x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Swapping CAPS and CTRL

RobertJSawyer Page Icon Posted 2005-06-19 3:31 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi! I'm thinking of buying a NEC MobilePro 780 or 790, and I plan to install PocketDOS on it so that I can run WordStar for DOS 7.0. But to optimally use WordStar, I want to remap the keyboard so that the CAPS key is where the left-hand CTRL (Control) key is, and vice-versa. I know this is trivially easy under desktop Windows (98, XP, etc.), but don't know if it can be done under Windows CE 2.1 (in the MobilePro 780) or Windows CE 3.0 (in the MobilePro 790). Is there a utility to do this sort of keyboard remapping?

Many, many thanks!

-----

Robert J. Sawyer

Science Fiction Writer

Best novel Hugo Award winner for HOMINIDS

http://www.sfwriter.com
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-06-19 6:46 AM
#
H/PC Elder

You might want to ask PocketDOS people if their program can do the key swap internally, which might be easier. Also check if PocketDOS spec meets the minimum requirement for your application (CPU speed, RAM, DOS ver etc).

Edited by takwu 2005-06-19 6:47 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-19 9:15 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Pocket DOS will support all the key map settings found in the DOS installation you perform against it, so as long as you have a suitably advanced DOS version then you should be able to do it with the right tools.

You shouldn't need to touch the Windows CE key map.
 Top of the page
RobertJSawyer Page Icon Posted 2005-06-19 11:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

C:Amie wrote, "You shouldn't need to touch the Windows CE key map."

Understood -- but it'll drive me batty having the key to the left of the "A" being Control under Pocket DOS and CapsLock the rest of the time; I'd like to map it under Windows CE to be Control. Is there a way to do this? Thanks!

Robert J. Sawyer
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-20 7:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You'll have to do both sides. The emulator and the host.

There are remap applications for the H/PC.
 Top of the page
RobertJSawyer Page Icon Posted 2005-06-20 10:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

C:Amie - 2005-06-20 7:45 AM

You'll have to do both sides. The emulator and the host.

There are remap applications for the H/PC.

Terrific! I've search under all the obvious (to me) keywords and haven't been able to fine a utility for the H/PC that will let me swap CAPS and CTRL; if anyone knows of one, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

----------------
ROBERT J. SAWYER, Science Fiction Writer

Best Novel HUGO AWARD winner for HOMINIDS
Best Novel NEBULA AWARD winner for THE TERMINAL EXPERIMENT

http://www.sfwriter.com * sawyer@sfwriter.com
----------------

Top of the page
garyfrench@icsalabam
garyfrench@icsalabam Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 11:34 AM
#
The "switch.com" program that is installed in the WordStar 7 folder will work. Put that in your PockDOS autoexec.bat file.
 Top of the page
RobertJSawyer Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 4:12 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Using the DOS TSR SWITCH.COM does indeed swap CAPS and CTRL for me very nicely when running PocketDOS, but I also want to find a keyboard-remapping tool for Windows CE / Windows Handheld PC 2000 so that I can switch the position of the CAPS and CTRL keys WHILE USING WINDOWS CE APPS on my MobilePro with a 790 ROM. I've searched high and low for such a thing, but so far no luck. Anybody know were I can find such a thing? Thanks!

----------------
ROBERT J. SAWYER, Science Fiction Writer

Best Novel HUGO AWARD winner for HOMINIDS
Best Novel NEBULA AWARD winner for THE TERMINAL EXPERIMENT

http://www.sfwriter.com * sawyer@sfwriter.com
----------------

Top of the page
LDB
LDB Page Icon Posted 2005-09-09 9:37 AM
#
Did you have any luck remapping your keys as I am also interested in a solution to this problem.

I am aware that this can be done easily via the registry in desktop editions of Windows so presumably there would be similar entries within the CE registry? Any ideas?

Thanks,
LDB
 Top of the page
trbloomer
trbloomer Page Icon Posted 2006-02-02 8:32 PM
#
Robert,

You are one of the few I've seen mention using pocketdos on a mobilepro. I'd read that the MIPS processors didn't run it very well. I'm curious how well Wordstar runs on it? I've been trying to decide between a Mobilepro or a Jornada 720 for running Q&A and 123.

Of course I could just run planmaker and word but.....
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9