x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Tinybook support only

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Next »
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-11-21 10:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hmmm, my bad, link doesn't pull it up. Simple enough to resolve however.

For the Grantee code enter XAJ
For the Product code enter T706

on this page here: http://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

On the search results (takes a few minutes sometimes), click DETAIL under exhibits and you will see all the available documents.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-12-10 4:22 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I know these are syncable in windoze, but i was curious to see what linux would do, or see the device as. I was kind of hoping it'd see it a a mass storage device, but no go. However i got a little bit of info from dmesg and lsusb.

Snippet from dmesg when i plugged in the miniusb cable:

[254075.804087] usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 14
[254077.760288] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 6
[254078.028064] usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
[254078.173954] usb 4-2: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
[254078.578991] cdc_subset 4-2:1.0: usb0: register 'cdc_subset' at usb-0000:00:1d.2-2, AnchorChips/Cypress 2720, c6:52:18:bb:a2:9e
[254078.582021] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_subset
[254090.336041] usb0: no IPv6 routers present

Output of lsusb:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0547:2720 Anchor Chips, Inc. AN2720 USB-USB Bridge

Probably of no use to anybody, but hey, i found it interesting.

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-12-28 5:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay, so I got a new idea on how to fix this Tinybook of mine... I'm sure the the registry is stored somewhere on the NAND drive outside of the normal area accessible by CE, am I right? So I get this idea that maybe I can access that area by manipulating the registry so that when I plug in the device, it acts like a mass storage device rather than a CE netbook. If I could get to that area, then maybe I could copy the files (nk.nb0 perhaps?) and others off of the NAND drive and use that to somehow to flash my bad T706. Perhaps I could even examine the bootloader to see which files it was searching for when it powered on.

Okay, so I start looking at the registry on my good Tinybook and see that the default functional driver is set for SERIAL_CLASS. I decide that perhaps if I change that registry value to MASS_STOREAGE_CLASS that the device will be recognized not through Activesync, but as an external hard drive. So I make the change, and VIOLA...yep, my computer finds a new external storage drive and gives it a letter.

When I go to open it however, I am prompted that the device is not formatted, and do I want to do it now? Eeeks, I'd better stop before I turn another into a brick. So I say no, and change my registry back to the way it was...and then reboot and all is back to normal. Still I'm thinking that the reason I couldn't see the NAND drive was perhaps due to the way it is formatted, or something to do with the partition table of the NAND drive. Perhaps I need to specify a default drive somewhere in the registry other than DSK1:

So, my question becomes this: Anyone ever done anything this stupid before or dangerous? Or am I the only nut out there? Is it possible? Anyone know of any way to explore a NAND drive via Activesync? Is it possible to make the hidden partitions visible in CE?

(currentreg.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments currentreg.jpg (12KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-12-28 6:01 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

That's a bit stupid Rich, but it could be a nice try.

>the registry is stored somewhere on the NAND drive outside of the normal area accessible by CE, am I right?
No. It's stored in .hv files in some partition of NAND, accesible to CE.

>(nk.nb0 perhaps?)
nk.nb0 is the file, containig image, but you will never find such file on the device.

>Okay, so I start looking at the registry on my good Tinybook and see that the default functional driver is set for SERIAL_CLASS. I decide that perhaps if I change that registry value to MASS_STOREAGE_CLASS that the device will be recognized not through Activesync, but as an external hard drive. So I make the change, and VIOLA...yep, my computer finds a new external storage drive and gives it a letter.
True.

>When I go to open it however, I am prompted that the device is not formatted, and do I want to do it now? Eeeks, I'd better stop before I turn another into a brick
You should instal ExFAT driver's if you are not using Vista/7. NAND is partitioned with ExFAT.

>Anyone know of any way to explore a NAND drive via Activesync?
You should find a way to learn, what DSK: it is. There is a key for chosing the number of disk in Mass_Strorage_Class key.

If you finally get to mounting the NAND partition having .hv files it will be dismounted and you will be able to delete your registry. After reset Tinybook will restore the default registry.

What kind of access to TinyBook do you have? Ask your questions, I will answer them.

Edited by Alt Bass 2010-12-28 6:03 PM
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-12-28 8:13 PM
#
Rich: If it helps any the .hv files are stored in the hidden \pocketmory\ partition. Maybe i'll try that mass storage reg edit on mine and plug it back into my linux machine. From there i should be able to tell you what partition (or disk) its located on.

Cheers
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-12-28 8:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Thanks Alt Bass. The Exfat drivers was what I was missing on my desktop. Now when plug in the Tinybook, it shows up like it should...but only shows the \pocketmorey\ folder.

Now I just need to figure out how to specify the other folders on the NAND drive.

Okay, I changed the hkey_local_machine\drivers\usb\functiondrivers\mass_storage_class devicename value from dsk1: to other numbers.

dsk1: is the \pocketmorey\ folder
dsk2: is the \system disk2 folder
dsk3: is the \flash driver folder

Changing to other numbers such as dsk4: dsk5:, etc... doesn't do a thing. No viewable windows from the desktop.

Still this is interesting enough as a learning experience.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-26 7:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

After many long weeks and months, I received a letter today from the service center in California for Matsunichi. It says in summary: The T706 is a discontinued item and no longer manufactured or supported. That licensed distributors were notified of this in the fall of 2009 as the last production of the device was during the summer of 2009.

I also received a side note from a service technician that explained that the ROM daughter board was made in two flavors, Linux and Windows CE...both entirely distinct and different and that the flash technique I was describing by holding down the right mouse button while powering on with an SD card in place only installed a few CE6 upgrades onto the device and was never meant to flash the entire device.

Just info for anyone who was interested...
 Top of the page
rrstieb Page Icon Posted 2011-03-31 2:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Anybody figure out how to unlock a password on these Tinybook T706 yet? Im afraid I just bought a $50 paper weight..
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-03-31 2:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You cannot unlock the password...that is part of the anti-theft system on them. It is stored in part of the secured NAND memory area on the daughterboard, along with the rest of the operating system bootloaders and main programs.

For the factory to remove it requires the thing be dismantled, the daughterboard removed, and then placed in a special receiver that connects the sub-board to another computer strictly set up for diagnostics and such. They esentially reformat the chip and then reinstall everything all over.
 Top of the page
rrstieb Page Icon Posted 2011-03-31 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Wow, Im screwed.,. thanks
Is there any value in it? Can Linux or any other OS be put on it??

Edited by rrstieb 2011-03-31 3:33 PM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2011-03-31 3:35 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2010-12-28 11:39 PM

Thanks Alt Bass. The Exfat drivers was what I was missing on my desktop. Now when plug in the Tinybook, it shows up like it should...but only shows the \pocketmorey\ folder.

Now I just need to figure out how to specify the other folders on the NAND drive.

Okay, I changed the hkey_local_machine\drivers\usb\functiondrivers\mass_storage_class devicename value from dsk1: to other numbers.

dsk1: is the \pocketmorey\ folder
dsk2: is the \system disk2 folder
dsk3: is the \flash driver folder

Changing to other numbers such as dsk4: dsk5:, etc... doesn't do a thing. No viewable windows from the desktop.

Still this is interesting enough as a learning experience.

Wait-wait... Do you mean you have an access to the registry on spoiled TinyBook?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-03-31 6:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nope, not on a spoiled one....back when I wrote that post in December...it was just a day or so before my Tinybook was stolen. That was from a good unit. If I could access the registry on a spoiled one, my problems would have been solved!

rrstieb, it is basically a very nice paperweight...just like my other one. Good for nothing. It has value as parts however...and if the only problem is that you are locked out of your because of the password...well that is just a matter of inputting the correct password. Eventually you may find it. If you decide to get rid of it, let me know...I sure could use the parts....though I'm not going to spend $50 for it....

Rich
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-03-31 8:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay, finally got it today....sweet, looks like new. But I'm confused....Opera Mini works perfectly with it....I didn't remember Opera Mini working with my other T706...am I wrong?

(t706.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments t706.jpg (97KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-03-31 8:46 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Funny thing is that no matter where you post a picture from in your underground layer there seems to always be a MP900 somewhere in the background...

Edited by Yoldering 2011-03-31 8:47 PM
 Top of the page
rrstieb Page Icon Posted 2011-03-31 10:09 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

This device I am referring to is on ebay now and I bid on it before I knew about the password lock out...Item number: 250794855758
Seller info
Member id ski.330
100% Positive feedback

This seller will not release me from my bid. His add leads one to believe its resolvable. I asked him to change the details to accurately reflect the status and condition of the devise.
We will see...

Hey Rich it may be your old one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250794855758&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 33