x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

cellphone tethering?

1 2
MrSB Page Icon Posted 2010-03-09 3:45 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Dana: Is this what you are looking for (price aside)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxbbjobwaR0&NR=1

... Looks too good to be true. Where will it be available? Where can I find it?
Even better to me if it has a 7 or 8" screen like the G138.

PS I just didn't realize that I've been granted a "fanatic" status. haha

Edited by MrSB 2010-03-09 3:46 AM
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-03-09 12:12 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I don't think "what I'm looking for" exists yet... unless it's this one:
http://www.liliputing.com/2010/03/mio-v780-tegra-tablet-and-optional-keyboard.html ... but not at that price...

This whole thing is almost just an impulse buy based on the price. I got my Jornada for free (then spent money buying wifi card and CF memory). Got to like it, but also got frustrated with its limitations.

The perfect thing woud be an updated Jornada, with a screen twice as high, CE6, BT, USB, touchscren and keyboard (or that nifty dual touchscreen like the now dead OLPC2). A more advanced OS would be cool if it was instant on. No fan and no heat on my lap (one chief complaint against standard laptops).
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2010-03-09 11:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Jornada 690 is really very limited. Have you ever tried the 728 instead? I'm really happy with mine. It has a better screen (considerably better bright and more sensitive. Also has the fantastic "feels-like-paper" texture. It's cool to write on it), more RAM, much better processor and a not soo old WinCE. Many programs developed today still works on the Jornada 728 because of it's ARM processor and CE3. Using RedGear your chances are even better. I use my jornada for browsing (Opera + RedGear makes browsing possible. It's much faster than my HTC Touch cellphone), PDF Reading with Acrobat Reader 2.0, music player with GSPlayer, picture viewer with Microsoft Plus programs, word writing using the famous SoftMaker Office, and many other things. Basically I use my jornada for school and work. I don't even carry my notebook anymore. Just the jornada and a small USB CF card reader to transfer files from my jornada to another PC.
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-04-16 7:23 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

About tethering, WM6 phones have ICS, but is there any sync function in WinCE6 that can use USB, to connect with a phone, using the phone sync cable like you do in XP?

About which WinCE6 device to use...
Wow a lot in the last post by MrSB... though I could not get a full understanding because so many of the devices alluded to in some way, are unknown to me. I'm in sync with the search for netbooks this thread is all about, but with a special focus. I read elsewhere a thread about WinCE6 netbooks not being able to suspend, and I was really surprised, since you know you are getting hardware and software limitations when you choose CE over XP, but the main reason for accepting those limitations, is to have that "instant-on" which has been the hallmark and charm of CE since the beginning. Touchscreen is also expected in CE. I sure love these features in the Psion netbook Pro (WinCE 4.2), but I'm looking to get a WinCE 6 netbook now, because the functionality and peripherals that are too expensive or so difficult to get and install for the Psion, are already included on these cheap mini-netbooks. Trying to extract the info I need from the posts on this thread, I'm not clear about the devices (mini-notebooks, internet tablets, netbooks etc.) mentioned, as I don't know them, so I would need the full "official" model name including the brand name, to learn about them (and possibly find one to buy?). And I'm not clear about which ones have the true "instant-on" feature. Could we compile here a list of the netbooks running WinCE6 which have the same type of "instant-on" feature seen on the Psion Netbook Pro (and I believe, on the NEC 900)? Please list the brand name, model#, CPU type & speed, and other specs if possible, and confirm if the device has "instant-on" and touch-screen?
I tried to take an explorative look at the HCL hardware database - but it seems it's for peripherals, not principal devices? -- the list I'm asking for here is not exhaustive of all WinCe6 devices, it would be narrowly focused on those devices which offer at least one of these 2 functionalities - "instant-on" and "touchscreen" - so it would be very helpful if everone who can, would contribute here their WinCE6 (or WinCE5 if it's upgradable to WnCE6) device info, along those specific criteria.
...Even contributing just a few devices for the list would be very appreciated!

Edited by Jacobi 2010-04-16 7:31 AM
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-04-16 4:07 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Since this is the CE4 section (I started this thread before there were CE5 & 6 sections) and has drifted off topic, I've continued the tethering discussion in a new thread in the CE6 section.

-Dana
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10