-08-09 2:55 PM

can anyone know how can i find the river of Pretec Compact WLAN OC-WLBXX-A. it is impossible to find it. Please help me about that
This thread is completely unrelated to what your trying to ask. What operating system do you need the driver for? You haven't given quite enough detail.

Speaking of web browers, you ought to try Conduits Pocket Browser. It was originally written for Palm-sized PC's so is far simpler and not so much space is taken up by the menubar at the top. It's not quite free, but you can download a 50 use trial.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 29