x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

douglasamcintosh Page Icon Posted 2005-06-21 11:39 AM
#
Avatar image of douglasamcintosh
Factorite (Junior)

Have just purchased a simpad SL4 from eBay. Fingers crossed it is going to get here and work. Presuming it does so I have a few questions.

It is coming with Windows CE 4.0, is the upgrade (for big money !) to 4.2 worth it ?

I am intending to use the device for general too lazy to get up off the sofa type things.

Internet Browsing
Email (POP and IMAP)
eBook reading (Mobipocket)
PDF Reading (fairly important)
Instant Messaging (Yahoo probably)
RSS Reading (important, should have offline storage)
Doodling rude pictures and send them to people
Possibly using it as a remote control.

Is the above possible or should I just flash it with Linux ?

Thank you for any help.

Douglas
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-21 2:49 PM
#
H/PC Elder

douglasamcintosh - 2005-06-21 9:39 AM

Have just purchased a simpad SL4 from eBay. Fingers crossed it is going to get here and work. Presuming it does so I have a few questions.

It is coming with Windows CE 4.0, is the upgrade (for big money !) to 4.2 worth it ?

I am intending to use the device for general too lazy to get up off the sofa type things.

Internet Browsing
Email (POP and IMAP)
eBook reading (Mobipocket)
PDF Reading (fairly important)
Instant Messaging (Yahoo probably)
RSS Reading (important, should have offline storage)
Doodling rude pictures and send them to people
Possibly using it as a remote control.

Is the above possible or should I just flash it with Linux ?

Thank you for any help.

Douglas

Hi there Doug,

if you got yours from buddify, the unit *should* be ok, as in brand new, though the paper box outside is a bit scratched up. Not sure if yours will be CE.NET 4.0 'cos mine arrived in HPC2000 image. There is another thread on flashing the SL4 to either a CE.NET4.0 or CE.NET4.1 or back to hpc2k. So use the search on that.

I myself flashed it to opensimpad and tried out. Works great! Only klunk was that the launcher defaults to scanning the *whole* CF card whenever I insert it in, causing the whole system to go into slo-mo. Eject it and its fine. Otherwise, the whole thing works great with opensimpad! wifi works, screen rotation works, PIM, internet (Konqueror) etc works.

In the end I switched back to CE.NET 4.1 on a feeling hunch that a working driver for my wifi card was around the corner. Thanks for cmonex and c:amie's support, I tried practically every single driver for my Pretec wifi card, to no avail. Pretec recently got a new CE.NET 4.1 driver, so I got lucky and now it works great!

With CE.NET 4.1,
(PASSED) IE5.5 - Internet Browsing
(I use gmail, Y! and hotmail. Have not tried pop/imap yet) - Email (POP and IMAP)
(I use uBook. Works with fakedlls and hpc2k dlls) - eBook reading (Mobipocket)
(comes with Ansyr 2.3. Works fine for the pdfs I use so far) - PDF Reading (fairly important)
(Not tested) - Instant Messaging (Yahoo probably)
(Not tested) - RSS Reading (important, should have offline storage)
(There is MSPaint as free download and other freeware) - Doodling rude pictures and send them to people
(I think there are remote apps abound. Sample code from ms too) - Possibly using it as a remote control.

As it is, I find it not necessary to upgrade to CE.NET 4.2 as yet.
 Top of the page
mfradin Page Icon Posted 2005-06-21 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Snappy!

I to purchased a SL4 from the same person on ebay. I recieved the unit yesterday and it appears to be working fine.

My question is regarding flashing the unit from HPC2000 to CE 4.1. I received the image from C:Amie, and instructons,I downloaded the Bootloader but, I am totally confused on loading the bootloader, I tried loading the bootloader on a windows xp machine from the run, cmd console but nothing happened.

Do you have a suggestion?

Thanks,

mfradin
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-21 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

mfradin - 2005-06-21 1:24 PM

Hi Snappy!

I to purchased a SL4 from the same person on ebay. I recieved the unit yesterday and it appears to be working fine.

My question is regarding flashing the unit from HPC2000 to CE 4.1. I received the image from C:Amie, and instructons,I downloaded the Bootloader but, I am totally confused on loading the bootloader, I tried loading the bootloader on a windows xp machine from the run, cmd console but nothing happened.

Do you have a suggestion?

Thanks,

mfradin

Maybe you can list out the instructions you received from c:amie. C:amie did mention that there was a simple app that would just load up the new image and it is found in the SL4 already. I found nothing that did that, or if it *did*, it was not anymore, since the Siemens sites are no longer valid. Not sure if it is the same instructions he gave you!

I loaded the new 4.1 image using steps listed on opensimpad.org.

You need two apps for this procedure:
1. Hyperterminal
2. serload

Let me know when you got this two ready. HT is in accessories in XP. serload can be downloaded from opensimpad.org
 Top of the page
Tombraider Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 3:29 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi,
I also purchased the SL4 from the same person on Ebay and should be getting it today,

I think I'll leave it as is for the moment when I get it but I did get the CE 4.1 file from C:Amie, but no instructions. Are the instructions for flashing that file online somewhere? Could you post a link? Or if it's a text file, would you mind sending it to me through this forum?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 3:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've not offered anyone instructions over PM...

I did post a link to instructions here on the forum, in reply to Snappy! last week.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 3:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-06-22 1:33 PM

I've not offered anyone instructions over PM...

I did post a link to instructions here on the forum, in reply to Snappy! last week.

ooo
 Top of the page
mfradin Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 9:07 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I Finally figured out how to flash my SL4 to ce 4.1.

Thank you Snappy for posting the screen shot of your flash, this really helped. Also, I would like to thank C:Amie for your links to the instructions and rom image.

I have several questions:

First, if any one else has done this, have they noticed the processor now is clocked to 268 MHz from 206 MHz. (nice bonus!).

I have not been able to get ezunzip to work in 4.1. I have tried all versions.

Windows messenger loads but, will not connect. I get an error "this version is not supported"when signing on.

Is there a recommended site for ce 4 software?

Thanks,

mfradin

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 1:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

try total commander instead of crappy ezunzip totalcommander can zip and unzip and many other things and all of this for free http://ghisler.com
i guess it works on ce.net..
 Top of the page
mfradin Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 3:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks cmonex,

I already had total command installed but, did not realize it unzipped!

mfradin

Edited by mfradin 2005-06-27 3:29 PM
 Top of the page
esebastian Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 8:36 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

mfradin, when you flashed to ce 4.1, did the image image include the pocket office and pocket outlook apps?

I purchased a simpad pad on ebay which has ce 4.1, but no pocket office apps (only MS wordpad) and no pocket outlook apps (instead something called pocket on-schedule).
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 9:37 AM
#
H/PC Elder

esebastian - 2005-06-29 6:36 AM

mfradin, when you flashed to ce 4.1, did the image image include the pocket office and pocket outlook apps?

I purchased a simpad pad on ebay which has ce 4.1, but no pocket office apps (only MS wordpad) and no pocket outlook apps (instead something called pocket on-schedule).

Yes, it has Pocket OnSchedule instead. Looks more full-fledged than PocketOutlook if you ask me. ... and yes, no editor for excel etc. Only viewers. Look around in the start>program files ... there are four viewers, including one image viewer.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 11:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

esebastian,

Windows CE 4 does not come with pocket office - just like Windows XP doesn't. "CE" is an OS, not a platform. It's the platforms which come with said apps (HPC Pro, HPC2000, Win Mobile 2003 etc).
 Top of the page
mfradin Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 12:34 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Esebastian,

As the previous post's say, office is not included. Clear-Vue viewer works ok for viewing excel docs but must not be converted to pocket excel in active sync. I am looking for a better solution.

Pocket on schedule works very well when you set up the sync program. The only problem, is the simpad will not accept the new version 5.3 without an error message when trying to install.

Thanks,

mfradin
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 12