x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

mini netbook usb problem

Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 12:56 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, I got one of those cheap mini CE6 netbooks today. I'm still playing with it, but one big problem I have is the rear USB port doesn't work. According to the documentation (such as it is), the side USB ports are for keyboard and mouse only, and the rear for other things. However, when I plug a [known good] USB thumb drive into the rear port... nothing. It doesn't even light up. If I plug the USB drive into the side ports, it does light up, but the system doesn't seem to recognize it, doesn't show up as storage or anything.

In control panel, there's a "usb client switch" which I can set to "mass storage class", "serial class", or "RNDIS", but no matter how it's set, it doesn't work.

Any ideas?
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 1:54 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

OK, made some progress The rear USB port truly seems to be dead, but the side ports do indeed see a USB drive. Apparently the one I was using wasn't formatted or somehow lost its format, though I can't imagine why. After formatting it on my xp laptop it works fine, and I could see a couple of files I copied onto it.

However, the large portable drive (an old laptop drive in a USB enclosure) is seen, but no contents. I'm guessing that CE doesn't support NTFS (which that drie is)? If that's the case I simply have to copy everything off it and reformat it FAT32 or exFAT, I guess.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 3:10 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Which one did you get Dana, and how much was it? I keep thinking that I might get one, why I have no idea. I already have or have had most HPCs at one time or another...and now I use an HP 2533t thin client which is essentially a lightweight WinXP laptop with a solid state drive that has been optimized for web surfing.

But still I have this fascination with WinCE and its respective devices.....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 4:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You and me both, Rich.

You're right, Dana, CE 6 doesn't natively support NTFS (though there's supposed to be software to make it possible).
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 9:39 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Dana - 2010-03-26 3:56 AM

Well, I got one of those cheap mini CE6 netbooks today. I'm still playing with it, but one big problem I have is the rear USB port doesn't work. According to the documentation (such as it is), the side USB ports are for keyboard and mouse only, and the rear for other things. However, when I plug a [known good] USB thumb drive into the rear port... nothing. It doesn't even light up. If I plug the USB drive into the side ports, it does light up, but the system doesn't seem to recognize it, doesn't show up as storage or anything.

In control panel, there's a "usb client switch" which I can set to "mass storage class", "serial class", or "RNDIS", but no matter how it's set, it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

The rear port is client port, same thing with mine. The applet switches the modes your netbook uses to serve the host. IT'S NOT DEAD, you can connect ur netbook to PC, just find slave-to-host converter.
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-03-26 10:22 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Alt Bass - 2010-03-26 4:39 AM
The rear port is client port, same thing with mine. The applet switches the modes your netbook uses to serve the host. IT'S NOT DEAD, you can connect ur netbook to PC, just find slave-to-host converter.

I was wondering if that might be the case, though neither the advertising nor the included manual make any mention of it. Well, I have a male-male USB cable that came with my external HD enclosue which I can try.

As for "which one", it's a 533mhz CE6 128MB RAM 2GB flash generic one... I'll post my impressions (and questions) in another thread rather than dilute this one.
 Top of the page
konker Page Icon Posted 2010-03-27 5:38 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Dana,

I'm curious if this Windows CE 6.0 netbook supports WPA2-PSK/AES out of the box?
I ask because I'm trying to find means of enabling WPA2-PSK/AES support for the wireless connection in my Viewsonic V212.
It has a 802.11g Wifi adapter that supports WPA2-PSK/AES in the firmware but the WZC in Windows CE 5.0 does not offer that option.

Konker
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-03-29 12:10 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yes, it does.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 29