x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Tinybook support only

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... Next »
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-09-09 12:07 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hey, you're up early! That's a handsome one, to be sure, and the price is right, but I was hoping for something a little smaller, just for the TinyBook itself.

Jake
 Top of the page
GodMedia Page Icon Posted 2011-09-13 5:35 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

So, I'm sorry if this has been asked and/or answered before, but is there any hope at all for password-locked Tiny Book's? I mean, I understand that the password gets written permanently into the machine and can't be reset, but is there some other use for the machine such as for parts to repair other Tiny Book's?

I currently have 4 or 5 Tiny Books with passwords and no way of finding out what the passwords are. I can offer them up if anyone is interested, but I don't know that they'd do anyone any good or if I should just keep them for some future hacking project.

Thanks everyone!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-09-13 10:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Parts yes...you could replace the main pc board which contains all the user ports...the entire lcd assembly of course, case/shell, keyboard, these are all good parts. The part that is bad is the daughterboard. It is a secondary pc board internally that contains the NAND chip. That contains the operating system and the area where the passwords are stored. It cannot be accessed.

Anyone who owns a tinybook would love one of your password locked ones as backup parts....as there is no other source for parts. I know I'd love one.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-09-26 8:32 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

It's time to tell my trick to the public. I once succeeded in backing up a unlocked Viewsonic v212 (CE 5.0) and then using the backup to restore it to another password locked v212 (I even provided my backup to a member in Hong Kong to crack his v212). I thought I could do the same with Tinybook t706. Boy, MS has tightened the security of CE 6 and now insists a password before granting a sync between t706 and a host PC. Is there any other ways to hack into t706 from the host from USB port, Ethernet port, or boot from a SD card?

Edited by CAuser 2011-09-26 8:34 PM
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-09-28 10:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Oh, I guess there are 2 levels of locks. One is the screen lock using a PIN and the other is login lock using a password. I only once cracked the PIN lock on Viewsonic v212 with CE 5.0. It seems that password-locked login is harder or impossible to crack while PIN lock is easy (after all, there are only 10k possibilities from 0000 to 9999 on a numeral pad).
 Top of the page
marlene
marlene Page Icon Posted 2011-10-12 5:13 PM
#
hi do you know what ac plug i need for my tiny book t706, i loaned it out and now its missing, any other info u could give would be appreciated can not seem to get the wireless connected, thanks alot
 Top of the page
marlene schirrmacher
marlene schirrmacher Page Icon Posted 2011-10-13 1:56 AM
#
I know I may be asking out of place or out of turn but could you burn me one as well, i would be glad to pay shipping, thanks maybe
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-10-15 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Is there a service manual available? I removed all the screws and the battery, but I still can't open the case. Maybe, there is one more screw under the keyboard.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-10-15 8:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yes there is...after you take out the 11 screws on the bottom, there are 3 more to take out from the top when you lift up the keyboard...
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-10-15 11:31 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yeah, I removed the keyboard and found the screws. The daughter board contains 1 Samsung 931 K9G8G08U0A chip, 4 Samsung 922 K4H511638D-UCCC chips, and 1 Samsung S3C6410XH-66 0922 ARM. So, replacing the board will essentially replace the storage and CPU and make the password-protected TinyBook accessible provided the replacement is not password protected. In theory, replacing some of the chips on the board is also possible, but that would require special equipment and skills.

(Top.JPG)

(Bottom.JPG)

(ChipTop.JPG)

(ChipBottom.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Top.JPG (91KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Bottom.JPG (52KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments ChipTop.JPG (91KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments ChipBottom.JPG (91KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-10-16 10:21 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yes, that is true...but you need to find an operational daughterboard first....alas, I cannot find any. I already checked with the Matsunichi people in California and they cannot order them at all as they are not made.

Originally, they came in two flavors...a CE version and a Linux version...I wonder if there is some way a person can "reset" or flush the memory chip...

I'm sitting here with 3 Tinybooks that won't boot because of that daughterboard....arrrgh!

Here is another strange thing. I had 2 that wouldn't boot and 1 that was password protected. So for the hell of it I took out the daughterboards between the password protected one and one of the others and swapped them out. Now I have 3 that won't boot and I can no longer get to the screen that asks for the password.

I had one other idea...wonder if I could take a good working Tinybook registry....that one that is hidden in the pocketmorey folder and put it on an SD card and then see what happens when I boot with that inserted, holding down the right mouse button as I explained in an earlier post....anyone have those files that are good they could send me?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2011-10-16 3:58 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-10-16 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2011-10-16 2:21 AM

Here is another strange thing. I had 2 that wouldn't boot and 1 that was password protected. So for the hell of it I took out the daughterboards between the password protected one and one of the others and swapped them out. Now I have 3 that won't boot and I can no longer get to the screen that asks for the password.

I had one other idea...wonder if I could take a good working Tinybook registry....that one that is hidden in the pocketmorey folder and put it on an SD card and then see what happens when I boot with that inserted, holding down the right mouse button as I explained in an earlier post....anyone have those files that are good they could send me?

Did you mean you reinstalled the unprotected board to the one it originally belonged to and found it no longer boots? I can copy the files you need. Just tell me where to find them.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-10-16 5:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The registry files is what I was thinking...they are the hidden .hv files I am told and stored in the \pocketmorey folder. I was curious if that is what the Tinybook looks for on the SD card when booted up in the reflash mode...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-01 5:15 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'm having trouble figuring out some kind of PIM set-up for my TinyBook. First off, I can't get TinyBook to talk to ActiveSync 4.5 (I only seem to connect as "guest"), but maybe I don't care if only b/c of the generic absence of pocket outlook databases.

My workarounds so far are to download and save a month's view of my Google calendar through Pocket IE. That works.

My contacts are another thing, however. If I were able to extract my contacts database from a synched J-720, would CEPIMS be able to read this database? If so, what's the easiest way to extract it from the Jornada, and where would I put the contacts database on the TinyBook?

I'm much obliged for any help,
Jake

Edited by Jake 2011-11-01 5:15 AM
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10