x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help installing a Chinese Navigation, GPS, DVD unit in my Toyota

Kristin Page Icon Posted 2010-04-07 4:11 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello everyone. I just recently purchased a Chinese DVD, Navigation, Stereo unit off ebay. There is no real model number on it that I can find

I'm trying to figure out how to install the unit in my 2008 Toyota Matrix since it didn't come with instructions. I have installed car stereos before, but the wiring harness that came with this one is unfamiliar to me so I'm not sure how to find a compatible harness that will make it work with the wiring in my car. I don't want to cut anything.

Here is a picture of the unit:

My Webpage

Here is the attaching connector that came with it. The white part goes into the unit so the black end is the one that I need to find an adapter for but I'm not even sure what it is called to find the right part:

Top of the page
MrCntry
MrCntry Page Icon Posted 2010-04-08 10:45 PM
#
What you need to do is cut off the big plug (the one that doesn't connect to the stereo unit) then purchase a stereo wiring harness for your year vehicle. You can find these on e-bay or crutchfield. Once the harness comes in you connect the harness wires to the wires of the plug you just cut off. Then it will just plug into your harness in your dash.

Hope this helps

Chris
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-04-08 11:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Thread moved from CE5 to Off Topic since content really has nothing to do with Windows CE

Tough without some type of wiring diagram...hit and miss for sure.

My first step would be to put a multimeter to the radio chassis and then to each of the 12 contacts and figure out which ones are grounded.

Might be that the chassis ground and electrical power ground are isolated from each other....but probably not.

Then I would assume the 4 pair of contacts that are seperated are the speaker wires.

I'd hook up a speaker to a pair of them (I have a test speaker with alligator clips I use for this type of stuff)

My next step would be to hook up a 12 power lead to one of the 4 contacts in the top, which ever wasn't grounded to the chassis.

Hopefully that would provide power to the unit where in you could pop in a cd and play it while listening to it on the speaker. By adjusting the fade and balance controls, you should be able by moving the speaker around, determine which is right front/left and rear front/left.

There are probably other power leads in that group of 4, maybe for the panel lights that turn on when you turn on your cluster lamps, another that might be for a power antenna that becomes hot when the unit is turned on, one that is switch regulated for power, and the other which keeps power continuously when the unit is off to maintain the channel/station settings and device memory.

Once I figured out which wire went to where, I'd sacrifice my existing radio to salvage the existing cables/connectors (I't too cheap to buy one like Chris), matching the proper leads together, I'd cut off the black connector and solder my connectors together. That just leaves me to plug it in and then enjoy the music....

Anyway, I've been there in my youth...like you, have installed many 8 track decks, amps, boosters, etc...though these days the only thing I install are XM receivers and ham radios...and then only in my own cars.

Good luck

Top of the page
chloe_lin Page Icon Posted 2013-04-09 7:54 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Found this somewhere else. Hope it do you some help

Mounting car dvd system(justcardvd.com)

Remove the panel of the dashboard using a screwdriver.

Disconnect all stereo wiring and carefully unfasten the stereo with a screwdriver.
Remove the headrest of the car seat where you want to install the monitor. Press the frame against the back of the headrest and trace its sides with a pencil.

Mount the DVD player in the dashboard. Use unit mounts and connectors to make sure the receiver is set correctly.

Installing the Headrest Monitor
Remove the headrest of the car seat where you want to install the monitor. Press the frame against the back of the headrest and trace its sides with a pencil.

Cut into the headrest using a sharp knife or similar tool and be careful not to cut beyond the pencil mark that you drew earlier. Put the headrest monitor's frame carefully into the headrest and screw it in place.

Put the headrest monitor in its frame and make sure the fasteners are securely placed.

Insert the electrical cords and wires down the hole and all the way to the bottom of the seat.

Pull the wires downward, tuck them under the carpet and run them toward the main DVD unit in the dashboard.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10