x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Tinybook support only

« Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... Next »
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-02 7:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
That did it! Thank you, CE Geek. Works on both J-720 and TB. While the import fucntion does function for vcf, it's one-at-a-time, the road to madness.

On the other hand, in the J-720, gemini-pims reads the "contacts database" in \Databases as a default.

I've returned to my original dilemma--I need a way to copy over my "contacts database" to the TinyBook.

If I used ezbackup, made a backup of the J-720 databases, and restored them to the TB, wouldn't that be dangerous? Since I can't sync with the desktop, I have no database directory on the TB, so would be restoring a backup to a non-existent directory.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-02 7:45 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

All right, moderate success, if only b/c of its lengthy workaround--open gemini-pims in j-720. That will read Pocket Outlook Contact Database that is synced with desktop Outlook. Then export gemini-pims contacts in cnt format (which is the only format allowing multiple contacts). Copy cnt file to TB. Open gemini-pims and import cnt file.

There they are, and in good form. But sans Notes. In fact, gemini-pims on my J-720 will not open any contact that has Notes. "Error occurred while searching contact. Unable to modify contact."

Well, close. A breakthrough would be a way to export Contacts into cnt file on the desktop, but I've never heard of the cnt format and it may be gemini-pims-proprietary. At any rate, I have more contacts on my TinyBook than I did before.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-02 9:33 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

A bit more follow-up: gemini-pims imports a *cnt file but actually makes it a "contacts database." Does anyone know where that's stored in the TinyBook? I can't find it. And if it can be found, which program can delete it? Because gemini-pims allows contact deletion only one-at-a-time, so users can't easily clean out the file and import updated contacts.

SOLVED: in RTFM's wondrous little package of WinCE60 apps, he includes, in \Extras, a selection of ctrlpanel add-ons. One of these is a PHM View/Empty/Delete of Databases. Copy that into \Windows, start Control Panel and there you are.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2011-11-02 9:57 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-03 1:13 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Found a thread by developer of CE Agenda who says a problem with contacts in Gemini-PIMS is that it can only read text-only Notes, which creates problems w/ desktop Outlook which only exports its Notes in rtf format--hence, the inability to open contacts-with-notes in Gemini-PIMS.

I guess this is a problem in the Sig3s, but I don't own one, so don't know for certain.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-05 11:02 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'm still struggling with an Activesync connection, and found no joy even when I used a laptop with a clean install of XP Pro SP2/AS 3.8/TinyBook drivers. Since this TB was purchased used, I've turned to its registry and find some strange entries:

HLM/Comm/USB/linkage, I've got a bind key to USBFNSER1. USBFNSER1 ihas only an empty parms key.

In HLM/Comm/USBCable, I've got a tcpip w/ a static address of 192.168.55.100 and other weird stuff that doesn't have anything to do with my desktop.

Could other TB users see if these reg entries match theirs?

And are these keys connected to an ActiveSync connection? Or should I be looking elsewhere in the registry?

Thanks much,
Jake
 Top of the page
GodMedia Page Icon Posted 2011-11-05 7:01 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey guys! I've got 5 units that are good for parts. One is password protected. Two have issues with connecting to the internet. One has a camera that doesn't work. One freezes during the startup. Would any of these be useful to anyone?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-05 7:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Why don't you swap the password protected daughterboard with one that has internet problems...then you would have one that is fully functional and that has both internet and password problems... You could then swap out the motherboard for the one with the bad camera with the one that freezes, and that should give you another working one I would think...and one with a freezing bad camera.

But you would end up with 2 fully working Tinybooks for only 10 minutes of work...
 Top of the page
GodMedia Page Icon Posted 2011-11-06 6:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rich Hawley - 2011-11-05 1:16 PM

Why don't you swap the password protected daughterboard with one that has internet problems...then you would have one that is fully functional and that has both internet and password problems... You could then swap out the motherboard for the one with the bad camera with the one that freezes, and that should give you another working one I would think...and one with a freezing bad camera.

But you would end up with 2 fully working Tinybooks for only 10 minutes of work...

Very true. Thought about that, but wasn't sure it was worth the trouble. I will definitely look into doing that. Thanks!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-06 3:40 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich, speaking of opening up a TinyBook, how difficult is it to switch batteries in the TB? I've read your earlier posts that say it's kinda tricky. I've got two batteries from dead CNM-equivalent netbooks (2100maH) and I was wondering if they might fit, if needed, and how difficult the switch would be?

Jake

Edited by Jake 2011-11-06 3:40 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-06 7:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The Tinybook batteries themselves are no problem, you open the back door, pull the connector loose, and take out the battery. The problem is that is is almost impossible to use a substitute battery as the internal space has been carefully maximized.

Most of the Chinese netbooks use longer LION battery packs that won't fit in the available T706 space.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-06 7:35 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Interesting. I had mistakenly believed that since the TB is a little bigger than the 7" Chinese netbooks that there'd be plenty of room. I assume that you've already looked for the stock battery, and that they're very hard to find

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-06 8:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

No, didn't research battery replacement for the Tinybook...battery I have is great and have a backup as well....
 Top of the page
Safiya
Safiya Page Icon Posted 2011-11-07 4:14 PM
#
Hi I just bought this (2 weeks ago) and I was wondering did u have any luck making it run faster? I try to ugrade my RAM but ran into problems. Mine runs on a 533 mhz. I can also be reached (Edited: Violation Rule #10)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-10 7:49 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hey, CE Geek,

When you run CE Agenda in the TinyBook, how does it read your Appointment database? With your advice about dlls, I have CE Agenda running on an sd card. But I can't make appointments and none of my appointments are showing up. I know the Appointment database successfully transfered over from the J-720 via EZBackup because GeMini-PIMS shows all my appointments.

Is there a dll I have to copy over to \Windows? In the cab (which would not install; I had to copy over a working directory of CE Agenda from my J-720), I see a pimstore.dll I'm not supposed to copy over that one, am I? B/c I see that the TB already has it in \Windows

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-11-11 5:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have no trouble viewing and creating appointments in CE Agenda on my TinyBook - but I have it installed in flash storage (the \Flash Driver folder). However, I have it installed on the CF card in my ViewSonic V212, and it ignores me when I select "New Appointment" on the menu. So I guess it has to be installed internally to be fully functional.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.255 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 9