x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2010-02-22 9:14 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

This thread is linked to this one

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14838&posts=19&start=1

but I think it's better start a more specific one on PhoneME in case soemone has other problems with it.

I installed PhoneME after downloading it from its site but at first look it won't run then I realized that disabling Redgear it works.

Now I can't understand how to install jar/jad application because it asks for web address and even selecting Storage and putting files into that folder PhoneME does not see them.

Is there a different way soemone can explain or does it work only installing things from web?

P.S.: I am working on a Netbook Pro

Edited by Slycarter 2010-02-22 9:15 AM
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2010-02-22 2:49 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I use build 19503 of PhoneME due to issues. I'm not sure if the following will work with the newest builds. There are several EXE files in the arm\bin folder. runMidlet.exe will run the application manager. This is the best way to install a JAD from the internet. InstallMidlet.exe will show a file selection dialog, where you can select a local JAD file to install.

I still maintain that this MidletManager package I put together will be the easiest way for the average person to get started with PhoneME. Yes, be sure you disable RedGear first, and then run bin\arm\runMidlet.exe. Opera Mini 4.2 is already installed, and from within it you can open JAD files (from getjar.com or elsewhere) and they will automatically install into the midlet manager.
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2010-02-22 4:38 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I managed to get Opera mini working before you reply but I'll try yourpackage somehow.

By the way, Opera mini is quite different from the one used till now and playing with settings I couldn't find an option to make Opera acts like desktop computer but it still loads pages as mobile device.

Did you manage to change it?
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2010-02-22 11:57 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Opera Mini (J2ME in PhoneME) is not the same product at all as Opera Mobile 8.65 (with RedGear). Opera Mini proxies through Opera's servers, compressing the content so that it is smaller and much easier to display on mobile devices. I don't think you can change the user agent so that it appears as a desktop browser. All in all, though, it is much more suited to the processing power these old devices have. You just have to be sure anything you do with it (including HTTPS) is ok being proxied through Opera's servers.
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2010-02-23 9:09 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Quite different indeed.

Pros:

Really fast interface and navigation

Cons:

- Stuck on mobile web surfing
- As Opera Mobile also this release doesn't keep login information recorded
- Every time you tap a link an annoying message pops out telling that Opera wants access the web and you have to respond "yes" to surf
- Every form you need to fill login boxes another annoying big edit box pops out that you have to confirm tapping "OK" in the menu and that cover the whole page.

Maybe it is not completely user-friendly.

If you have worked out one of the annoying issue above please let me know.

Are new releases of Opera Mobile reported to work on handheld?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-02-23 1:02 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Slycarter - 2010-02-23 12:09 PM

- Every time you tap a link an annoying message pops out telling that Opera wants access the web and you have to respond "yes" to surf

Go to Opera application settings in PhoneMe, there is option to always allow connection to WWW.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2010-02-23 8:00 PM
#
H/PC Elite

- Stuck on mobile web surfing
This is expected, since it is a mobile browser. Many sites do have an option that lets you "View Full HTML" version, and this works fine. Note that you can change some other options by visiting opera:config but the user agent isn't something that can be changed.

- As Opera Mobile also this release doesn't keep login information recorded
Perhaps try Opera Mini 5 Beta? I think it can store various user information.

As already mentioned, select Opera Mini in the midlet manager and then go into the settings. Note that if you are using a new or incorrectly configured version of PhoneME, the settings window will be empty... Build 19503 works ok.

- Every form you need to fill login boxes another annoying big edit box pops out that you have to confirm tapping "OK" in the menu and that cover the whole page.
Again, you could try Opera Mini 5 Beta and enable the "inline editing". The problem here is that then a soft keyboard will always pop up when you enter text in a field. But maybe that is less annoying to you than the full-screen editor.

Are new releases of Opera Mobile reported to work on handheld?
No, nothing newer works... Or should be expected to work on CE 4.2, really. Maybe someone has energy to write a newer and better compatibility layer... I certainly don't.

Edited by isotherm 2010-02-23 8:04 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10