x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Fujitsu Teampad Engineering Unit

[Frozen]
Frozen
ricercar Page Icon Posted 2010-04-03 7:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Picked up a pair of Fujitsu Teampad 7500 tablet Engineering Units from 2004. They have CE 4.2 .net, ARMV-4I PXA225 400 MHz cpu, 64 mb volatile storage and 32 mb persistent through power removal, 1024x768 color passive touchscreen, with built-in Bluetooth, 802.11b, 1 pcmcia, 1 Cf, 1 serial port (not db9, presumably for barcode scanner) utterly useless lithium batteries.

Unlike my Fujitsu Pencentra 130s that brought me here last year, Teampads have an IE browser which handles HPCfactor login, and include a USB HID keyboard driver,

There is no other thread at hpcfactor with the string Teampad. Google says the 75xx series was vertical market, not consumer. Are these units on topic? I can post photos and take apart of both Engineering Units and one off-the shelf 7510 (CE 3) from 2003, if so.

Edited by ricercar 2010-04-03 7:37 PM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-04-03 7:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Interesting unit, post the fotos please.

Judging by specs it is like a Stylystic C2020.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2010-04-03 8:08 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

They do fall in the category of H/PC.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-04-03 9:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, they look very similar to the CT2020 as well. Interesting, though - apparently they originally came with CE 3.0 on board, based on what I've found online. Please do post pix when you can.
 Top of the page
ricercar Page Icon Posted 2010-04-04 5:28 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Apologies for the blurry phone-photos. I'll update with clear photos showing the ports and internals when my 5 megapixel camera comes back from someone else's vacation.

The three Fujitsu Teampads I have are (a) A commercial unit dated October 2002 on the enclosure, but with a 2003-dated ROM image. (b) an engineering unit from July 2004 features in these initial photos, and (c) an engineering unit from October 2004, nearly identical to the July unit.

Image one is the July 2004 Engineering unit. To my eye the Teampad 7500 seems to be the OEM or vertical market Stylistic CT2020. This may even be a modded 7500 launching the CT2020. More on this later..

* The screen is 1024×768 with a "DPI" control panel for setting 800×600. I haven't bothered to try this out.

* The buttons are horrible-feeling mylar things with no tactile feedback. The two engineering samples from 2004 have the same front panel, but the commercial one from 2003 has a different grouping below the cursor arrows. (detailed photos to come).

* There's a mono speaker below the keypad on all three Teampads.

* There's a microphone centered below the screen on all three Teampads.

The computer power supply connectors seen below the first photo are what's powering the unit. I have no 12V 2.5A wall warts, let alone one with the funky Fujitsu connector. You'd think they might just re-use the Pencentra power connector, but NOOOOOOOOO. They have to invent a new one, just a hair smaller, so the Pencentra power plugs won't fit.

Image two shows the rear of the July 2004 Engineering sample.

*The left edge holds the battery. The white sliding buttons must both be released to remove the battery. The bottom slider is spring loaded. In addition to a physical catch for the battery, the top slider has an electrical switch to prevent the Teampad from power up when in the 'open' position. Yes, that was a bitch to trouble shoot. That's why I'm mentioning it here. My Engineering Sample 2004 batteries (part KD02903-8541 7.2V 4400mAh) are twice as wide as the Commercial 2003 model batteries (part CA54200--5033 7.2V 1750 mAh). Neither Teampad can accept the other's battery. I'm haven't yet checked the web for purchasing either battery in 2010.

*The top left door covers a port with the "10101" symbol used for a PC serial port. It appears like a straight serial ATA connector (i.e. without the foot of the L). I'll get head-on photos of ports added later this week. This 10101 port appears to be identical to the Commercial Teampad "EXT-2 LF" port. I believe it's intended for a handheld bar code scanner.

* Top center door covers a PCMCIA port. The word CardBus is not used in any Teampad 75xx document have I seen. hence this has a 16-bit limitation.

* The white thing in the top middle is a hand strap made of elastic. It's removable. This is fully compatible; I moved this one from my commercial Teampad onto the Engineering unit. I have no idea why there is an extra left receptacle bellow the one in use. The other engineering unit (from October 2004) does not have this extra receptacle, nor does the commercial Teampad.

* The right middle edge (above the huge square door) has a USB port above an 1/8th inch (tiny) audio jack. USB appears to be 1.1; Audio output is mono, right ear only, when used with a stereo phone adapter.

* The huge square door is for a single Compact Flash (CF) card. The space below the door is entirely empty when a standard CF card is inserted; I imagine this space is designed for CF WiFi antennas and their ilk.

* The bottom edge has two slots cut for physical alignment with a dock, with pads for a dock connector between them. These slots in the case are not present on the other engineering unit, preventing use of the dock by any Teampad except the July 2004 unit. (The commercial Teampad has no docking pads at all.

Image three shows close up of the labels, but the camera on my Palm Centro isn't up to the task. I'm also typing them in for Topeka, er, i mean Google.

Label 1:
CAUTION
Before removing the main battery
Please make sure the device is
powered off.

Label 2:
--barcode--
CT2020-DS
ACX0910220305034-DS, ST 2020, PX255
400 HMZ [sic; MHz was misspelled on the label] 128MB, WLAN, BLUETOOTH, WINCE 4.2, 1 YEAR
"Agency approvals pending. Engineering Units for evaluation purposes only"

Label 3
MAC ADDRESS xx-xx-xx-xx-xxxx

Label 4 Left Column:
FUJITSU LIMITED
Model: FHT661B1A
P/N: KD02903-8400
[FCC compliance stuff too tiny for my tired eyes]

Label 4 Right column:
Serial Number: 75006000A-429048
Manufacture Date: 2004.07
DC 12V 2.5A
Made in Taiwan

The really juicy part for me is having both CT2020 and 7500 appearing on the labels 3 and 4. I hadn't known about the CT2020 prior to this thread, so the number didn't mean anything to me. Now I understand the software "System Information" control panel saying Platform : TP7500/CT2000. (I'll describe software and firmware in another post). I'm wondering when Fujitsu introduced the CT2020. Back soon with more fodder.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-04-04 5:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yep, that's a CT2020 all right. Everything's identical to mine. Yes, its maximum resolution is XGA (1024x768). No, you couldn't use a PenCentra adapter anyway, since it supplies 19 V rather than 12.
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9