x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Kinpo Electronics PPC_100 Prototype (?)

Nevermore Page Icon Posted 2010-04-23 9:19 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

this is my first post here but I've been a reader and Handheld PC user for a few years

Some time ago I picked this up from eBay.de and it was put in a drawer until I rediscovered it today. Since I haven't been able to find anything about this device on the web or on Kinpo Electronics Inc.'s website I assume this is some kind of prototype or at least a device manufactured primarily for testing purposes. As you can see on the photos, it has no branding on it at all except the Microsoft Windows Powered one. No stickers, nothing. With the device and stylus, I also got a charger (5V DC) and a docking station with a USB connection. The docking station carries a KINPO branding in big letters.

Specs:

206 MHz Intel StrongARM SA1100 CPU
32 MB RAM
?? MB ROM
240x320 touch screen, presumably 16-bit colors
internal microphone & speaker, 3.5 mm headphone jack
CompactFlash Type I/II & SD card slot
IR port
3.7V 1000mAh LiIon main battery & CR-2032 backup battery
Hardware keys for Home, Contacts, Calendar, To Do
D-pad
additional buttons to start voice recording and turn LCD on/off

It's running Windows CE.NET 4.10, build 908. Installed applications (in ROM) include Internet Explorer, Media Player, WordPad and the following:

ceNOTE
cePIMs – Calendar, Contacts, To Do (demo versions)
ClearVue Document Viewer, Image Viewer, PDF Viewer, Presentation Viewer, Worksheet – Version 2.1

I dismantled the device hoping to find some clues on its PCB but all it says is "PA01-10-5", just like on the battery. The About applet (seen on one of the photos) reports this as being a PPC_100. I couldn't find anything about this either. Does anyone happen to know more or is there a way to further dissect the device/OS? If anyone wants a ROM dump (and tells me how to do it ) I'll gladly provide it if I can.

Applications can be installed as usual, I have yet to test some on it. I was able to get my CF WiFi card (D-Link DCF-660W) working.

Hope this is of interest to anyone

Edited by Nevermore 2010-04-23 10:10 PM

(001.jpg)

(002.jpg)

(003.jpg)

(004.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 001.jpg (96KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 002.jpg (86KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 003.jpg (77KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 004.jpg (75KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-04-23 9:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Windows CE 4.x .net

Not sure what you mean by "further dissecting the device/OS." What information are you looking for? You've already identified the OS version.

Nice device in any event - a Pocket PC without the silly Windows Mobile interface.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-04-23 9:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That looks suspiciously like one of the Cassiopeia pocket pcs, especially the back side....and as Kinpo manufactured many computer components for Casio...I guess it makes sense.
 Top of the page
Nevermore Page Icon Posted 2010-04-23 9:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

@CE Geek
Thanks for moving, sorry for using an inappropriate section! I meant to further explore the device, e.g. ROM chips (how big? flashable or not?) and/or the OS to find out whether anything has been added or removed compared to a standard build etc.

@Rich Hawley
Good point, was Casio still producing Cassiopeias in 2003? The person I bought the device from said its size and weight are similar to a HP Jornada 56x.

When I reset the device I get a green/white splash screen with bubbles before CE.net's screen calibration kicks in. No branding on that screen either. The device also has a jog-dial on the left side.

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-04-23 11:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, Casio pretty much upgraded to thePXA255 around 2003. The E-3000 was about that time and the DT-10 came a year or two later using the same cpu.

Around 2003 you had the Cassiopeia E-500, E-700, and a few others that ran at 206mHz.

Certainly the front button layout is very similar to the HP-560 series. I could see it with a different face plate...but the back is what convinced me...that backup battery and slide lock switch is classic Casio.

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10