x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC mobilepro 900 soft reset questions

Grasshopper Page Icon Posted 2010-04-29 10:35 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I just recently purchased one of these from a private seller on ebay. I get the thing working right out of the box, I plugged the charger in, put the cf card in, did a soft reset to clear out their files which were all over it.... and the whole thing went down for the count... I'm seeing a blank backlight screen and hearing sounds just by clicking (pointing) around but no video output... I've tried taking all the cards out doing the reset plugged in and not plugged into the charger, every combination... I am really hoping this isn't the Display and something that can be easily fixed... So much for a hard reset button on this model eh... Has anyone ever experienced anything like this??? I was hoping that I didn't lose the whole OS but I can hear the sounds, it's still there! This is the most freak thing I've ever seen, to turn it on and work perfectly out of the box, then just die when I soft reset it..... and I bought it thinking it was used gently and not a scrappy ebay companies failed refurb, as I do see screws missing from the case corners... you just can't get a good deal anymore even if you do see it all in front of you the internet is an illusion... it also didn't come with the activesync cable and driver cd... as stated it would... or the user manual.. as stated.. someone is going to get some livid feedback...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-04-29 10:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Two types of resets on this thing.

1. Soft reset just where you push the button on the bottom...fixes stuck programs
2. Hard reset where you pull both the main battery and the coin battery for 20 seconds...resets it to factory specs.

Sometimes the video cable is problematic on these things, can come loose during shippng. An easy fix if this is the case. One screw on the bottom removes the right hinge cover. Then you can see the video cable from the lcd to the motherboard. Normally it is held in place by a single screw and the ribbon connector.

Remove the cover, remove the screw...unclip the ribbon connector...clean it and reseat it firmly and reverse the process...then see what happens. If it doesn't solve the problem...send it back. Go to my website for disassembly instruction for the 900 and look for the hinge cover removal portion.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-04-29 11:18 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You can get a copy of the manual in H/PC:Update if you want one along with software.
 Top of the page
Grasshopper Page Icon Posted 2010-04-29 11:48 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Dude youre the the master... I didn't see a hard reset procedure even in the pdf manual which I assumed was a carbon copy.... I did open it up anyway and clean off that ribbon which had enough dog hair wrapped around it to make a wig... so I don't know what really made it work again, I'm thinking the ribbon being cleaned and un-kinked did it. But man you should be commissioned by fixya thats all I'll say about that.. You may think it's all common sense but I would never have taken these steps by myself with no guide, before I wasted more of my money on a computer store to "fix" it.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.141 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9