x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Tinybook support only

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Next »
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-09-01 5:54 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Thanks for the help. I'm slowly understanding and thanks to Rich, I found the \pocketmory directory. And I figured out a new font directory.

It seems that TinyBook's Desktop folder is already in a directory that remembers itself after reboot.

Finally, is it safe to hack the registry for changes in the system font? And if so, which CE guide should I use? I want to make certain I'm using the right registry figures for WT and HT.

Thanks again,
Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-09-01 2:10 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Okay, I'm getting there. I changed the font wt to 700 (from 400), and I'm getting a nice bold. But the ht is a strange number, in both hex and decimal, and doesn't match my Win CE 2.0 numbers in any way.

Has anyone else changed the system font height?

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-09-02 9:52 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

In /Windows, I see a restore.exe. Is that for a hard reset? If not, is there any way to hard reset a TinyBook?

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-09-02 11:22 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Never mind. Further searching here says we're on our own, recovery-wise.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-09-02 3:20 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I've looked in the threads and found no success, but has anybody ever tethered a cell phone to WinCE device? I see that in /Windows, there is the key usb8023.dll driver, originating from the W2K driver, but when I usb-connect my WinMo 6.53 phone and turn on its 3G, the TinyBook prompts for a driver.

When I type in "usb8023.dll", I don't get an error (which I get when I insert the names of other drivers), I just get a screen flicker, but the "Enter the name of..." box does not go away.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-09-02 5:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You're treading into new territory here Jake...good luck with your discovery and keep the rest of us posted as to any success you make.

On an entirely different note...did any of you know that there are two models of the T706? One with 128mb of ram and one with 256mb? They both function exactly the same, but they have slightly different cpu information.

One reports a Samsung STV2.2, ARM1176JZF-S-3C6400 in the control panel info, and the other reports (the 128mb one) SC_V1.11.5, ARM1176JZF-S

I'm not sure what the difference is if any, but there must be something different...but as far as functionality, I can't see any difference in performance...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-09-02 7:32 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks for the encouragement, Rich. I'm google-ing until my fingers bleed but any cell phone connection appears to come from the developers' side, and that's too scary for me. I'm hoping very much not to brick this thing. There's clearly a reg hack involved at least, since the TinyBook does recognize the phone's SD card without complaint for a driver.

Hadn't known there were two RAM versions of the TinyBook, but I'm definitely digging on this machine. I'm ashamed to say that this is the first CE device I've bought in six years--anything since has been Linux or some other OS.

I like the robust wifi and am so glad to be working with Textmaker again.

It's interesting to note that this is my fourth Chinese netbook, but it's the only one that has a different encasing. Every machine has the same keyboard, but the others are uniformly a little smaller (probably due to the mini-USB port of the TinyBook), and the only drawback of the TinyBook so far is that it won't fit into my 9" X 6" zip-up shells of ebay-bought planners.

I've ordered a used Franklin Planner (whose notebook rings I'll have to drill out) and I'm hoping for a good fit.

I had thought these guys had all the same casing.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-09-04 8:17 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Tired of perpetually logging in, etc, I held my breath, went into the registry and changed cokkies, history, and internet files to \System Disk\Temporary Internet Files, etc.

The change held through a reboot, and now all my passwords, etc. are stored. I moved Favorites to System Disk as well. This is the first time I've used this version of Pocket IE, and the speed is impressive. A couple of sites crash the machine, but since I mostly hit mobile sites, it bombs right along.

Jake
 Top of the page
GodMedia Page Icon Posted 2011-09-05 6:17 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey, gang! Sorry to have disappeared for the last few days. Had a big project (I'm a video producer) that took up all my time. For those who recall, I have a Tiny Book that is having DNS problems. I have checked every internet/network setting that I could possibly find and everything seems to match with all the settings on my other Tiny Book that does access the internet just fine.

It had been suggested that I try VXUtils which I found, quite happily, on the WinCE6Software collection (couldn't install the regular one as I am on a Mac and don't have ActiveSync). After puttering about in the menus, I don't think I really know what it is that I'm supposed to be looking for. Can anyone point me in a possible direction? Thank you!

PS:

I have just received 10 more Tiny Books (testing them now)! I also have a stash of about 4 Tiny Books that are password-locked (I recall reading that passwords can't be reset on these). I will be offering these all up as I get each tested and verified.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-09-05 11:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Wow, looks like we are going to have a CE6 Tinybook resurgence!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-09-05 4:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

GM--

Having just moved to Greece and battling the state-run ISP, I have had numerous connection wars. In my case, it all comes down to the router--its connections are tenuous and I have to reset all the time. Perhaps shut down all your computers, shut down the router/modem (and unplug everything connected to it), then try to rebuild the connection with the buggy TinyBook only.

That's the only thing that comes to mind.

Jake
 Top of the page
GodMedia Page Icon Posted 2011-09-06 3:28 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Jake,

Thanks!

I have actually disconnected my entire network and connected only this TinyBook to the modem directly and it still has the same issue.

-GM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-09-06 5:09 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Wow, you mean you connected by ethernet, no wifi? Is there another internet system, perhaps at work, you can try?

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-09-09 7:00 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Can anybody recommend a case for the TinyBook? The 8 1/2" length of the TB will fit a 9" x 6" planner shell (the shell's outside dimesnions), but the TB's 6" width won't work. It really needs a 9" x 7" shell, and I can't find that anywhere.

So I was wondering if somebody was using an alternative that would provide a certain snugness and some basic safety.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-09-09 12:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.207 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9